This is an official complaint - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2003, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I log on to MDC, I use View New Posts. I'm getting rather tired of having to wade through so many threads from Diapering that have NOTHING to do with diapers. That's what TAO and Welcome, and all the other threads are for. I logged on the other day, after being away for 4 days, and there was something like 60 pages of new posts, and most of them were for here, and unrelated to here at that.

And yes, I am deadly serious, it's annoying, and I'm sure I'm not the only person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 PM

And when IrishMommy get serious, she writes letters. This is a woman of action, people!

Hi

actually I find this annoying too, and I can't imagine how the mods feel!
Old 07-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Banned

You're not alone, Irishmommy! Two of us (at least) have complained recently (for those who missed these threads):

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=64393

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=67942

And putting 'O/T' in the Subject doesn't make it any more justified putting that post in the wrong forum.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:55 PM

Irishmommy - thanks for verbalizing your complaint - it puts it 'out there.' Funny thing is that I set about moving a few threads this evening before reading yours.

I know there is a WELCOME thread here, but these mommas have also been asked to introduce themselves in PTMY. I think they just want the Diapering Mommas to know who they are. One thread is better than several - and with the amount of posts on that one thread . . . I'm definitely satisfied that it was done in that way.

A few other threads have been moved, but going back 3 or 4 pages, I think I covered the most recent.

I'll certainly keep my eye out though - and try to keep us all OT (including the moderator )

Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:04 PM

Well, for me at least, Diapering is the main place where I post. I do post on a couple different forums, but this is the forum where I feel the most welcome and where I know the most mamas. The diapering forum is it's own little "community" iykwim.

Of course this doesn't do anything to help w/ the way you're feeling... I just wanted to lyk my take on it (from a mama who pretty much only posts here). The OT posts here don't bother me at all.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:16 PM

ummm... what does THIS post have to do bwith diapering??????????????

just a thought???

Lo
Old 07-04-2003, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pb_and_j
Well, for me at least, Diapering is the main place where I post. I do post on a couple different forums, but this is the forum where I feel the most welcome and where I know the most mamas. The diapering forum is it's own little "community" iykwim.
Julie, although I completely understand this - I also know that MDC as a community has sooooo much to offer. When I first started coming here I only posted in Diapering as well, but as I had concerns in other areas, I branched out. What a delight! I found many other likeminded mommas in other forums that not only answered my questions, but taught me beyond what I was inquiring and 'expanded' me, so to speak. I also discovered that many of the cd mommas I came to know HERE are 'out there.' :LOL

This being a discussion board encompassing all subjects, the moderators are to move threads to their appropriate boards - and do so more frequently than you might realize.
Quote:
Originally posted by lolov
ummm... what does THIS post have to do bwith diapering??????????????
Irishmommy wanted to address the Diapering Crowd specifically as she was trying to catch up in 'Diapering' - which is why it is specific - and very much appropriate - to this board at this time.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherSanders
Julie, although I completely understand this - I also know that MDC as a community has sooooo much to offer. When I first started coming here I only posted in Diapering as well, but as I had concerns in other areas, I branched out. What a delight! I found many other likeminded mommas in other forums that not only answered my questions, but taught me beyond what I was inquiring and 'expanded' me, so to speak. I also discovered that many of the cd mommas I came to know HERE are 'out there.' :LOL
Heather~ Yes, I know you understand this, but I was expressing my pov to the op. This issue doesn't seem to bother the "regular diapering" posters, only the ones who dabble in many different forums. I think a lot of the mamas here in diapering feel very close to one another, and feel more comfortable posting to this forum than to others where they don't know as many ppl.

I do understand that if you don't post here (on diapering) and read the boards using the "View New Posts" option, that this can be annoying. I'm not sure what can be done except have the mods continually move threads when they are ot.

Yes, we could all benefit from "branching out" to other forums though.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishmommy
When I log on to MDC, I use View New Posts. I'm getting rather tired of having to wade through so many threads from Diapering that have NOTHING to do with diapers. That's what TAO and Welcome, and all the other threads are for. I logged on the other day, after being away for 4 days, and there was something like 60 pages of new posts, and most of them were for here, and unrelated to here at that.

And yes, I am deadly serious, it's annoying, and I'm sure I'm not the only person.
if you are using "view new posts" what difference does it make what forum they are in? there would still be 60 pages of new posts... they'd just be in the "correct" forums. just wondering.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 07-05-2003, 12:40 AM

I understand your frustrations. Just another POV is that this is such a freakin' enormous board that I don't have time to go and 'get to know' the people who hang out in one section or another and I feel wierd just to jump in with a topic and then virtually disappear b/c I don't have time to keep up.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:40 AM

I think Irishmommy is feeling that if she wants views or topics about diapering, then come to this forum, or branch out. Otherwise it seems a little elitist.
Imagine how it would feel to you coming in here as a new member and wondering what all the "inside" jokes were in the diapering forum, seeing that there were OTs going on here. I would feel a little slighted, and I would wonder what the other forums were for, if all this other stuff was going on in here. Personally I would tend to stay away from a forum that was constantly being bombarded by OT discussions, simply b/c the posters who frequent that forum wanted to keep it "amongst themselves", ya know?

Just my NSHO.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:42 AM

For threads not having to do with diapers- do you mean ones that don't mention diapers at all or are not strictly about technical details of diapers?

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 07-05-2003, 12:43 AM

I used to use the "view new posts" and it didn't really make any difference to me what forum a particular subject was in. The only time it matters to me is if I am looking for specific information about someting, like diapering, vaccination, pregnancy, honmeschooling, vax etc.. In that case I will do a "search" within that particular forum.

I am not really interested in going through how many posts per day in 40 some forums, utilized by, what roughly 1000s of user per day to find out soandso is PG or this mama I know needs a because her baby is sick. If I am PG half the mamas in diapering will never see the announcement.

Seems the community is becoming a little large. I do not know what to do about that. Its nice that I feel I have some close mamas I feel a strong conection to. Not that I don't feel I can not associate with many mamas, but it gets to be overwhelming. No one can know all ~200 members logged in a any one time.

Perhaps its time diapering mamas strike out on their own and get their own communinity if we are such an annoyance to the rest of the MDC community. I do not like this idea. What other solutions are there?

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 07-05-2003, 12:45 AM

I just looked through about 5 or 6 pages of posts and I only found about 5 OT posts 2 of which had been moved - 1 of those was started by a moderator ("what's your access") - and 2 of which were introductions - only one of the 5 was still on this board (the one about SandraDee's DH's job offer) and it was about 5 or 6 pages back.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 07-05-2003, 12:46 AM

I personally don't have time to post in a variety of forums so I post in the one that matters most to me right now - diaping cause I have so little support IRL. I have noticed a few OT posts but really not that many. I am a message board owner on another site that gets bombarded by things such at this and to me this board's OT topics are minimal. I did post the intro thread but I actually I thought it made sense in this forum. Plus since I know I don't get around to every forum I thought it would make sense that not everyone else would get to the intro forum as well. Honestly I think that would be a lot to expect in a community this large. It makes sense that "sub groups" would get close in specific forums. Thus some personal comments would be made, etc. Isn't that what building a community is about?

I think it actually helps to say hi in a forum you frequent and get to know each other and was actually glad there was such a positive response. Cause sometimes it can be really hard to feel like you fit in on a busy board when you're new.

Anyway - I know I am new but that's my .02. I only received 4 responses to my hi post in the "main place" so if this forum hadn't been so friendly and open I doubt I would have stayed.

**I edited my message to clarify my wrongly worded thoughts!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:52 AM

Lea, you can always start your own community of like-minded mamas and still frequent here. A lot of members do this, and there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe this "annoyance factor" is exactly the sign that some of you mamas need to form your own community outside of Mothering.

A smaller board can prove to be more cohesive and intimate, and may serve some of your needs better.

I tend to come here for general advice or to give it, other than that my day-to-day stuff stays on a private MUCH smaller board that I belong to
Old 07-05-2003, 12:54 AM

I know I'm a newbie here, but I spend the bulk of my time in the diapering area. It's all too overwhelming otherwise.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:57 AM

I think the inside joke thing is happening in most forums. I have felt very uncomfortable in other forums, and finally found one that I felt I fit in. I do post in other places too, just not near as much. I know that when diapering is done in my home I will be frequenting other forums...I don't know. I'm sorry that it bothers other mamas though.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 07-05-2003, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamamoo
I think the inside joke thing is happening in most forums. I have felt very uncomfortable in other forums, and finally found one that I felt I fit in.
I agree! I stay far far away from activism for this very reason. There's a number of people who post there regularly who don't give you that warm fuzzy if you know what I mean so I avoid them. Sometimes I feel I am not part of the 'in crowd' in TAO. I feel very comfrotable with most of the diapering mamas and we are almost always a very welcoming forum and I rarely see anyone getting a cold shoulder here. A very friendly bunch of mamas sepnd a large portion of time here in this forum.

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
Old 07-05-2003, 01:07 AM

IMHO The "OT" threads are part of what makes this feel like a community to me. I am a newbie (at least I considre myself a newbie still!) and the "ot' posts never bothered me a bit, but instead, made me realize that the women (and men) here are really a community in every sense of the word... it didn't make me feel "left out".... because I made the effort to keep coming back and get to know these people.

If all you want is a place to get information and not "give back" then maybe a bb is NOT the place for you???

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but it just seems that people who don't participate here on a regular basis are attempting to make those who participate on a daily basis fit THEIR idea of this board instead of what the people who come here often want the board to be. If you don't care about the friday SOS stalking, don't read the posts... if you don't want to know anything but laundering info, then don't read any other posts.

Ifyou just want general cd info, go to the many info pages (i.e. punkinbutt, darshani.com, etc.) and don't come here to get info. If you have a ?? post it... I've posted ?? that I know have been posted many times before and I ALWAYS get a respectful and enthusiastic response. If I wasn't willing to post a ?? I wouldn't get po'd about not getting answers to my ?? KWIM??

I know I'm a newbie, but this whole topic smacks of censorship and beauracracy...

if the "senior" members here who know so much and who are such close online friends started their own community somewhere, I know I'd be bummed and would stop coming here. Those are the women who answer newbie questions with sensitivity and grace... those are the women whose posts I read, JUST BECAUSE their name is on the "started by" .... because I know that 9 times out of 10 I'm going to learn something and the other time, I'm going to laugh so, if you don't like to read OT threads, then you have just as much of an option to not come here if it is so irritating to you IMHO.

Lo
Old 07-05-2003, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lea
I agree! I stay far far away from activism for this very reason.
I agree completely!

There is never an "inside joke" risk with us. I believe we are the most welcoming and inviting crowd at MDC. We people who don't know about cloth b/c we loooooove talking it up.

When I first came here, I didn't know from snappis!

I believe that we can foster the inner hyena that dwells in us all.

I also use "view new posts." If someone's post is not interesting to me, I just don't click on it. It is just that easy.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 AM

I have to say, I'm a bit bothered by this post also. So you mean that the women in here can't "get to know each other", we can ONLY EVER EVER EVER talk of diapers? Once you get "into" a forum, you usually just go there. I think knowing each other on a personal basis makes it more fun. Of course I don't think we should bombard the boards with this, but I think it's great to hear about someones DH getting a job offer, etc!!!

I agree with whoever said, just don't open the thread.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:47 AM

What if we had a chit chat area in diapering. I love the humor of the mommas here. I can't wait some nights to log on and get the latest and greatest info. There is always something new and exciting. I love to hear about what mail everyone got, who sniped who, who is instock, ect ect.
You guys crack me up. i post other places too, but some are very dry and I do not feel the "community" that I feel here. I just belong here! I hate to think I am making others angry with my jokes and humor. I try to stay OT but somethimes it is so hard! LOL

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
Old 07-05-2003, 01:47 AM

I love this diapering board and this community. I don't personally mind OT posts such as someone being pregnant because I won't see them elsewhere.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 AM

I'm sure I've had my share of OT posts here in diapering. I have tried to branch out and I do post in a few other forums, but really, we do have a sense of community here in diapering. I've made some good friends and even met a couple of the mamas here IRL.

I think an OT chat board within diapering would be great! <hint, hint>

Then again, I've thought to myself "what will I do when Finn gets out of diapers?!?! I won't be able to post here anymore!"

I'm sure branching out is good, but some OT posts within the diapering community, well, I just don't see what the harm is in that
Old 07-05-2003, 02:03 AM

Can I just say, that I don't think it is only a matter of annoyance. SO many times I have gone through the most recent new posts, spotted interesting topics, read them, and wanted to jump in -- only to realize the WHOOPS, this is an off-topic post in diapering, and since I'm not a CDing mama, and these posts are CLEARLY not open to me, but only the select group of mamas who have gotten to know each other here -- and then well, I feel out in the cold.

If you put your posts in the appropriate forums, then I will feel welcome to respond to them and to get to know you all. The feeling I get though, is that you are not too interested in my responses, or in getting to know me.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:07 AM

with what anyone posts on the diapering board because I love to hear what every single mama who hangs at the board has to say even if it is not related to diapers. I guess I am the odd man out here and sorry your so frustrated.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:10 AM

well..
I have been apart of 2 different types of parenting boards for over 3 years now.. one a community of 10,000 registered members & another with about 150 active members & not a ton of forumns

on the large board people usually only posted on a handfull of forumns. I posted on 1.. the age group for my child
we talked about anything.. everything & whatever in between in that forumn

on the small board we do try to keep things in their apropriate forumn.. however they do have one main board that everyone knows their post will be seen by everyone

I have issues with the way MDC is.. it is TOO large to be so strict about where posts are.. I find it alot harder to make friends here..
Ive been here almost 3 months & could only tell you 1 or 2 usernames & their real names & most likely wouldnt get their kids names right

I guess it depends on what Mothering's goal is here.. to encourage friendships that last years or just have people hang out awhile learn a little about parenting & everything else & then move on

I myself mainly post in Diapering & now that Im not buying up a storm.. Im not as active / nor will I be

I was thinking about this the other day because I like this board because I feel theres alot of women I could learn from but felt discouraged because I dont really KNOW anyone..so checked out the members & clicked by top posters.. & was not one bit suprised that for a board that had been around awhile alot of members dont really stick around that long
Old 07-05-2003, 02:12 AM

Quote:
If you put your posts in the appropriate forums, then I will feel welcome to respond to them and to get to know you all. The feeling I get though, is that you are not too interested in my responses, or in getting to know me.
I am interested in ALL responses. Really. But while I understand this comment in theory it's too hard for me to get to other boards. I work part-time am busy with my husband's business and his youth pastoring and my 9 month old daughter. In theory it would be a wonderful place if we could all cross post. But to me these boards are way too busy for me to do that personally.

I like the idea of a chit chat area within diapering if it has to be that way.

But I need a clarification is talking about sniping and auctions and whose instock etc OT? I don't get that if it is. To me those are directly about diapering even though it doesn't appeal to everyone.

And from a personal "business" perspective - I used to work for ParentTime way before it was Parenting and then Women.com. For them the boards were smaller and much more compact so it was important for them to keep the topics on target. For instance when Women.com was bought by iVillage they lost tons of members to Oxygen/MomsOnline cause iVillage was so vast that many people felt lost. I didn't go there either.

MDC is HUGE. Which is great for MDC but it makes it harder on the new people especially to fit in. Thus it makes sense that smaller communities within the HUGE whole would eventually evolve. Otherwise people are just going to come for info and when they have it leave not stick around. For the most part. Again just my .02.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:15 AM

oh & another thing that ticked me off..now that I went & read those threads & someone was making a complaint that OT posts wernt moved to TAO..

well.. I did try to make an effort in TAO awhile back...it was my daughters 2nd birthday & i had made a wonderfull signature that rolled thru pics of her from birth to age 2..I posted on her birthday & asked everyone to look at it.. not person replied

if I post OT here in diapering people have replied with care

User Tag List