smilie request -- hospital birth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel
The thing I don't get in this thread is that everyone seems to assume that smilies=advocacy. To me they are just descriptive. If you want to have a sig that says "DD1 5/02/99 hospital c-section, DD2 5/03/01 hospital VBAC, DD3 5/04/04 home waterbirth," why should you get a graphic for the third kid and not for the first two? Isn't the whole thing just a description of your journey in cartoon form? I don't get how that would be a bad thing.
Exactly! I would love a hospital birth smiley just to show my experience. I had my first two in a hospital, medicated, andmy last two at home in the water!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#62 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 06:55 PM

:

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#63 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo
:
#64 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickidaWitch
I thought you'd like that!!

#65 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
Even when I was pregnant and I would tell people about my doula and our Bradley classes, people would say to me "oh so you'll have a natural childbirth." and I would say to them, "No, we are giving birth in a hospital, but my goal is an unmedicated birth."
I have only read the first page so far - but I have to disagree with this. I have had three natural births. By natural, I mean no interventions - no IV, no pain meds, not hooked up to any machines, able to move, eat, be in any position I choose. Calm, dimly lit, quiet (except for my primal noises toward the end there...), attended by my dh and a midwife.

One of these three natural births was in a hospital. One was in a freestanding birth center. One was at home. I don't consider the homebirth any more natural than the other two - I don't base natural on location. I do think it was a superior way to birth - but I don't think that natural childbirth in a hospital is impossible. Rare, yes! but not impossible.

All that said, I would vote no on a hospital birth smilie...
#66 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
Funny - I assume most here at MDC had home births, unless told otherwise.
This is the second poster to say this in as far as I've gotten in this thread (second page I think). I am very surprised that anyone assumes the majority here have homebirths. I've had one, and I know lots of people here have - but the majority? I would never assume that, even on MDC. Much more accepted, and a higher percentage than you'd find on any mainstream board for sure, just not the majority. Maybe we should do a poll???
#67 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The thing I don't get in this thread is that everyone seems to assume that smilies=advocacy.
A bit of MDC history: When there started being smilies that went beyond emoticons, they were essentially advocacy. Go back and look at some of the "We want a _____ smiley!" threads and read the discussions. (Hit the highest number page in Questions and Suggestions and come forward to find these.)

My own take on this -- however flaming some of you might feel that it is -- is summed up by this snippet from a post on this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=midwife It was originally posted in another thread in Birth and Beyond from 2003 that seems to no longer be in existence.

Quote:
I am enraged by people who "choose" to have births at hospitals because they are creating the "market" for interventionist births and they, out of fear, created the hospital birth as a mainstream birth. If there were no obstetricians, we would have a large supply of midwives. And I could have had a bigger selection to make a choice from.
If you want to know more about why I wrote that, check out the thread it is on and then search my posts for those with the word "midwife" in them. The doctors were horrible, too. Unfortunately, for those of you who think of the baby as the be-all-and-end-all, the day of birth of my son was the worst day of my life and I am still injured and still going to physical therapy. He is now 4.

I think of a hospital birth as an interventionist-birth-in-waiting. Despite some individuals claim to having had a totally un-intervening experience, being in a hospital means that the risk of having escalating interventions is high.

Edited to add: I don't really like the "lifestyle" siggies. But, that is just my taste. When I'm curious about the lifestyle things, I go to someone's profile. These days, not many people have things in their profiles. I tend to like (and remember) signatures that have nifty or interesting quotations or commentary. It helps me remember the person -- like Tracy's "Let's Kegel!"
#68 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten
I have only read the first page so far - but I have to disagree with this.
This honestly confuses me. What is there to disagree with, it's a fact, it is what I said to people.
#69 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The thing I don't get in this thread is that everyone seems to assume that smilies=advocacy. To me they are just descriptive. If you want to have a sig that says "DD1 5/02/99 hospital c-section, DD2 5/03/01 hospital VBAC, DD3 5/04/04 home waterbirth," why should you get a graphic for the third kid and not for the first two? Isn't the whole thing just a description of your journey in cartoon form? I don't get how that would be a bad thing.
Thanks for that. That is all I was trying to get at

Namaste, Tara
#70 of 245 Old 05-26-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
This honestly confuses me. What is there to disagree with, it's a fact, it is what I said to people.
Well, I clearly am not disagreeing that it is what you SAID to people.... I am disagreeing with the opinion that one cannot have natural childbirth in a hospital.

I took Bradley classes too. I learned what to avoid and what to do instead. My birth at the hospital was very similar (physically, not emotionally) to my birth center birth and homebirth. I consider all three of my births - even though they were in three different locations - to be natural.

I think the lack of medical interventions is what constitutes "natural childbirth".

Is it somehow "more" natural to birth at home? Well, yes, even I will agree to that. Obviously I see the value in birthing outside of the hospital - I did it twice. But I don't think that the mere hospital location means you CANNOT have a natural birth. You are risking a lot; it is more likely to end poorly - but I think you can have a "natural birth" in any location.
#71 of 245 Old 05-27-2006, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten
Well, I clearly am not disagreeing that it is what you SAID to people.... I am disagreeing with the opinion that one cannot have natural childbirth in a hospital.

I took Bradley classes too. I learned what to avoid and what to do instead. My birth at the hospital was very similar (physically, not emotionally) to my birth center birth and homebirth. I consider all three of my births - even though they were in three different locations - to be natural.

I think the lack of medical interventions is what constitutes "natural childbirth".

Is it somehow "more" natural to birth at home? Well, yes, even I will agree to that. Obviously I see the value in birthing outside of the hospital - I did it twice. But I don't think that the mere hospital location means you CANNOT have a natural birth. You are risking a lot; it is more likely to end poorly - but I think you can have a "natural birth" in any location.
ITA. Though there's no exact definition of "natural" with regards to childbirth, it's generally used to specify a birth with minimal intervention. I’ve heard it used synonymous to “vaginal,” but I’ve never heard it used solely to imply location. As previous posters have pointed out, it’s very possible to have more interventions at home than in a hospital, and therefore the location meaning would be very ambiguous.
#72 of 245 Old 05-27-2006, 10:31 AM

I support the VBAC smilie.

I'm suprised by some of the posts here that suggest that MDC define itself as being in favor of whatever is NOT mainstream. Isn't the whole point that we want to discover together what the best parenting practices are for our kids and educate people about them so that those practices DO become mainstream???

DH and I were talking about this thread, and he would also like to request a "couvade" smilie. Like this one, , but bald and with chest hair.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#73 of 245 Old 05-27-2006, 03:16 PM

I know I am butting in here, especially considering that most of you other moms have been here considerably longer than what I have, but....

I sort of feel like there should be an icon that says or implies (whatever) hospital birth.

I so badly wanted a home birth...I had it all planned out. (and finally convinced dh!) And yet my dreams came to a hault when I had to have a c-section. (three hospitals in ONE day!). Long story, but I ended up delivering at 27 weeks. I was in labor and didn't know it, and by the time the second hospital caught it I was 6 cm dialated and the mag wasn't helping. But I still 'gave' birth, I still had a baby, (though it sometimes doesn't feel like it, when my baby is hooked up to so many ivs and monitors in a hospital 40 miles away) and I feel like it should be celebrated.

I wanted to practice everything "natural" that I possibly can for my health, and the health of my baby. Now many of the things I wanted to do I can't (baby girl will be in NICU for 10-12 weeks) but I am still going to strive to do whatever I can that is in her best interest. (ie baby wearing, ect ect)

I wanted a homebirth, I didn't get a chance to. I know mothering.com is NFL, but what if you can't help it? Should we be penalized and not get to celebrate via an icon? If it wasn't for the hospital by baby is in, she wouldn't be here right now. For that I am greatful and want to cherish openly.

Just my .02
#74 of 245 Old 05-27-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Are hospital births un-natural? always?
Generally. If you follow hospital policy, they are. From my experience and everything that I've read and heard, you have to fight to have a legitimately natural hospital birth. I had to switch from the midwife I had wanted to use with dd because even if I used her at the hospital, they (the hospital) still required a 20 minute external fetal monitoring strip, which I wasn't comfortable with. But they wouldn't have "let" me do a waterbirth without it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#75 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 08:39 PM

My hospital birth was completely natural. 100%. I got to the hospital and ten minutes later dd was born, in the position I wanted, with no interventions (not even an IV) Nobody is going to tell me it wasn't natural just because she made her appearance in a hospital. That's arrogant.
#76 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 08:49 PM

I don't think you can say your experience is the norm for hospital births though Curly. Would you?

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#77 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM

Probably not. I just resent the implication that somehow my birth was not natural simply because it occured at a hospital.
#78 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
A non-place specific natural birth smilie would be nice though.
I agree.

Some people MUST be in a hospital setting for their birthing experience -- those of us with blood clots, for example. I had no medication for my first baby, and "went natural" -- but I had a huge blood clot and had to be in a hospital from 38 weeks to 2 weeks postpartum (I was high risk for..well,...death).

I'm proud that had no drugs, and I certainly am happy I was in a hospital (given the circumstances)
#79 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry
Probably not. I just resent the implication that somehow my birth was not natural simply because it occured at a hospital.
Me too.
#80 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine
Me too.
You rock, natural birthin' mama!

I'm all for a natural birth smiley...non place specific, too.
#81 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
LOL Pynki!

The point is, hospital birth does not need advocacy and is assumed to be the case where nothing else is specified. So I'm not seeing the need for a proud little smilie...about following the mainstream.

Exactly!
#82 of 245 Old 05-28-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#83 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 03:46 PM
EVC

Quote:
ITA! I had a hospital birth. Do I advocate hospital births? No. Do I wish I could have done things differently? Yes. But I had one for various reasons (including the fact that in the country where I gave birth it simply wouldn't have been feasible--even with a hospital birth, it took us a month and the intervention of two government ministries and a foreign embassy for her birth to even be officially acknowledged, but I digress...). My point is that in different circumstances, I probably would have done things differently. And I don't believe that hospital births are necessarily the best way to go. But I do celebrate the birth of my beautiful daughter. And it's kind of hurtful when people imply that a hospital birth isn't "AP enough." I thought AP was a more complex philosophy than just a checklist of behaviors

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#84 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Sheesh.

I had my first two naturally in the hospital with the same midwife who delivered my third at home.

I think a smilie for natural hospital birth would be nice. Or any kind of hospital birth, actually. Why not? Why would anyone mind?... unless they have their own personal issues they are taking out on others. And I don't consider having your baby in a hospital to be following the mainstream, anyway...

Since women are all so different, just like our babies, you can't give someone a blanket judjement like that...or at least you shouldn't, imo.

Women have enough hurdles and enemies as it is. Why behave like another one?

SMILE ON, HOSPITAL MAMAS.

Here's one you can use right away until we get a real one made:

H
#85 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansavi
Sheesh.

I had my first two naturally in the hospital with the same midwife who delivered my third at home.

I think a smilie for natural hospital birth would be nice. Or any kind of hospital birth, actually. Why not? Why would anyone mind?... unless they have their own personal issues they are taking out on others. And I don't consider having your baby in a hospital to be following the mainstream, anyway...

Since women are all so different, just like our babies, you can't give someone a blanket judjement like that...or at least you shouldn't, imo.

Women have enough hurdles and enemies as it is. Why behave like another one?

SMILE ON, HOSPITAL MAMAS.

Here's one you can use right away until we get a real one made:

H
H

~Gabbi~ Life experienced by me..... Mommy to 4 chicken3.gif,Furry Babies x 2 dog2.gif,and the love of my life trekkie.gif

#86 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 08:15 PM

MDC has changed so much.
#87 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita
MDC has changed so much.
I hear ya sister.
#88 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita
MDC has changed so much.
I agree. It used to be so much more peaceful and open. Now I feel that it's really hard to know what the "right" answer is to score the most points.

But maybe that's not what you meant... ?
#89 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I agree. It used to be so much more peaceful and open. Now I feel that it's really hard to know what the "right" answer is to score the most points.

But maybe that's not what you meant... ?
I can not even remember my exact words to my original post...my daughter was trying to "share the computer with me" on the build a bear website, This is what my original post should have said: (I think )

When I first joined MDC, I was shocked, I didn't even know there were more convenient cloth diapers....wanted to do everything differently with my 3rd...I had no clue there were so many options for me.

I was in a constant state of

#90 of 245 Old 05-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
GREAT idea! I had two hospital births (but didn't plan to be there for either). That would be great!
Ya know..maybe it was my stupidity (gee I think I mentioned that before ) But where I live (feel free to PM me for the state ) the homebirth experience is just not discussed and if so RARELY.... why is that? Is it due to laws or legislation??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page