smilie request -- hospital birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 245 Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see all the homebirth and home waterbirth smilies. What about ahospital birth one? Hear me out: Lots of pepole chose hospital birth and lots of people have positive ones (myself included). Some people have home and hospital births (myself included), maybe they'd like to point that out. Maybe a hospital-waterbirth one? or take one of the other birthy ones and just make it say "hosp"? I dunno, The thought just crossed my mind

Namaste, Tara
#2 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 08:46 AM

GREAT idea! I had two hospital births (but didn't plan to be there for either). That would be great!
#3 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Um? What? Is this another case of know where you are?

Besides we have this smilie : which appears to be wearing hospital garb, so I would assume a hospital birth since no one I know wore a hair net for their homebirth.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#4 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 11:00 AM

yeah, and what about smilies for public schooling and private schooling, since we have the home schooling one after all. And how about smilies for strollering and cribsleeping, we shouldn't be excluding all those poor mamas with bad backs or who just can't co-sleep. And the baby bottle smilie?

nothing more to say I guess :
#5 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 AM

Pynki.... I thought that was a bonnet, not a hairnet!
And the waterbirth one doesn't specify home or hospital, so I don't see the point of that.... anyway, why would anyone want a hospital smilie when it is assumed that is what you had, as it is what most people have? Even here, right?
#6 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 11:41 AM

HUH. You could be right Snowy. I always thought it was sperm+egg, multiply, push it out. YEAH~

#7 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris
yeah, and what about smilies for public schooling and private schooling, since we have the home schooling one after all.
Oh - that's a really good idea!

Quote:
Um? What? Is this another case of know where you are?
What does that mean? That at MDC hospital birth is wrong?

And I think that smilie with the hat or whatever is a baby in a baby bonnet - not a hospital hair net. What hopitals use hair nets anyway? I've never seen that.
#8 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 11:58 AM

I think some hospitals use hairnets, or plastic hair thingies for sanitary reasons.

And I use a public school, but it would be really silly to want a public school smilie. People have homeschool smilies because it's *different*, it doesn't mean "better". Same with homebirth. It doesn't mean hospital birth is "wrong".
#9 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:04 PM

MDC is supposed to be THE natural family living site. NOT The SORTA, KINDA, WHEN IT FITS INTO MY LIFESTYLE, AND DOESN'T CRAMP MY FLOW natural family living community.

There are very few places that support things like homebirth, UC, homeschooling. THOSE are things that Mothering Magazine in the past has stood for. Things it has espoused, and encouraged (Well maybe not the UC, but the others).

I don't want MDC to become baby center lite. MDC WAS about the other things people did. Not the mainstream. Not hospital births. I mean really. Why don't we have C/S smilies, or EPI smiles?

#10 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Are hospital births un-natural? always?

What about home births with interventions? cohosh? antibiotic IVs? pitocin after birth?
#11 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Good points, Pynki.
I don't think it is about bashing hospital births at all. I understand that people want smilies that represent them, but some things are kind of assumed, unless stated otherwise. I don't need a smilie that says "car driving, tap-water using, meat-eating, white lady"... like, who gives a crap?
#12 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy Owl
I think some hospitals use hairnets, or plastic hair thingies for sanitary reasons.

And I use a public school, but it would be really silly to want a public school smilie. People have homeschool smilies because it's *different*, it doesn't mean "better". Same with homebirth. It doesn't mean hospital birth is "wrong".
if it isn't "wrong" in some people's viewpoints, why the negative reactions to mamatara's suggestion here?

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#13 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy Owl
Good points, Pynki.
I don't think it is about bashing hospital births at all. I understand that people want smilies that represent them, but some things are kind of assumed, unless stated otherwise. I don't need a smilie that says "car driving, tap-water using, meat-eating, white lady"... like, who gives a crap?

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#14 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:18 PM

LOL Pynki!

The point is, hospital birth does not need advocacy and is assumed to be the case where nothing else is specified. So I'm not seeing the need for a proud little smilie...about following the mainstream.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#15 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
Are hospital births un-natural? always?
You mean an unmedicated birth? You can say "unmedicated birth" but I don't know how that would be represented in a picture. A needle crossed out with a red line? That would work, I think. The focus then isn't on "hospital".
#16 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink
What does that mean? That at MDC hospital birth is wrong?
I don't think she is saying that it is wrong. But look at the banner on the top of your screen, "The Natural Family Living Community". There is nothing natural about birthing in a Hospital. That is not meant to take away from the beauty and joy that comes with having a baby in any setting. But you might remember that there was a request some time ago for a C/S smile, and Cynthia, I believe, had some nice things to say but still rejected the idea. As well I believe she should have.

I don't fit perfectly into the NFL mold. But I love to come here, because I am learning. I think as buying Organic Produce and using natural products becomes more "vogue" there are many more women seeking out this information. And because of that here at MDC we have a wider variety of people. That has both it's advantages and disadvantages. The biggest disadvantage is that a woman like me, who comes here to learn (and goof off in TAO) have to filter through so much more crap in order to find the real natural family living info, that will help me.

I had a hospital birth. I planned it that way, I was too scared to even consider a homebirth. Now I had an extraordinary birth. One that I am sure many women would love the hear about. But I'm not ever posting my birth story here. It was a hospital birth, it's not the place for it. If I wanted to share the story I'd post it at one of the mainstream boards. Even when I was pregnant and I would tell people about my doula and our Bradley classes, people would say to me "oh so you'll have a natural childbirth." and I would say to them, "No, we are giving birth in a hospital, but my goal is an unmedicated birth."

We don't need Hospital Birth smiles, or Public School smiles or Stroller or bottle baby smiles. There are plenty of other boards out there where those would be appropriate, here is not the place.
#17 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Wow you ladies are fast, and I type slow. There were like 10 more replies while I typed out my long winded response above.

Yes, On The Brink, hospital births are Un-natural.
#18 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavierchick
if it isn't "wrong" in some people's viewpoints, why the negative reactions to mamatara's suggestion here?
I think other people have said it well already. And I think a lot of people are bothered by how Mothering is becoming less and less a NFL/AP place, when there are countless mainstream parenting sites out there already. Countless. Places where people think breastfeeding is "icky". Who wants to bring more of that attitude here?
#19 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj
LOL Pynki!

The point is, hospital birth does not need advocacy and is assumed to be the case where nothing else is specified.
Well, the thing about the unmedicated birth smilie has me thinking... I think advocating non-intervention in a hospital setting could be a good thing, as many women are forced to use hospitals when they would rather not. So a smilie that does this is much different than just an non-specific "hospital birth" smilie.
#20 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Holy cow Snowy Owl, you said what I was going to say before I could say it twice now.

That is freaky. I think I love you.

Yeah, everything you said.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#21 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:32 PM

nikirj, we find Love in unexpected places....

#22 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
So I'm not seeing the need for a proud little smilie... about following the mainstream.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess
We don't need Hospital Birth smiles, or Public School smiles or Stroller or bottle baby smiles. There are plenty of other boards out there where those would be appropriate, here is not the place.
And

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#23 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:39 PM

Reading this made me think about the part of my hospitals births that I am most proud of the fact that the last 2 were VBACs, quite a feat in today's atmosphere! We should have VBAC smilies!!!!!!!!1

Punk, hippy, mama to 4 amazing kiddos, Boy#1 (18), TheGirl (13), Boy#2 (11- PBD) and Boy#3 (6)
#24 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madre Piadosa
Reading this made me think about the part of my hospitals births that I am most proud of the fact that the last 2 were VBACs, quite a feat in today's atmosphere! We should have VBAC smilies!!!!!!!!1
Kinda surprised we don't, actually!

#25 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 02:26 PM

Hospital births are "normal" for most people. MDC celebrates the non-mainstream. Things like hospital birth are automatic in peoples mind. Homebirth is not. That's why we have things saying we homebirth. Hospital birth doesn't need a smilie because people assume that's what you're having.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#26 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pynki
Besides we have this smilie : which appears to be wearing hospital garb, so I would assume a hospital birth since no one I know wore a hair net for their homebirth.

Dude that's a baby bonnet

Quote:
LOL Pynki!

The point is, hospital birth does not need advocacy and is assumed to be the case where nothing else is specified. So I'm not seeing the need for a proud little smilie...about following the mainstream.
:
#27 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
But I'm not ever posting my birth story here. It was a hospital birth, it's not the place for it.
I posted my hospital birth story here(as have many others) and got very supportive responses. As a PP stated, not everyone wants/can have a homebirth, and hearing about natural hospital births can be very empowering(and are hard to come by on other boards). When I was pregnant, I loved reading about homebirths, I loved reading about natural hopital births, I loved reading about medicated births, and I loved reading about c-section births. I learned something from all of them.
Quote:
Yes, On The Brink, hospital births are Un-natural.
I had a natural birth in a very un-natural place.

As for the hospital birth smilie idea: I had a hospital birth, but I really dislike the idea of a hospital birth smilie. I'm disappointed that I had a hospital birth, and I don't think it should be encouraged as being normal or seen as something to be proud of. I do, however, love the idea of an unmedicated-birth smilie.
#28 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Hospital birth doesn't need a smilie because people assume that's what you're having.
here on MDC, i assume homebirth unless people say otherwise.

i like the idea of an unmedicated birth smilie but not a hospital birth smilie. just doesn't seem necessary, somehow.

raising my two sunshine children.

#29 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStarMom
I had a natural birth in a very un-natural place.
I had three hospital births and though they were unmedicated there was nothing "natural" about them. I learned that when I had my home water birth with my last son. I used to call them natural births but now that term seems so misleading. *sigh*

Stephany
#30 of 245 Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=la mamita]here on MDC, i assume homebirth unless people say otherwise.[QUOTE]

Here's a snapshot: on my DDC, the majority are planning hospital births... for a variety of reasons. But some of those people are planning to cloth diaper, AP, are learning about eating organic (me too)... as far as I know all are planning to BF. & converse probably some of the people planning hb are not planning on CD, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page