Racism: An Educational Seminar/Workshop - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Shay, I don't want to say too much until we get the outline finalized, but the approach is going to be one of awareness, what is racism and how it relates to our everday lives and community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Savageau View Post
This will be her first racism workshop, but she has been involved in many birth workshops and she has a lot of experience with racism.
I have no doubt that, as a woman of color, Karen Salt has a lot of experience with racism. Most, probably all, people of color in this country do. But, that experience doesn't mean that she has the experience or knowledge to break it down enough or to reach those here who don't have that experience and therefore don't understand it and even, in too many cases, deny that it exists. It's not an easy process, as is illustrated all too frequently on this board.

When I was googling for information, I was looking more for professional experience than personal. Is this the same Karen Salt that shows up as a student at Purdue? I think there was some profession experience there. When I look at qualifications, I'm looking for specifics and I haven't seen that yet. For example, when I update my resume or my husband's, I include the workshop we designed to guide teachers in recognizing their own racial biases in the classroom and how that impact their students. That's a specific example of our experience in that area and I guess I've just been looking for something similar here.

But, really, so many names have been suggested with so much experience behind them. Shay has led workshops, right? I'm sure I read that earlier in this thread.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Good point Missy.

Is there and intro that Karen has for this sort of thing? Are we still set for the week of March 12th?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

any further details? Time, exact date, agenda?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Oh, that's right!! It's supposed to be starting around the 12th, right? And that's just next week!

I'm so excited! It seems like we've been discussing this forever!

Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Here is a small bio on Karen Salt;
Quote:
Karen Salt has a Bachelor's of Arts Degree with Honors in Sociology, a Master's Degree with a focus on Race, Gender, and Nationalism, and is currently completing a Doctorate focusing on Race Theory, Politics, and Revolutions. With a background in conducting cultural diversity seminars, and cultural competency trainings, Karen Salt brings to this experience a love of learning, a commitment to teaching, and a healthy respect for the knowledge that lies within us all.

The workshop is set to open the week of March 12 if all goes well You should see the forum going up this week. It will be closed to posting until it’s all in place, but we will try to get some resources posted soon. Again, if you have some resources you think would be helpful, please PM me and I’ll add them.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

oooh Karen looks great. Thanks for the added info about her.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Thank you! That bio had exactly the kind of info I had been looking for!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:25 AM

This is exciting! I'm really looking forward to learning.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM

I am setting aside a big chunk of next week's internet time to devote to this seminar/workshop, right now. How exciting!

And I can imagine that I will be spending a lot of that time examining my current thoughts & assumptions- I'm looking forward to replacing them, tbh...

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
oooh Karen looks great. Thanks for the added info about her.

: Looking forward to this workshop.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I see the new forum. So how does this turn into a seminar? Will there be a chat with Karen Salt? Will she participate in threads?

How will this work?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Thanks for asking. We're still working out the details. Karen has this week off her studies and she just returned from a seminar, so she's taking a few well deserved days to reconnect with her family and rest.

We plan on recording a podcast this week to make the workshop more interactive. Each exercise in the workshop will be in the form of a discussion thread. Our moderator georgia has kindly offered to moderate

Keep your eyes open for more info.

I'm still looking for resources such as book or movie recomendations. Please pm me if you have any suggestons.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM

I know I'm a wee bit slow when it comes to online stuff sometimes, & sometimes I miss threads/things..

Basically, the workshop is going to be a series of podcasts that we can listen to & then comment upon in a thread within the forum, is that about right? I apologise if this has already been covered..

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 03-21-2007, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

How's it coming?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 AM

Crikey, has it really been almost a week since I checked here!!

I'm with AG- how's it going? And it will be podcast, right??

Come on, throw a mama a bone here, I'm busy Monday & Tuesday, but i'd like to have something like an on-line racism workshop to sink my teeth into on the rest of the weekdays......

Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM

Hi everyone, we're waiting on a few edit changes, but everything is in place. The podcast will be a recording and more of an introduction to the workshop. The first exercise will last a few weeks to give eveyone a chance to participate at their own pace

Check the forum for updates. As soon as I get edit changes, we'll be ready to roll!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Guidelines are now in place We're hoping to get the first exercise posted soon. I'm recording a podcast with Karen Salt tomorrow afternoon and will try to have that available by Friday.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 AM

Thank you!!

I'll go away & chew now for a while.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

where can we post our questions about the racism seminar and forum guidelines?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 PM

You can pm me with them.

The first 'exercise' will be up and ready by Monday (yes, tomorrow). I wanted to give the moderators a chance to work thought their responses first.

I did an audio podcast with Karen Salt on Friday and once I edit out my goofy ending I'll have that available too. It's amazing! Karen just spoke from her heart, no script, no agenda.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can pm me with them.
Is there no where to discuss or ask questions on an open forum basis? Only in the secrecy of pm's? I'm not sure I like that, the point is for people to learn how to discuss in a responsable and kind manner issues surrounding race. If we aren't allowed to discuss during the process how does that work?

Quote:
The first 'exercise' will be up and ready by Monday (yes, tomorrow). I wanted to give the moderators a chance to work thought their responses first.

I did an audio podcast with Karen Salt on Friday and once I edit out my goofy ending I'll have that available too. It's amazing! Karen just spoke from her heart, no script, no agenda.
Sounds exciting I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Is there no where to discuss or ask questions on an open forum basis? Only in the secrecy of pm's? I'm not sure I like that, the point is for people to learn how to discuss in a responsable and kind manner issues surrounding race. If we aren't allowed to discuss during the process how does that work?
We are asking that the begining of the workshop be a time of reflection. This is not to keep things secrete, but to allow everyone to look inward before looking outward.

Because this workshop is new to us (and as Karen put it 'organic'), we'd like to see the direction it takes before opening up for discussion. Take a moment to read the workshop guidelines. Everyone will have the opportunity to post thier thoughts and views as soon as we open the exercise - we DO want your thoughts and your feelings.

Quote:
Sounds exciting I'm looking forward to it.
I was talking to my sister this weekend and I told her I felt like a kid about to go off to camp - super excited, dreaming of what will happen, a bit scared of the unknow and filled with hope that this will be a life changing experience. I'm hoping to make some new friends and deepen my relationship with existing ones.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:03 AM

Well I for one am really looking forward to this. I just love how multicultural this forum is and I personally haven't encountered any racism but then, I am one of those "what are you, anyway?" sort of people so I guess I'm used to it. I am sending a billion positive and productive thoughts to the moderators. I've had to moderate before, though in real life but you'd be surprised how crazy people get, and it just takes so much out of you. GOOD LUCK LADIES!

(Now if only I could have my black-haired-olive-skinned smiley by that time ;-)

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izobelle View Post
Well I for one am really looking forward to this. I just love how multicultural this forum is and I personally haven't encountered any racism but then, I am one of those "what are you, anyway?" sort of people so I guess I'm used to it. I am sending a billion positive and productive thoughts to the moderators. I've had to moderate before, though in real life but you'd be surprised how crazy people get, and it just takes so much out of you. GOOD LUCK LADIES!

(Now if only I could have my black-haired-olive-skinned smiley by that time ;-)
izobelle, as with any community, MDC does have some issues of racism. Of course a workshop will not put an end to it, but it's will help us come to a better understanding of what our issues are and how best to deal with situations when they come up. We'll also get to know our members better. I'm so excited to learn who everyone is and what makes them the unique person they are.

Of course with change comes some difficult hurdles. I hope that what we learn will from the workshop will help guide us as an online community and give many of us a base to look at our real life communities and take action to bring about change.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 PM

"as with any community, MDC does have some issues of racism"

I'm sure it does but I'm usually so oblivious to these sorts of things.

I would share an anecdote here about my obliviousness but I suspect that might violate the spirit of keeping the workshop "pure" so I'll save it for an oportune moment during the workshop. Waaaah, almost ready to begin, hoorah. I'll be up all night. :bounce

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 AM

First Exercise - A Conversation about Race

It dosn't seem real, but the workshop is open

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

User Tag List