Alternative Autism Smilie (xposted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MDC's "official" autism awareness smilie is currently a representation of what is known as the "puzzle ribbon," this:

It's not an unnatractive symbol, and most people who use it are simply trying to express a need for increased autism awareness, or to indicate that they have a child on the spectrum. I've used it myself, in my sig, with the MS ribbon, although it made me uncomfortable after a short while and I took it down.

The problem with using the puzzle ribbon as the generic autism symbol is that many (most) people with autism find its implications offensive and disturbing--the idea that autism is a puzzle to be "solved" or that autistics, as people, are "missing a peice" somehow.

MDC is a home to many people with many varying opinions about autism. For some, it's a tragic diagnosis. For others, it's simply what they live with. For still others, it's an expression of a loved one's uniqueness. By choosing to represent autism only with the "missing piece" puzzle ribbon, MDC is implicitly taking a stand that most autistic people, and many parents of autistic children, would consider derogatory. Please, understand that this is a highly-charged issue, and for some people the puzzle ribbon is tantamount to having an ear trumpet as the symbol for deafness or a dunce cap as the symbol for cognitive delays.

I'm absolutely sure that nothing like this was intended by anyone at MDC. However, it might be more appropriate to add a more neutral autism-awareness smilie. One example might be the "spectrum" graphic, (a rainbow mobius, usually with the words "autism awareness" printed beside it). Someone else might have a better idea.

Thanks in advance to the mods, who have a number of "sensitivity" issues to deal with on this board and generally handle things with grace and tact.
#2 of 29 Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM

We rely on our members to create smilies for us If you or another member would like to create one, I'd be happy to consider it
#3 of 29 Old 01-26-2007, 04:08 PM

I'd sure be interested...I guess I'd use one where the smilie is floating in space/it's own world (at least that's where my DS is most of the time!)...
#4 of 29 Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 PM

I like this one.

I did have the puzzle ribbon in my sig, but I don't like it. It's the symbol of the "cure autism" movement, which does not reflect my views or the views of many autistic people.

Thank you for bringing this up.
#5 of 29 Old 01-28-2007, 07:43 PM

okay, that's not working...
#6 of 29 Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 AM

No rainbows please!!! They are too NT!!!
#7 of 29 Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 PM

I made a smilie
here is the small version

here is a bit larger version

It says "ASD" because it is an umbrella term that includes classic autism, PDD-NOS, and similar diagnosis. The symbol is from the Autie pride movement, slightly modified to make it more obvious it is an infinity symbol and not a sideways 8 when it is so small.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#8 of 29 Old 02-01-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
No rainbows please!!! They are too NT!!!
Why shouldn't it be rainbow? I don't get what NT means. If the Autie pride movement used it- it's more [to me anyways] obvious what the sign is. Otherwise to me it's just another infinity sign. But having the rainbow and the ASD makes a huge difference to me.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#9 of 29 Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 PM

No, please, nothing with "ASD" on it. That would be counterproductive to the point of an icon that's more inclusive of different views on autism.

I do like the rainbow though.
#10 of 29 Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I sort of realized that the "D" part might be an issue after I had completed it. What about "Autistic Spectrum" on it? Or did you just want the infinity symbol? Maybe the mouse over/title tag/alt tag can say "autistic spectrum" without it being part of the actual graphic. Let me mess around with it some more.

I do plan on sticking with the rainbow aspect because I just think it makes the most sense. I don't understand the "NT" objection, but I am still willing to consider changing if there is something I am not understanding.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#11 of 29 Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 PM

I think the infinity sign by itself would be better in the interest of keeping it small but readable. The rainbow infinity sign is fairly widely recognized as an autistic pride symbol.
#12 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 12:52 AM

Just an outside opinion here, but I would preffer things to say what they are. There are so many ribbons and I have no idea what any of them mean when people use them. I would have no idea what the symbol meant without it saying something about autism. Just my 2 cents.
#13 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen infinity symbols that say Autistic Pride, but that might be a little much for a smilie.
#14 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 01:15 AM

here is where I am posting some more smilies as I make them: http://www.xanga.com/Jennifer_Z/5675...-take-two.html

#15 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 01:18 AM

I really like the rainbow infinity sign without the asd. i would love to see that smilie added and would use it in my siggie for sure!

kathy::
#16 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 01:19 AM

neurodiversity is cool too!

kathy::
#17 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 AM

Jen, how about

neuro
diversity

over the infinity symbol?

These look great!
#18 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 02:37 AM

I believe that the infinity sign is a symbol of the anti-cure movement, and also could be offensive to some posters. I mean, if we're worrying about people getting offended here...

babyf.gif

#19 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
I believe that the infinity sign is a symbol of the anti-cure movement, and also could be offensive to some posters. I mean, if we're worrying about people getting offended here...
I don't think it is going to replace the ribbon, because there are a lot of people who absolutely support the pro-cure community. I think it is in addition to support the other side of the issue since there doesn't seem to be anything that is totally in the middle and "just" awareness, with no other implications.

#20 of 29 Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Z View Post
there doesn't seem to be anything that is totally in the middle and "just" awareness, with no other implications.
Which is unfortunate -- that is really what would be ideal.

babyf.gif

#21 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 AM

I also agree that we should have another choice. I certainly don't look at my brother as someone who needs a cure, and would like a symbol more neutral perhaps.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#22 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 02:10 AM

Would #12 be more neutral? appropriate? http://www.xanga.com/Jennifer_Z/5675...-take-two.html

eta: or #13

#23 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 AM

12 is a good compromise between the pro-cure and anti-cure sides, IMO.

It incorporates the rainbow without either symbolism.

babyf.gif

#24 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 PM

I love the puzzle ribbon can you make one for me a puzzle ribbon that says # 12 writing Autistic Spectrum PDD and Neuro Diversity on the puzzle ribbon in the writing of # 12. Our son was dignosed in May 2006. I am so glad to find this forum.

Thanks!
#25 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 PM

If we agree that the ribbon is biased, then the infinity symbol is biased the other way, and people can choose which emblem to use.

The one that just says "Autistic Spectrum" is okay, certainly neutral, but, well, I want a picture. Like the other advocacy pictures/ribbons we have here, like

:

:
:
:

It's just more easily recognized that way.
#26 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 08:42 PM

I think the one without the writing is good. If people want to know what it means, they can ask. I don't know the meaning of all the ribbon colors.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#27 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim View Post
I think the one without the writing is good. If people want to know what it means, they can ask. I don't know the meaning of all the ribbon colors.

that is the one I prefer too. It can also be a lot smaller if it doesn't have writing, and the title tag/mouse over text can read "autism_neurodiversity" or something along those lines, like some of the symbols here have the meaning of the symbol in the title tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv my child View Post
I love the puzzle ribbon can you make one for me a puzzle ribbon that says # 12 writing Autistic Spectrum PDD and Neuro Diversity on the puzzle ribbon in the writing of # 12. Our son was dignosed in May 2006. I am so glad to find this forum.

Thanks!
Do you mean the traditional puzzle ribbon? The reason I ask is because writing "Autism Spectrum PDD" would make sense with that, but the puzzle ribbon is the opposite of "Neurodiversity". The infinity symbol with the puzzle peices I drew was a joke, of sorts, and not everybody would particularly appreciate the humor of it if it was taken out of context because it is using symbolism from two opposite camps combined together. A political cartoon of sorts.

Personally, I love the graphics of the puzzle ribbon because my ds loves puzzles. I am obviously not too upset by it because I still use it in my signature, but I don't particularly like the connotation of it. So, I am sort of in the middle of the road myself.

#28 of 29 Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 PM

I meant the traditional one.
#29 of 29 Old 02-06-2007, 12:40 PM

I'll chime in, too.

I like something that says "Autism Spectrum". I'm not too picky about the actual graphic, as long as it has that wording.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page