This is an official complaint - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mara
I think this is sad and I don't understand why you would feel this way. I don't care if a mama is diapering a child or not, I like hearing everyones experiences/opinions about every topic. I am baffled by your response. As I am sad because I would love to hear what you have to say, why would I care if you have a kid in diapers or not????
I've been gone all day.... but in catching up, I saw this response to my first post on the thread. The reason I feel that I can't contribute, is because I *realize* an off topic post in Diapering is off topic for only one reason -- it is directed a select few and not the community at large. If it were honestly open to the community at large, it would be in the appropriate forum.
#122 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pamelamama
I like the stuffing! That's a funny -- and yet accurate -- word to use! I don't read all the posts, but I don't just come here for info. I can get that from informative, non-interactive sites (several have been mentioned and exist in the diapering resources sections). Someone like you could get a lot out of the resources stickies at the top of the page, and avoid the herd in the hallway. People want different things! I want fluff in my diapering boards!
YES!!! That's exactly how I feel as well! What is wrong w/ some fluff on the diapering board? Does it say somewhere that this is only a question and answer forum? Should we all find a new "home" b/c a few ppl don't like the fluff here?

This whole discussion is disheartening... I love it here and it makes me sad that ppl are picking on this forum, when it is such a warm and friendly community.
#123 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 06:55 PM

I don't think I"m picking on this forum. And I really feel "disheartened" by the "take it or leave it" tone, which doesn't sound all that "warm and friendly" to me. I'm not telling anybody to "find a new home," I was only trying to express what I think is a problem that some people may have.

I didn't say I didn't like the fluff threads or that they're wrong. I just said that they can be frustrating for people looking for other things in this forum.

Anyhoo, thanks for telling ME to find my info elsewhere. That's as inviting as I've seen it happening here :

#124 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 07:13 PM

Simonee, I wasn't singling you out specifically... though I do see how you could read it that way. I'm sorry.

I did read the thread in the "questions and suggestions" forum a long time ago and it specifically mentioned diapering as being
*the* offending forum (and there was another thread there too specifically mentioning diapering as well). For me, being a person who pretty much only posts here on diapering, I felt picked on! We are all just talking about diapers here... yes there is a lot of "fluff" but so what? This thread makes me feel like it is not ok to talk fluff, that it's only acceptable to have a q & a about diapers.

I don't think anyone was telling you to go elsewhere... you said yourself that you often get your info from other places. Now the mods have added subforums here to aid ppl who don't want fluff, just answers.

This thread is taking on a "take it or leave it" attitude b/c we (the mamas who post regularly here on diapering) feel like we are being singled out and slapped on the hand for something we don't see as wrong.
#125 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Anyhoo, thanks for telling ME to find my info elsewhere. That's as inviting as I've seen it happening here
Who told you to go elsewhere? I just don't see that..
I am sad that this post came about. I dont think that 5 OT posts in 5 or 6 pages is enough to complain about. No where does it say that this board is just for basic info and not sharing our new fluff or store stockings. In fact it doesn't disclude(word?) sposie users the way that I read the forum discription.
Why are we going on 120 posts later in a thread started by 1 person complaining? If the OP doesn't want to read 6 pages of threads then they don't have to. I don't read every thread. This is just getting rediculous.
I also thought it was against board rules to criticize the way the mods run their boards.
#126 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonee
I don't think I"m picking on this forum. And I really feel "disheartened" by the "take it or leave it" tone, which doesn't sound all that "warm and friendly" to me. I'm not telling anybody to "find a new home," I was only trying to express what I think is a problem that some people may have.

I didn't say I didn't like the fluff threads or that they're wrong. I just said that they can be frustrating for people looking for other things in this forum.

Anyhoo, thanks for telling ME to find my info elsewhere. That's as inviting as I've seen it happening here :

Oh no!! I hope you didnt' think I was saying to find your info elsewhere!! No no no!! What I mean is there are places for everyone to get information, whether they want chitchat along with it or not. I did not think that you were judging the fluff, just identifying it as something you prefer to avoid.

Geez, that scared me to think I might have upset you like that or that I had come across in such a negative way.

*yikes*
#127 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 07:30 PM

Sorry I jumped a bit there Guess I'm taking my impatience with life and pregnancy out on this thread here. Please accept my apologies... Nobody told me to go elsewhere, I misread and misconstructed pamelamama's acknowledgment that there ARE info sites out there. Actually, I keep going back and back to LaLa's article in Mothering mag for info

that said, I don't think anybody has said that there should be no fluff here, or just q&a. Only that it MIGHT be a good idea if SOME of the fluff were channeled a little, so that NON-regulars could use this forum for other purposes than on-topic, diaper-related but perhaps more personally oriented chat.

If the informative stuff can be presented in stickies, why can't the most recurring fluff, such as "I bought," "I received," "I saw," or "I used" topics, also be put up in stickies? If nothing else, the fact that there are that many posts in this thread shows that something is stirring here, and it may be worthwhile to try and work on it. Similar things have happened in other forums, notably Activism, and getting all sides of the (perceived) problem out in the open has only helped there. By conducting the discussion in terms of attack and defense, nobody gets any closer. (and again I apologize for contributing to that)

PS oh. Duh. Only now I find the new "diaper resource" forum. Been gone too long, I guess... Thanx. That kinda solves the relevancy problems I had with this forum. Though I still wouldn't mind ALL the pic threads together, so I can check 'em out whenever I want
#128 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonee
btw if any of you want a nice small community, start posting on Dental! There's only 3 or 4 regulars there!
There's that cute toothbrush smiley in use! Love that one.

Well, I do love the fluffy stuffing in diapering I admit. Some people like the technical, some people like the chatty-- I like the creative fluffy stuff. I think there is room for everyone here. We all have to wash our poopy diapers in the end (unless you have a diaper service).

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#129 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 07:41 PM

Loving that we are all sharing so nicely in this thread!

I read the Diapering Resources, The Daily Diaper, Diaper Reviews, and the Diapering Archives when I need some nuts and bolts info. on diapering. And I come to the main forum to discuss day to day diapering, and how it affects my mommying.

But if having "fluff" in the main forum is the issue, and it would be easier to split it up into a Q&A section and a day-to-day diapering discussion. I've got it! Let's add another subforum! :LOL (heeheee poor Cynthia!)

Diaper Fluff 'n' Stuff
Waiting for fluffy mail? Stalking your favorite store? Cackling like a hyena 'cause you have a cute dipe to show off? Doing diaper laundry? Tell us how diapering fills your days.

heeeheee

Edited to add: 'Twas kidding. I was just trying to add a little silliness to this thread that's felt like a downer. It didn't work. Sorry.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#130 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mommykins
[BI've got it! Let's add another subforum! :LOL (heeheee poor Cynthia!)

Diaper Fluff 'n' Stuff
Waiting for fluffy mail? Stalking your favorite store? Cackling like a hyena 'cause you have a cute dipe to show off? Doing diaper laundry? Tell us how diapering fills your days.
[/B]
Now that is a great idea! I like it!

What do you think, Heather? Cynthia?

BTW, just so no one thinks I am a diapering elitest, I am branching out...I have now posted in several different fora and so far no one has tried to bite me Really, it was quite refreshing to go talk about my garden and answer a post in TAO! Honestly, I guess it's just intimidating to start posting on other fora where no one knows me. It's hard to step out of a comfort zone, ya know?
#131 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:06 PM

Quote:
But what's left for the main forum? Newbie questions? :
#132 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnightowl
But what's left for the main forum? Newbie questions? :
The main forum would be newbie questions, washing woes/problems, general diaper questions, fit questions, etc. The stuff everyone could benefit from reading. I take it after reading this thread that a lot of people, even diapering regulars, don't always care for the stalking/fluff/hyena threads.
#133 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:20 PM

It is healthy to have this discussion. I read Mamaducks original post in TAO on the referred thread, and I think I understand the point was that we are not letting everyone be a part of the sharing because things like pregnancies, jobs and other OTs are being shared in a place where not everyone is looking. Not sure if I'm right on that...

#134 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:22 PM

Not to stop the flow of ideas there, Wendy...

#135 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this isn't very insightful, but I really like this board the way it is, occasional OTs and all. I feel like I know you all who participate here, and welcome newbies. I don't post often in other forums mostly because I don't know as many people, or don't have much to say there.

This thread is bumming me out. Can't we just not read the threads that annoy us?
#136 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:27 PM

I agree Rebecca, I love this board just the way it is. I love the occasional OTs. I remember a little while ago that a mama needed support for something ot and she gots tons of support here because we all know her. I love all the fluff threads, if something doesn't interest me I dont read it. I have been trying to branch out more, but am a shy person, even online. I guess it's easiest to stay in my comfort zone.
#137 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:31 PM

I'm trying to understand everyone's view here and not be judgemental, but personally I love the diapering board exactly as it is and wouldn't change a thing. I am trying to respect where those who feel differently are coming from as well.

#138 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DandelionCrown
but I really like this board the way it is, occasional OTs and all. I feel like I know you all who participate here, and welcome newbies. I don't post often in other forums mostly because I don't know as many people, or don't have much to say there.

This thread is bumming me out. Can't we just not read the threads that annoy us?
ITA Rebecca! I would rather things stay exactly as they are, I have issues with change : But it seems as if the diapering board, as is, has been a thorn in the side of many.

I understand where the OP is coming from (I believe, at least I'm trying to) and I'm trying to branch out.

I'm also trying to come up with alternate ideas so we can keep our community of mamas here. I know some of the diapering mamas I consider good friends don't have time or the inclination to post outside of diapering...we are a hopping board, it does take a lot of time just to keep up here.

Oh, I was going somewhere else with that idea, but my babe needs me...
#139 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:42 PM

Jess, that is a cute description , but it seems to me that falls easily under the Diapering Discussion Description. However, I might not be getting the full gest of your request.

Regarding discussing it here on this post - it is actually OT from the OP. It would need its own thread for discussion altogether. Normally, with requests of this nature, the moderators and Cynthia would view the discussion/response from the community from which it is being requested to evaluate level of interest.
#140 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the reminders everyone. I browse the other forums sometimes and they are always really interesting. I sometimes post there but I don't always get to them. I post a lot in diapering and TTC. But where I really want to post is the "I'm Pregnant" forum, so watch out over there folks, once I am! I don't think I post OT much, if at all, but I'll try to be more aware of it. This actually makes sense to me, to post in a more relevant forum, though I can see why that stuff gets posted here too. It has never bothered me, but that's because I visit diapering all the time.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#141 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 08:57 PM

It's OK ~ I was just attempting (poorly) to be silly! ild

I like this forum the way it is. Heather, I think you and Lala are doing a GREAT JOB!! I like the fluff 'n' stuff being easily reached right here with all our other diaper discussions. If there are ways to make it more appealing to more people, I'm open to that, too.

Like Wendy, I think I'll try and do my part by carving some time into my 'internet time' to branch out here on MDC a bit.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#142 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:13 PM

Mommykins I thought it was pretty funny! :LOL Even though I think things are fine here just as they are. I see lots of welcomes to newbies and I apologize if I don't join in a welcome, it's not on purpose - I have a bad habit of not going to the second page for thread subjects forgetting this is a busy board wtih three pages devoted to one day's worth of fluff n' stuff, q&a, etc.:

Does this make me OT from the OP> : I'll come back after I nurse the baby with a more "On" reply.

edited because I needed to clarify.
#143 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:22 PM

Okay...I guess overall I want to know what is the desired outcome? Really, I think things are fine the way they are, I don't see too many posts that are so OT that they don't relate in some way to diapering.

That we stop posting OT on diapering and post to other boards within MDC, correct?

And what about the SOS threads, the Fuz ponderings, Line drying stories, etc.? Are those considered OT? Are we supposed to post them in TAO and hope diapering people read it? I guess that's what I'm really questioning.

And why is it any harder to wade though the posts in "new posts" than it is in each fora? It will be in new posts regardless, right :

#144 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:22 PM

a whole "fluff n stuff" sub-forum would defeat the purpose - yes you'd be able to look in the diapering forum and see less posts but if you did "view new threads" you would still see the same amount of posts.
I like simonee's idea of making one sticky for chit chat. let it get as long as the mods want it and then unstick it and start a new one. either stop by post count or stop by a certain time period. in there you can post all the fluffy mail you are waiting on, all the neat stuff you are stalking, etc.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#145 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flminivanmama
a whole "fluff n stuff" sub-forum would defeat the purpose - yes you'd be able to look in the diapering forum and see less posts but if you did "view new threads" you would still see the same amount of posts.
Yeah, you are right. I just got carried away : It sounded good at the time.

I don't think I understand the sticky idea? Like all the posts would be under one heading? So SOS would be followed by a Fuz post followed by a response to the SOS post? Or would there be a sticky for SOS day, a sticky when one wanted to talk Fuz, etc.?
#146 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:40 PM

I don't know - I guess we'd have to work it out... I think the best way to see is just to try it. call it fluff'n'stuff or hyena chat or whatever and sticky it and just see how it goes. put all our mail call posts etc in there, I guess.

#147 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:44 PM

That sounds awful convoluted and confusing to be stuck in all one thread :

nak
#148 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:46 PM

okay, well then I'm fresh out of ideas

#149 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:49 PM

i have an idea on decreasing clutter.
what if all the posts on stalking, stocking, missing stockings, what did you buy today, fluffy mail call, current auctions etc. were left up for a set period of time? like 48 hours? because they have a pretty short shelf life, and no real value for archiving purposes.
is that stupid or pointless?
#150 of 227 Old 07-05-2003, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flminivanmama
okay, well then I'm fresh out of ideas
Me too :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page