MDC going Google - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
Off topic but is "banned" your senior title? Or your status? If so, how are you posting? :
it is neither.

you know me, though. It is my ddddc
#62 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolas View Post
it is neither.

Thanks! I was wondering the same thing...
#63 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 PM

this doesn't sit well with this nonmaterialist momma!
#64 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
Me too. That's why I'm trying to think of things that we can do as a community to save MDC.
#65 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
If I stumbled across MDC and saw that in order to be a member I would need to pay $3.00, I wouldn't do it. I would've just kept searching for another forum. I like to post and get the feel of a forum before I know if I'm going to stay or not. Maybe if certain forums are off limits except with paid membership, kind of like you can't access TAO or TP before X amount of posts like it is now??

Any webpage that ask for my CC number I close. I don't care if they want $1 or $50.
#66 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM

I would pay to keep it sane(ish ) here too.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#67 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Or do advertisers only pay if someone purchases something as a result of the click-thru?????
Nope, it's strictly pay-per-click.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#68 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Any webpage that ask for my CC number I close.
I don't even own a cc. If I have to leave, well, I think that door has been opened for me more than once now......I actually don't belong to another site b/c they require annual dues and I'm cheap like that. Couldn't they do more like warnings to non use users that accounts will be shut down and we seem to have the dddc ball rolling and maybe more charity stuff and those who can help out financially, voluntarily do so, w/pm box reminders or something?? How do other "free" sites remain free, aside of banner ads?
#69 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I don't even own a cc. If I have to leave, well, I think that door has been opened for me more than once now......I actually don't belong to another site b/c they require annual dues and I'm cheap like that.
I totally agree. I won't pay for a membership to a messageboard. I really like MDC, but I'm not going to pay to have a basic membership.
Quote:
Couldn't they do more like warnings to non use users that accounts will be shut down and we seem to have the dddc ball rolling and maybe more charity stuff and those who can help out financially, voluntarily do so, w/pm box reminders or something?? How do other "free" sites remain free, aside of banner ads?
THANK YOU!! Delete accounts that are inactive. If you didn't post in 60 days, delete the account. If there's special circumstances, then PM someone and let them know what's going on..

Also, archive the threads worth archiving, and delete those that are years old. Every little bir helps, right?
#70 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 PM

I bought a sub when it was on special a while ago and will probably renew it when the time comes up again...
I don't think that making everyone pay would really work...I think a lot of people want to become part of a community before making the choice to invest a bit in it... however, I think that it would be a good tradeoff to pay a sub for the adds to go away...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#71 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
it is neither.

Very cool DDDDC!

And to who you are.
#72 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Well I for one think that this explains A LOT of things that have been happening at MDC lately.

I don't like it. This is an online community that is supposed to support mothers and motherhood. Well when you take into consideration that mothers with children are a HUGE demographic with PROFIT potential..................

How many articles have appeared in the magazine about keeping childhood simple? About avoiding marketing practices that seek to use our families for corporate profit? How many of us as members are opposed to this kind of thing with the very core of our beings?

So, Mothering has gone corporate? When will the stocks be made public? : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
#73 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:58 PM

Greenie and all of the others who are trying to find a solution I am not trying to discount you. This "idea" upsets me very, very much.

I was upset when I learned that the ad rates for WAHMs were raised. Now corporate sponsorship is more desireable than Mothers supporting Mothers.

So to keep Google out, the mothers have to find a way to do it. I know, I agree, but right now I'm just plain old mad.
#74 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Very cool DDDDC!

And to who you are.
excuse me, my dear, but i'm feeling rebuffed! i called you something fantastic in a recent thread and i'm not in your siggy! who do i have to do to get some riversky love?
#75 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
How do other "free" sites remain free, aside of banner ads?
A site I've belonged to since 2002 has what's called Supporting Memberships. It's purely voluntary. Members who have the desire and the means can sign up for the Supporting Membership. There are varying levels of Support Membership, from $3.50 - $7.50/month but the perks are the same whether one pays $3.50 or $7.50. The Supporting Members can pay monthly, annually, and any member can "gift" a Supporting Membership to another member.

As for the perks the SMs get - they have a small icon on their profile (it doesn't show up next to the post, you have to click the person's profile to see it) but the icon is like a signature. It can be turned off so if one doesn't want to advertise the SM status one doesn't have to. Support Members have access to the Support Members Forum, where discussions relating to Support Membership issues are held, as well as special activities in which Support Members can participate. These are generally of an informal and entertaining nature.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#76 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 PM

The Google thing doesn't bother me any. We've had it over at Diaper Pin for ages, and it has never caused any problems for me. In truth, I don't even look at it.
#77 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Spyware catchers that are proactive (perhaps "preventative" would be a better word) are pretty expensive and since I've never purchased one, I have no idea whether they work. Using Ad-Aware by Lavasoft, and cleaning up my computer every day, I can see which sites give ad-ware/spyware pretty easily and definitely, google ads add stuff to your computer. It's freaky.
I run Linux, but I've had Spywareblaster on ds's comp for years and I put it on users' machines in the very first stages of cleaning up messes. It's free and seems to do a pretty good job. I only run Ad-Aware and Spybot once a week, when ds is at a class.

It's free.
#78 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 PM

Sigh. I'm subbing to keep up with the ideas everyone is coming up with. I hope TPTB take them seriously.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#79 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
The Google thing doesn't bother me any. We've had it over at Diaper Pin for ages, and it has never caused any problems for me. In truth, I don't even look at it.
So, it is not that bad, for real? Kinda like how I no longer pay attn to the upper ads? Occasionally one will catch my eye, but really, I ignore it-the whole banner bar. So, this google thing will be a giant side bar that maybe I can change my screen settings and not even see or acknowledge?? Tell me yes.
#80 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:12 PM

I'm happy to see these ideas being thrown out here, but are the admins reading this. Okay, what I mean is are they going to take this into consideration, or is it already set in stone?

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#81 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
So, it is not that bad, for real? Kinda like how I no longer pay attn to the upper ads? Occasionally one will catch my eye, but really, I ignore it-the whole banner bar. So, this google thing will be a giant side bar that maybe I can change my screen settings and not even see or acknowledge?? Tell me yes.
I just hopped over to Diaper Pin to see what kind of Goodle ads I'd get.
On the main page there was an AD for four different cloth diapering companies.
On the off Topics page there were two ADs for cloth diapers, one for disposables, and one for diaper products for the elderly
On the Parenting forum the ad was for Oral B toothpaste.
On the breastfeeding forum there was an ad for nursing clothing, breastfeeding support products, and breastfeeding blankets.

Granted, sometime's we've gotten ads for some pretty weird things: the doggie diapers come to mind!@ But those get filtered out over time. And the ads are very non-obtrusive. I was not kidding when I said I never, ever notice them.
#82 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
A site I've belonged to since 2002 has what's called Supporting Memberships. It's purely voluntary. Members who have the desire and the means can sign up for the Supporting Membership. There are varying levels of Support Membership, from $3.50 - $7.50/month but the perks are the same whether one pays $3.50 or $7.50. The Supporting Members can pay monthly, annually, and any member can "gift" a Supporting Membership to another member.

As for the perks the SMs get - they have a small icon on their profile (it doesn't show up next to the post, you have to click the person's profile to see it) but the icon is like a signature. It can be turned off so if one doesn't want to advertise the SM status one doesn't have to. Support Members have access to the Support Members Forum, where discussions relating to Support Membership issues are held, as well as special activities in which Support Members can participate. These are generally of an informal and entertaining nature.
Now see, to me this sounds good and smart b/c when you make it voluntary, with just maybe gentle reminders or cheerleaders, it doesn't feel like we have to or are obligated to spend money. Sometimes I'm feelin free and feel like I can spend $50, when other times I feel like I can't give even .05. kwim? (numbers are arbitrary, btw). And I KNOW for a fact, many mdc wahms and artisans are generous w/their wares......charity auctions at mdc, ohhh myyy....didn't they used to do those anyway??
#83 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooter View Post
I'm happy to see these ideas being thrown out here, but are the admins reading this. Okay, what I mean is are they going to take this into consideration, or is it already set in stone?
I don't know, but I've never been known to take stones seriously, unless they came off a big mountain or someone was throwin them at me. I'm going for tabula rasa right now.

eta: I read it as they are going to give the right side bar a whirl......and see.....I wonder if they signed off yet? and for how long a period, if so...
#84 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
excuse me, my dear, but i'm feeling rebuffed! i called you something fantastic in a recent thread and i'm not in your siggy! who do i have to do to get some riversky love?
Harumph! Is that better now? I was actually just searching your past posts, both here and there, and trying to find some inspiration for a DDDDC, now you've gone and RUINED the surprise! :nana:

That's okay, I'll still give you one, it's just going to be more snarky than I was planning.

#85 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 PM

Why aren't old user accounts (very old inactive ones that have zero posts from a year or so ago) that take up server space? Some of them have never posted or have 1 post and that's it.

I'm not really cool with the google thing.
#86 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Long thread but glad I read it. I'm relieved that some many others feel like I do. I'm not happy about it either. I totally think that Motherign could have tried to come up with a creative idea other than google ads.

I'm shocked and upset that WAHM's pay as much as they do to advertise!!

What else is there to say? Part of me isn't surprised but it's still very disappointing. I also wonder if any of the admin are even taking any of these thoughts into consideration.

On the UA, was there any feedback (yet) on the concerns so many members had?
#87 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I run Linux, but I've had Spywareblaster on ds's comp for years and I put it on users' machines in the very first stages of cleaning up messes. It's free and seems to do a pretty good job. I only run Ad-Aware and Spybot once a week, when ds is at a class.

It's free.
Cool, thank you, I'm going to try it.
#88 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know, but I've never been known to take stones seriously, unless they came off a big mountain or someone was throwin them at me.

Sticks and stones!

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

#89 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnr3301 View Post
I'm a little bitter about the way we have been told to report the offending ads: send the url to an address, which means we have to click on the ad, copy the url, and send it to mdc. If it offends me, I'm not exactly in line to click on it.

Quote:
It'd be pretty "funny" if MDC profitted from us clicking on ads to complain about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
I think that promoting the paid accounts, DDDDC's, siggy ads, and doing tiers of advertising is a better option; Like, the banner at the top of the page costs $500 a month.. A banner at the bottom could be $300 a month. Personally, I'd rather look at a WAHM banner than a Google ad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa72 View Post
I would pay to keep it sane(ish ) here too.
I agree. It just doesn't seem right. (shrug) I guess we'll see.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#90 of 188 Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Over half the parenting forums I visit with any regularity {meaning more than 1x per quarter} have adwords ads. They're annoying but if it keeps the forums going, for the most part I ignore them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post
I have to remove so much spyware from the users pcs in my business from Google and Yahoo toolbars and enhancements its not even funny.
Off topic but what do you suggest be used instead of Yahoo toolbar for tabbed browsing, highlighting search terms in a webpage, and instant searching? These are the only reasons I've kept my yahoo toolbar after ditching MSN last year... TIA

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page