Manifesting a Law of Attraction forum on MDC! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have. I have also read about the "Law of Attraction" elsewhere online. It appears to be a philosophy based on a movie and spinoff media. Sort of like "Conversations with God." It's definitely a philosophy though and it includes spiritual teachings, thus the placement of the threads in Spirituality. It is a philosophy that can be held by people of varying religious and political beliefs, but so are lots of things--you can be a Jewish republican or a Christian feminist, for instance. I don't see the fact that it is not, per se, a religion, as an argument for it being appropriate to give it its own subforum, however. It would still be privileging followers of "The Secret" etc over people who do not believe in it or who have other deeply held philosophical beliefs that do not have their own subforum.

I am also uncomfortable with the marketing aspect of LoA.
#62 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
It would still be privileging followers of "The Secret" etc over people who do not believe in it or who have other deeply held philosophical beliefs that do not have their own subforum.
I think this is a request due to the volume of threads on the subject, not about it being a 'special' topic. It could be helping people that do not believe this philosophy by removing the dozens of threads they have to sort through to get to the rest of the spirituality forum content.

Also LoA really isn't a spin-off of the movie... the movie just happens to be about LoA, and has sparked a lot of conversation on the subject.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#63 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 07:31 PM

There are a lot of threads on Judaism, CHristianity, Islam, and Paganism too, though. And a lot of long, serial threads on branches of Christianity in particular. Should there be an LDS subforum and a Catholic subforum too so those posters can have all their threads in one place?
#64 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
There are a lot of threads on Judaism, CHristianity, Islam, and Paganism too, though. And a lot of long, serial threads on branches of Christianity in particular. Should there be an LDS subforum and a Catholic subforum too so those posters can have all their threads in one place?
More sub-forums might work well. Perhaps posters on these various threads could make a similar request if they are feeling the need.
#65 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Honest question/concern:

Why should this philosophy get its own subforum? THere is no subforum for Jews, Christians, Muslims, Pagans, Democrats, Republicans, existentialists, communists, or any other specific philosophy. People with those beliefs must simply make use of FYT and Spirituality.

I would be uncomfortable seeing a subforum for a particular spiritual belief in general, but ESPECIALLY if only one belief got such a forum here.

LOA feels more like its own forum as in Spirituality, Breastfeeding, Vaccines, Circ, Diapering, etc.

it is so broad and touches on so much. just as breastfeeding touches on food for baby, politics of breastfeeding, herbs for mom to help generate more milk... it is a pretty broad in my opinion. And in the same manner it seems LOA would be as broad.

just my 2cents.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#66 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 PM

I just think that much like in public schools it would work best if either everyone had to share a forum or everyone got one of their own. Since the latter is extraordinarily impractical, I would say NOT having a Law of Attraction subforum would be more fair.
#67 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 08:08 PM

There's also the question of whether it's appropriate for MDC to have forums about/endorsing a specific product. "The Secret" is a product. Would it be appropriate to have a forum about, say, the Harry Potter franchise, or Whole Foods, or Ergo carriers? It seems like unnecessary commercialization.
#68 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
There's also the question of whether it's appropriate for MDC to have forums about/endorsing a specific product. "The Secret" is a product. Would it be appropriate to have a forum about, say, the Harry Potter franchise, or Whole Foods, or Ergo carriers? It seems like unnecessary commercialization.
None of us here have requested a "Secret" or specific product thread.

What has been requested is an idea for a Manifesting Forum or a Law of Attraction Forum. It is very different because people manifest things all the time without it being linked to a book or product. However, within that sub-forum, there would certainly be discussions about books/products/media/etc. But it would be much like in Parenting when people talk about Britax as the best car seat or in media when people talk about a specific movie or book. It is not endorsing a product, it is merely a discussion about it.

I do think that the topic could be equally appropriate as a Sub-Forum in Personal Growth. I find it is less a topic of spirituality and it certainly doesn't strike me as a religion, so it could easily be in another forum.

I agree with a previous post that said if other groups felt they needed more specific space because posts were getting lost and the ideas within one huge thread were too fractured, then ask for what you want.

I one of the ideas behind getting LOA or manifesting as a sub forum is to allow other threads more room too. If the entire forum becomes different LOA threads...it makes it harder for other groups to find their posts and things not get lost in the shuffle.
#69 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2beamom View Post
A thread I'd really like to see, and even considered starting a yahoo group for, is what Abraham-Hicks calls Scripting, and what I saw Joe Vitale call Nevillizing in that M2Seminar somebody linked to on the main thread. Basically we write what it is we want as though we already have it. I think a scripting thread would be really fun, interesting, insightful, and help others determine what it is they want (or don't want) in their lives.

Barb
That sounds a lot like Flowdreaming. I've been listening to Summer McStravick's show on hayhouse lately. Her flowdreaming (directed daydreaming where you visualize that which you are manifesting) really resonates with me!

I'd love a thead like that!
#70 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
these are some great threads -- can we just start some in the spirituality forum in the meantime?
And it would be great if people put links here and/or in the main Secret thread so we can keep track of them!
#71 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv View Post
Actually, I think the subforum name "Manifesting Mamas" would be perfect, Mschatsalot. I think it is downright brilliant, in fact. It has that sort of "Digging in the Earth" feel to it.
I really like "Manifesting Mamas" too! It says what it is and I really like alliteration!
#72 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Waldorf Schools has its own forum. I suppose people who are proponents of free education might find a forum for waldorf a form of marketing. I don't.

The Secret is a movie that discusses Law of Attraction. As does Abraham Hicks etc.. and my treasure map threads are about manifesting and in some ways even feng shui is about manifesting.. ...

the diaper forums have whole discussions about products that people like or don't like...with links to places that sell stuff... none of it bugs me. i don't have a beef with other threads and supposed marketing. but that is me.

love the idea of manifesting mamas..what a great idea.

#73 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Honest question/concern:

Why should this philosophy get its own subforum? THere is no subforum for Jews, Christians, Muslims, Pagans, Democrats, Republicans, existentialists, communists, or any other specific philosophy. People with those beliefs must simply make use of FYT and Spirituality.

I would be uncomfortable seeing a subforum for a particular spiritual belief in general, but ESPECIALLY if only one belief got such a forum here.
I think the reason the Secret should get it's own thread, is- people from all walks of life and all religions know the secret and apply it. It's not a religion, and I don't believe it's even a spiritual belief. I agree with the PP who mentioned it should be in Personal Growth, because I personally feel it has more to do with PG than Spirituality.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#74 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Then we could call it a "Law of Attraction" forum...the law of attraction is always working and always in effect. The creators of The Secret video just figured out a way to tell the public about it, but in reality, the secret doesn't even need to be mentioned, because all it really is, is the law of attraction.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#75 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I just think that much like in public schools it would work best if either everyone had to share a forum or everyone got one of their own. Since the latter is extraordinarily impractical, I would say NOT having a Law of Attraction subforum would be more fair.
Well- one, we are not asking to market the Secret. and Second- Law of Attraction is just that. A law of science. Just like the Law of Gravity. I personally think the subforum could go in Personal Growth or Spirituality. I feel Personal Growth would be better. As LoA is not a religion. It's a way to improve your life and grow within yourself.

But I do agree that the main reason it is being suggested is because all of the threads regarding LoA are eating up Spirituality. I find it difficult to really notice other threads when going to Spirituality. There are currecntly NINE threads with regards to LoA just on the first page. NINE links out of the Twenty that are on page one. That means almost HALF of Spirituality has threads wrt LoA.

I've seen on MDC that sub forums are usually created if there is a large need for it- meaning there is enough interest, topics, and people to justify a forum. If there were 9 threads wrt paganism, Catholicism, Mormonism, etc all on the main page at just about any given time- you all would also have a very strong case to propose a subforum. BUT just because you may NOT have that many does not stop you from requesting.

Requesting is just that- requesting. It does not mean it will happen. Anyone can suggest a subforum. If you want for it ask for it. Otherwise you will never know the answer.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#76 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 PM

spirituality isn't just for religions, it's for anything spiritual.
#77 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
If you don't like it, then just don't go there!
#78 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 PM

I thought having specific forums was about demonstrated need IE the spirituality forum has the first few pages crowded with LOA threads?

A LOA forum is for ease of use for the many of us that practice this and it will free up alot of space on the first few pages of spirituality.
#79 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Honest question/concern:

This is not a *spiritual belief*, although I think that one thread re: loa was posted under Spirituality because it *can* have spiritual elements if you want it to. If you don't want to view loa that way, then you can see if for what it is: science and the law of physics.

I think Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc. would wonder why loa was lumped together w/them.

Oh, and Democrats and Republicans . . .

Actually, there are many forums at MDC for those w/*other specific philosophies. How about Gentle Discipline for example? Or The Case Against Circumcision, or The Family Bed . . . ?

Educate yourself about LOA and then see if you're still uncomfortable.
#80 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 PM

I really like the idea of a sub-forum on Personal Growth. One advantage would be that it's available to new members, unlike Spirituality.
#81 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zannalyn View Post
I really like the idea of a sub-forum on Personal Growth. One advantage would be that it's available to new members, unlike Spirituality.
I agree, plus I just really like the idea of the sub-forum being under personal growth. I think the law of attraction is all about personal growth!

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#82 of 317 Old 01-01-2007, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Honest question/concern:
BSD thank you for ur comments. u have really made all of us sit up and really question do we really need a seperate sub forum on this subject.

ur thoughts are if something like that doesnt exist then dont ask for one. why shoudl it exist by itself when others dont. or if one should exist then ALL should exist.

well shouldnt we as members of this board not ask for something we ourselves need that is not going to fizzle out over a period of time. there is genuine interest and honestly no one has a general philosophical forum to ask questions.

but to base it on oh if one doesnt exist then none should exist doesnt seem logical to me to not have one.

and you know if the others want one i dont see if there are a bunch asking for it they shouldnt have one.

*shrug* just my .02 cents

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#83 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Banned

The law of attraction is always working whether you believe in it or not.

It is like saying you don't believe in gravity because you yourself have never fallen off a roof so you don't know whether you would truly fall or not.

I am not bothered if the sub forum is in spirituality or personal growth but I do feel we need one --- this *philosophy*, *law*, *theory* -- whatever one feels comfortable labeling it --- is a prevailent theme throughout nearly all religions, philosophies, self-help materials, and sciences.

I see this subforum as not only a place for people who are already students of this way of thinking to gather and commune, but as a place for peoples of different religions/beliefs to come together to find their common ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
I just think that much like in public schools it would work best if either everyone had to share a forum or everyone got one of their own. Since the latter is extraordinarily impractical, I would say NOT having a Law of Attraction subforum would be more fair
Thank you for your opinion I would say though, that this community is one who, at large thinks that systems like ones implimented in public schools do more harm than good.

I wonder why a LOA forum would seem "unfair" to anyone? If folks are desiring subforums of their own, they are free to manifest them too

Peace~
#84 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
If folks are desiring subforums of their own, they are free to manifest them too
Yep. That'll work!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#85 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 AM

It's a belief. I do not believe in the Law of Attraction. I would be seriously offended if MDC made it its business to promote such a belief by granting it its own special forum.

Promoting *parenting* methods and philosophies such as anti-circ, babywearing, nursing, natural childbirth...that's what MDC is for. Not to promote a belief in a "law," a god, a system of magic, etc.
#86 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
That sounds a lot like Flowdreaming. I've been listening to Summer McStravick's show on hayhouse lately. Her flowdreaming (directed daydreaming where you visualize that which you are manifesting) really resonates with me!

I'd love a thead like that!
I love Flowdreaming too!! I listen to Summer every week, more than once 'cuz I like to listen to her archived shows, too.

So, very like Flowdreaming, except you're actually writing it down. I think it would be a lot of fun! And if you've never done it, it leaves you with a buzz afterwards - yay!!

I look forward to it, but will wait a bit to see what's happening with a sub/forum.

Barb
#87 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
But I do agree that the main reason it is being suggested is because all of the threads regarding LoA are eating up Spirituality. I find it difficult to really notice other threads when going to Spirituality. There are currecntly NINE threads with regards to LoA just on the first page. NINE links out of the Twenty that are on page one. That means almost HALF of Spirituality has threads wrt LoA.
And just think of all the threads we haven't started, just 'cuz we don't want to take over the forum. People obviously have a need to talk about this, and those threads will get started, whether in a new forum/subforum or not.

Barb
#88 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zannalyn View Post
I didn't know that. My first thought was to vote for it to be in PG, but now I'm wondering why Spirituality isn't available to new members. Maybe that reason would apply to a manifesting/loa forum.:

Barb
#89 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2beamom View Post
And just think of all the threads we haven't started, just 'cuz we don't want to take over the forum. People obviously have a need to talk about this, and those threads will get started, whether in a new forum/subforum or not.

Barb
after watching my son attract some amazing things and I'm not just talking about toys or stuff.. but amazing things/situations/ loving people etc..I have been thinking about a thread about what our children attract..but frankly I hesitated since I don't want the floor to drop with the weight of all the LOA threads in spirituality.

in fact,
the little toddler found on the road...you will see that topic in News and in TAO..there is something about the power of his attraction that has really struck me. I believe he is truly attracting help for his family. One powerful little boy..but that is just my belief.

#90 of 317 Old 01-02-2007, 02:47 AM

I do not have a preference for having it in either spirituality or in personal growth. PG may be a better forum because of the 50 post minimum; I'd forgotten about that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page