Google Ads - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmom View Post
Can you imagine losing a CHILD & seeing ads for PET memorials??? What a slap in the face. Yeah, oranges, that'll make you forget. Sick...

don't forget "funeral ringtones." gotta have em.
#302 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
So do a lot of the non-mainstream companies that have been on MDC way before google...

It just seems to me that some people have somewhat unrealistic expectations of what MDC ads should be, and, indeed, what MDC should be. I mean, yeah, the gross stuff needs to go, but there is nothing wrong with strollers, nursing drapes, health insurance...
If you think the gross stuff can really go away if MDC keeps the google ads, then you are infinitely more optimistic than I am.
#303 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
OMG some of these ads are cracking me up. I'm thinking of the irony, of the rules here about what we can and can't talk about in the name of keeping the site 'family friendly,' and then there are these crazy ads to the side of the screen. And ads that are the exact antithesis of the values MDC supports.

I don't think we need to freak out yet tho. I think it will be pretty obvious to admins that this google thing isn't working out, at least not like this.
HUGE IRONY.

And the further irony is that your second statement is probably incorrect, unfortunately.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#304 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Okay, I guess I don't see what's wrong with a huge mainstream company on mothering? A huge mainstream unethical company, sure. A huge mainstream company selling anti-ap/nfl products (like cio books), sure. But just because a company is popular and successful?
Actually lots of people on this site have issues with Gerbers ethics...

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#305 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:48 PM

from the breastfeeding challenges forum:

$130/ 6 Similac Alimentum
Buy all Similac baby products for low prices. Free shipping & No Tax.
www.i-medica.com

Enfamil Lipil
Info on Enfamil Lipil. Know the facts.
www.eEnfamiLipil.info

Free Baby Formula
100% Free Baby Formula. Ships Free. Enfamil Or Similac. Get Yours Now!
BabyFormula.musthavefreegifts.com

i'm one of those types that normally snickers and chortles over the hypocrisy of, say, political conservatives that get caught with their hands in the congressional page's cookie jars.

but now the hypocrisy is in my cookie jar. uh, i mean formula can. :
#306 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:49 PM

One note, with Firefox, you can selectively block ads. I block all the sidebar ads, but I leave the banner ads at the top because so many are WAHM ads and I *am* interested in seeing them.
#307 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:49 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is a "see boys circumcised en masse" ad in the Case Against Circumcision board. Excuse me while I go throw up.

What a confusing message to send to all who visit the board. "Don't circ, unless you happen to visit an advertiser, then it's ok!"

PLEASE ask for subscriptions to MDC rather than putting up with this crap.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#308 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM

this is what is at CAC right now, I sent an email to Cynthia. I'm trying to be understanding, I am, but this is getting ridiculous.

Reuters Offbeat Videos
Boys Circumcised En Masse. Watch This Video & More at Reuters.
Reuters.com/TV
Adult Circumcision
10 top Adult Circumcision sites Search Adult Circumcision sites
10-BestSites.com
The Circumcision Center
Cosmetic circumcision and revision Adult outpatient procedures
www.circumcisioncenter.com
Circumcision Pro
Here are the top 10 sites on Circumcision Pro
circumcision.prsto.com

R~mama to 3

#309 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
One note, with Firefox, you can selectively block ads. I block all the sidebar ads, but I leave the banner ads at the top because so many are WAHM ads and I *am* interested in seeing them.
I do this too. Just go to your Adblock preferences and "New filter." Put in *googlesyndication* and it will block google ads on any page you go to.

It's still a shame that we *have* to do this at MDC, though. And really, if everyone on here is Adblocking or otherwise not seeing the ads, what's the point of having them?
#310 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:00 PM

"boys circumcised EN MASSE"??? what the heck??
#311 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin926 View Post
It's still a shame that we *have* to do this at MDC, though. And really, if everyone on here is Adblocking or otherwise not seeing the ads, what's the point of having them?
Exactly. And since the potential of a newbie/lurker getting the wrong idea is really high, I think it's more important for MDC to maintain NFL integrity than be stubborn and persevere with the ads.
#312 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseselene View Post
Has someone already mentioned this? If you go to dads -- you get an ad for mysugarbaby.com

OMG!
#313 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:05 PM

i was hoping Cynthia woudl have chimed in on this issue by now.
#314 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francy View Post
OMG!
What is this site? From the reaction I don't think I want to go there.

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#315 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
An internet quiz is probably not the way to go, but I don't really trust "experts" either--who knows a person better than the person himself/herself?

(yes I know this is off topic, but if we're talking about MDC's ideals and whether google ads fit with them, I think being informed and making our own decisions is more MDC value-based than the idea that we need experts to diagnose us).
Being informed and making your own decisions is a great thing, but self diagnosis often means misdiagnosis. With something as serious as Aspergers it's reckless to shun the experts. I have a friend whose son has a high functioning ASD (similar to Asperger's) which took 8 years to be diagnosed because of the intricacies of his symptoms - the overlaps can be confusing and an internet quiz doesn't acknowledge how many of the symptoms are prevalent in other special needs as well. Self diagnosing Asperger's when the real diagnosis should be a combination of ADHD with a spectrum disorder could be disastrous.
#316 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax View Post
i was hoping Cynthia woudl have chimed in on this issue by now.
Me too. She was online a short time ago.
#317 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMarmalade View Post
Being informed and making your own decisions is a great thing, but self diagnosis often means misdiagnosis. With something as serious as Aspergers it's reckless to shun the experts. I have a friend whose son has a high functioning ASD (similar to Asperger's) which took 8 years to be diagnosed because of the intricacies of his symptoms - the overlaps can be confusing and an internet quiz doesn't acknowledge how many of the symptoms are prevalent in other special needs as well. Self diagnosing Asperger's when the real diagnosis should be a combination of ADHD with a spectrum disorder could be disastrous.
Disastrous how? (granted I am one of those fringe extremist radicals who thinks we don't really need most of these diagnoses...)
#318 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
So do a lot of the non-mainstream companies that have been on MDC way before google...

It just seems to me that some people have somewhat unrealistic expectations of what MDC ads should be, and, indeed, what MDC should be. I mean, yeah, the gross stuff needs to go, but there is nothing wrong with strollers, nursing drapes, health insurance...
Just because you don't have a problem with these three things does not mean that they jives with MDC. Not everyone feels it's okay to promote contraptions designed to separate a other from their baby, we have a whole forum dedicated to baby-wearing, and many (used to be most) others here don't own a stroller and have no desire to own a stroller. As far as the nursing drapes, could go either way. For some it will make them comfortable nursing for e, and others it seems to promote the idea that nursing your baby is something to hide. Health insurance. Do all of these companies have pre-requisites like no V-Bac or their customers must vaccinate?
#319 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Me too. She was online a short time ago.
some people received email responses from her, I did not.
#320 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
Firefox users using adblocker plus, to see the banners but not the google ads instead of turning off all ads, right click the "Ads by Google" frame scroll down to "adblock image", click on "add filter" then enter http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/* and it will get rid of the google ads and keep the WAHM banners.

Not a fix for the bigger problem.

Thanks for the info. It is tempting. But, I don't think I want to block them. If I do not see them, I will no longer be aware of what Mothering is advocating. I don't want to be blind to it.
#321 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 PM

google adsense makes ads based on the content of the page, so a lot of baby like talk will generate baby links, bad ones... sadly.

I wonder if there is any way for mothering to opt out of the grab the ad from the page content and instead just give a list of approved ads. even if it is like for car repair or computer stuff or .... relatively neutral things?

They get paid per 1000 impressions of those ads.

You can read more about it at

www.google.com/adsense

from the adsense page
https://www.google.com/adsense/afc-online-overview

Safeguarding your business standards is our business too.

We're committed to maintaining our customers' business standards. That's why Google AdSense features these safeguards:

Competitive ad filters. You can block competitive ads, or other ads you want to keep off your site, simply by telling us which URLs to block.
Ad Review. Before ads appear on your site, they're reviewed using a combination of human and automated processes. The review process takes into account a variety of factors, including the quality of the ad and whether it's suitable for all audiences.
Sensitive content filters. At times, certain ads may be inappropriate for some pages. For example, Google automatically filters out ads that would be inappropriate on a news page about a catastrophic event.
Choose your own default ads. In the unlikely event that Google is unable to serve targeted ads on your page, we offer you the option of displaying a default ad of your choice. This ensures that your advertising space is always being used as effectively as possible.

so. someone at mothering better get to clicking their little fingers right quick. its not hard to fix this.
If that doesnt work, they should go with federated media. Same thing, paid per impression and from blogs I read, I dont see things being nearly as controversial.

FIX THIS for the love of pete!
#322 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Disastrous how? (granted I am one of those fringe extremist radicals who thinks we don't really need most of these diagnoses...)
Seriously. Do you not know the implications of treating a child for the wrong disorder?

I'm of the mind that even though labelling can sometimes cause problems, it's far better to have a label to 'work with' so that a child is treated appropriately than to muddle through and cause probable harm through inappropriate parenting/caregiving (even if it's well intentioned). My belief is that if a child has a need it should be met (and I believe it's MDC's stance as well).
#323 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Just because you don't have a problem with these three things does not mean that they jives with MDC. Not everyone feels it's okay to promote contraptions designed to separate a other from their baby, we have a whole forum dedicated to baby-wearing, and many (used to be most) others here don't own a stroller and have no desire to own a stroller. As far as the nursing drapes, could go either way. For some it will make them comfortable nursing for e, and others it seems to promote the idea that nursing your baby is something to hide. Health insurance. Do all of these companies have pre-requisites like no V-Bac or their customers must vaccinate?
I don't know about the health insurance, but I am quite sick of the anti-drape attitude at MDC. Nursing under a drape is still nursing. Baby still gets the milk. Some people don't like them, but they don't have to use them. And the same with strollers. Some kids like riding in strollers. They're not for everybody, but they don't have to be. Strollers are not inherently bad. If you don't want a stroller you don't have to get one. But there is nothing wrong with them.
#324 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:25 PM

Talk about selling one's soul to the devil...

I used to come here a lot in the olden days. Then the decline started, with Mothering's ideals being pushed by the wayside in order to keep from potentially offending newcomers or sponsors. Now I pop in every now and then to see what's up, hoping maybe the good old days would return.

It is clear those days will never be back. The final nail is in the coffin. This just sickens me.
#325 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously. Do you not know the implications of treating a child for the wrong disorder?

I'm of the mind that even though labelling can sometimes cause problems, it's far better to have a label to 'work with' so that a child is treated appropriately than to muddle through and cause probable harm through inappropriate parenting/caregiving (even if it's well intentioned). My belief is that if a child has a need it should be met (and I believe it's MDC's stance as well).
Since I don't believe that Aspergers is a "disorder" requiring treatment, we're obviously coming at this from very different perspectives. I agree that children's needs should be met.
#326 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Circumcision harms babies
It's sexually damaging, painful and has no proven health benefits.
www.nenocirc.org

LOOK!!! LOOK!!! I found one!!!

Actually this is the nebraska division of nocirc.org

That's good isn't it?

Hey everyone! Go to the circ forum and see if it pops up for you and click it lots and lots so that MDC can get their stinking money!!!!!!

You know, there's got to be some good ones in there.

I too believe that MDC has mistaken us for goons, thinking that we would click happily and randomly to help them pay for sites. I have no interest in google ads and usually ignore them on other sites. I wish that advertising was more affordable because then I'd definitely do it and then I would supposed others would as well.

Oh well. I really don't know what I'll do. I'm tired of people and businesses selling out. I guess I'm becoming becoming disenchanted with this place. I feel betrayed. It makes me anxious to visit here.

That's just wehre I"m at. I was visiting less often anyway for various reasons.

Jen

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)
#327 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know about the health insurance, but I am quite sick of the anti-drape attitude at MDC. Nursing under a drape is still nursing. Baby still gets the milk. Some people don't like them, but they don't have to use them. And the same with strollers. Some kids like riding in strollers. They're not for everybody, but they don't have to be. Strollers are not inherently bad. If you don't want a stroller you don't have to get one. But there is nothing wrong with them.
And that's fine if you feel that way. But as I was pointing out not all MDC mothers here agree with you. Just because you don't feel that it's a problem is no reason to ridicule those that do feel that it's a problem.
#328 of 328 Old 11-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I'm sorry I've not posted. I did do so in the TAO thread and thought that would be sufficient. But I'll clarify a few things brought up in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Scapegoat~ View Post
I want to know why this was tested yet it looks like it never had been.
Or does that mean that the people testing the ads didnt find all the inappropriate ads to be inappropriate?

6 weeks seems like plently of time for the testing to be all tested out.

Cynthia Mosher 10-01-2006

We did test it for several weeks. But we were only three people doing the testing so the traffic of the site was missing. We filtered out what we came across during those weeks and they really were minimal. But I finally realized that without the flow of traffic all over the boards, the pool of ads would be minimal and we'd not get anywhere with the process of filtering. So I decided to enable them.

Now that they are enabled and the traffic is pulling in ads we are able to see them and get them removed as they arise. It is an ongoing effort and we appreciate everyone's help. We'd also appreciate your patience and understanding while we try to make it work. We are just as bothered by some of these ads and don't want them on the site. Please don't assume that because you see them that we want them here or that Mothering has embraced something of what you see advertised. Report the website name or rightclick on the ad and copy and paste the link in an email to me - webmaster@mothering or cynthiam@mothering and I will check it out.

Some of the ads will be a bit in between - not offensive nor really AP. Just a bit general, like a cruise trip deal. Some touch on grey areas of being "non-AP" in some definitions but not really offensive - like a troubled teen camp. And some throw out words that really have nothing to do with their site at all and the site is generic - like an insurance company website. The wording is just to attract your attention. Those we will not block without a specific reason but we will investigate the website and decide if it is appropriate or not. So do report them if you wish to help us.

Try to not assume much from the wording of an ad. If you don't want to investigate the website advertising then that's fine. We'll do it and block whatever we find to be innappropriate. If your irritation is that you do not want to see the ads, they are bothering you just by having to see the wording, then I suggest using the nice idea of one MDC member (can't find the thread right now - sorry) to create a paper overhang to place on the left side of your screen. That's a simple and effective solution that does not require a specific browser, you don't have to download anything, and it doesn't interfere with your view of the WAHM ads that you may want to see.

The filtering of ads takes up to four hours, according to Google. I am working as fast as I can to place offensive ads in the filter as soon as I get an email from someone pointing me to something. The other administrators will also have access to the filter so that we can filter out ads out as quickly as possible.

We knew from the start that there would be some offensive ads, and that this would take some time and effort to catch them, filter them out, and that it would require ongoing monitoring and filtering for the long run to continue to remove whatever else might appear. We have enlisted the help of Google's tech team to get the ads optimized for our site focus. We hope that will help too.

We have said, as Peggy has told some of you in her email replies to your complaints, that we have decided to try the ads and will give it some time to work and will work diligently to filter out those that clearly should not be here. If we find that it is not something we can reasonably control then we will remove them. But it has been less than 24 hours. We are in no position to judge if we have reasonable control yet. We will give it some time and make a decision. How much time? I'm not sure. It's probably not something I can put a definite line for. If we remove the inappropriate ads today and tomorrow and through this week and next and find it getting better and better then we'll have some idea of what to expect and will give it more time before deciding. If we find it being a steady flow of inappropriate ads that is not lessening in number despite our filtering, and Google's ad team cannot help us resolve that then we'll likely ditch the ads.

I have removed almost all the ads mentioned in this thread. Some I could not even check because the info given was not sufficient. Some I did not remove because I found them to be other than what was presumed about them. But it would be best for you to report them by email to me. It is very difficult to sift through these threads and remove ads that you post about. And I will not check this thread as often as I check my email so removal of ads will occur quicker through an email report.

I think we have, in our past discussion of the decision to try Google ads, addressed just about everything brought up so I'd like to close this thread so that no further reports or complaints about the ads will be posted here. I will not be checking this thread regularly so sincere efforts to help will be through email to me. If you have any further questions, suggestions or ads to report please email them to either of the above email addresses. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page