Proposing a new Sub-Forum: TV-Free Families - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 236 Old 09-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So, what other kinds of topics would be covered? Other than the issue of character references, it wouldn't really occur to me to visit a TV-free forum. We don't have a TV, so TV just doesn't come up in our lives as an issue unless someone outside the family makes a reference to it. What am I missing?
Tamagotchi, I'm feeling a little silly explaining/defending my ideas about a hierarchy of threads for a forum that doesn't yet exist... and maybe you wouldn't need to visit the forum for any reason other than to discuss the tv-show-character issue, but others have expressed some thread ideas. Here are a few of them:

Quote:
How do you explain to your kids that your family does not watch TV, while others do? Will your kids fit in? What happens if you watch a few select videos - are you opening Pandora's box? What do TV-Free families do when some "down time" for mom and dad is needed, and there is no TV. How does one deal with criticism from family members and friends?
Quote:
Just today I was wanting support; sick all day with 2 kids at home. Years ago I would have stuck some videos on; today I'm proud not to have/use that option but could have used some support and suggestions.
Quote:
We need to help support those people who have made such a bold step, and to show others that there are alternatives to plugging in.
Quote:
* convincing a spouse to get rid of the TV
* finding new ways for kids to occupy themselves so mama can do housework/have some personal time
* discussing the research on effects of TV exposure
* how to explain reasons for no-TV to family/friends
* concerns about DCs being "out of the loop" with their friends on pop culture

> Does no TV= no visual electronic media (no movies, no youtube clips, games, etc.?)
> Do your kids watch TV outside of the home?
> TV-free babies, toddlers, preschoolers, etc. -- concerns are different. Orienting response issues vs. content issues, etc.
> Defending your ideas when EVERY OTHER MOM YOU KNOW IRL TELLS YOU YOU'RE CRAZY (oops, was I shouting? )
> Traveling without the portable DVD player (people told us there was NO WAY we could drive the kids 800 miles without one... : )
> Ideas to help mamas making the no-tv transition get the 30 minutes of peace they have come to rely on the TV to provide...

Anyway, maybe you won't be stopping by much, which I think would be too bad. I think you'd be a great model for other mamas trying to make the transition. I read your comments re: the speech therapist and would also love a way to help doctors, therapists, etc., "get" that my kids won't understand a lot of the references they've made... (although the kids seem to have picked up a lot of it by osmosis. : )

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#62 of 236 Old 09-16-2007, 04:41 PM

subbing
#63 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Was away for the weekend...

Anyway, I was a little concerned when I posted about the Dora bandaid issue that it would sidetrack the thread, but I am really excited by the conversation that has ensued. It seems to me that most everyone on this thread "gets" how useful a TV-Free forum would be. I too believe that TV-Free is the anchor of the forum, not commercial-free. Not to say the two topics aren't inextricably linked...

Meanwhile, I am not as excited by some of the comments a while back about how hard it is to get a new forum on MDC. I feel as though we are talking in a vacuum, and there is a "magical" way to get forums added, if we could only figure out what it is. Are there not published criteria? When I look now, with a more discerning eye, at some of the forums on MDC (ones that I rarely visit) I am really scratching my head as to how some of them got added. Decluttering? Is that really unique to natural family living? I am NOT trying to be disparaging. I have NO problem with that forum, except in the context of comparing it to the people on this thread trying to start a forum that could be so incredibly useful to families trying to swim upstream in the battle against the influence of TV in every aspect of our lives. I am trying to imagine the passionate conversation that took place by momma's trying to convince MDC that a sub-forum on decluttering was absolutely vital. I can't.

I am so excited by the conversations that are churning around on this thread, that I just can't wait a year to see if we get our forum or not. I am facing issues every day -- and I really need to chat! I just cannot do it on the Finding Your Tribe TV-Free thread. That's a waste of my time.

A great big Thank You to all those that have posted and added your thoughts. At the very least, it is very validating to know that I am not out here alone. Please continue to post, and encourage others to do so.
#64 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Also chiming in here. I am subscribed to the TV free tribe and have been for a long time now. I don't post much anymore as one post asking a question usually gets lost after 2 or 3 new people introduce themselves. It seems like there are always new people joining that tribe... I don't know why anyone would assume there's not enough support for a TV free forum.

Also, I've never been able to go back and read the multitude of postings that happened before I found the tribe. I just don't have that kind of time... and don't want to sit in front of a screen all day. Threads are much easier to search for relevant info.

PRETTY PLEASE WITH PINK SUGAR ON TOP!!!!!
#65 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 AM

Shell, I hang out in the decluttering forum quite a bit, and I agree -- it's that the people there that take decluttering in a NFL direction, not that decluttering is inherently an NFL topic. Unlike, say, TV-free living.

#66 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
That said, Zinemama, you may be the perfect person to help someone who is trying to make the transition from tv-using to tv-free. Just a description of your day, for example, might help someone who wants to turn off the TV but isn't sure how, for example, she'll accomplish all she needs to accomplish without it. I'm not saying it's your responsibility to do it, but you might have a lot to offer to other families in the forum.
Well, you're right.

I guess I just don't see the issue for myself because I was raised without a tv and it is so much the norm to be this way. (Although, I have to say, being raised without a tv by a mother who was - shall we say - a little overzealous about it, has made me a lot more relaxed about some of the things mothers here are worried about. If my kid watches tv at someone else's house or comes home with a character band-aid, it's really no big deal to me. I know those things didn't affect me in the long run.
#67 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't see the issue for myself because I was raised without a tv and it is so much the norm to be this way. (Although, I have to say, being raised without a tv by a mother who was - shall we say - a little overzealous about it, has made me a lot more relaxed about some of the things mothers here are worried about. If my kid watches tv at someone else's house or comes home with a character band-aid, it's really no big deal to me. I know those things didn't affect me in the long run.
Another reason your POV would be so valuable if the forum ever comes to fruition! :

Of course, the forum would have to have something to offer you, too... umm... loyal minions, perhaps?

#68 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM

Minions? I definitely could use a few of those...
#69 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM

and we watch TV! :

we are weaning ourselves off and its working well. Down to the most basic of cable...12 channels (about half in Spanish which we don't speak fluently so we don't watch them.) and we still watch movies. but I am so interested in this movement and have seen huge improvements in behavior in my 6 yo and family harmony and more time in the day to do fun things since our TV weaning this summer. I think a sub-forum for this is much needed. Also the finding your tribe section has not served me well in the past when first trying to "break" into a tribe and find messages, get to know members etc. Another vote from me!
#70 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 PM

We're weaning off of tv...seems like perfect timing as the sound is out and the captions have suddenly stopped working. We could definitely use a sub-forum for help. Often, I just have the tv on in the background for company and need to break free!
#71 of 236 Old 09-17-2007, 10:58 PM

I'm all in favor of a TV-free forum too. I need some help with some TV-centric nieces and nephews during the holidays. Previously the only way we could have a peaceful dinner was to "put a movie on." Now with my own TV-free one-year old in the house, I really want to avoid it. I'm hosting thanksgiving this year and would love some suggestions on activities for kids ages three to eight.
#72 of 236 Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 AM

i think a sub forum would be an improvement over the tribe.d

must go, dd wants me to read thundercake to her.
#73 of 236 Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

In case anyone is interested, I posted a seperate thread asking about what the process is for getting a new sub/forum approved.

You can read it here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=752781
#74 of 236 Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update everyone... I got a very thoughtful answer to my question about how new forums are created, including the below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post

...we are listing to what you have to say. We are discussing it now. We are reviewing some forums and we will keep it on our list as we do that.

We are currently shortstaffed so the process might not be as fast as we all would like but we will keep it on our list.

So at this point, I would say that if there is anyone out there with a new or unique perspective as to why a TV-Free Forum is so badly needed, that it would be worthwhile to share your views. And of course, general support is welcome too!
#75 of 236 Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
I mean -- there is a sub-forum for Television! How can there NOT be one for TV-Free?
I absolutely agree.
#76 of 236 Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 AM

I am hoping we get our TV free sub forum soon.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#77 of 236 Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM

I also would like to ask for a tv-free sub forum. I am trying, without much assistance from DH, to become a tV-free family. I didn't really think TV had that much influence until I saw my 18 month old cry and hug the TV : when I used to turn it off. THAT RIGHT THERE CONVINCED me, the four tv's in our house NEED TO GO!! To be able to have support from others and people to bounce questions off of would just be priceless. So please, please, pretty please...:

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#78 of 236 Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM

Just over here dreaming of a TV free forum.... :
#79 of 236 Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM

I would certainly visit a tv-free subforum. It would be a great source of support to families in transition as well as those who have been without tv long-term, and it doesn't exsist anywhere else on the internet, as the OP mentioned.

I can imagine daily or weekly check-in posts for families that are in transition, with lots of encouragement and celebrating successes together. We are not 100% tv-free but having a supportive community in place might get us there.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#80 of 236 Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka1977 View Post
Just over here dreaming of a TV free forum.... :
:

I live in a community where its perfectly normal to NIP a toddler, babywear, not vax, only eat organic, homeschool, etc. but I am considered a total freak for not having a tv...and its one of the best things I ever did as a parent.
#81 of 236 Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Another possible topic could be discussions/reviews of related articles/books... right now I'm reading David Elkind's new book and I think there is a lively discussion to be had about it...

Not to mention discussions about books/articles which say "Watching TV with your child -- as opposed to having no TV -- makes them more savvy about media messages, so to be the best parent possible, you really should let them watch at least a little" -- I've come across a few of these and the "expert" cited is almost always related to some 'child media' foundation (i.e., a shill for media corporations) and not at all an impartial party.

Anyway, still really hoping for this forum. :

#82 of 236 Old 09-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Adding my voice to support a TV free forum.

I would love to discuss/read all the stuff mentioned above as well as the postive effects of being TV Free on kids with sensory issues.

It would be nice to have a place where you don't have to feel like a freak about a parenting decision. Kind of like some of the other forums here at MDC provide that support for other parenting decisions.

As another poster mentioned as well, this is one of my proudest parenting decisions/accomplishments and I would love to have a place to discuss.
#83 of 236 Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, every day, as my daughter becomes a bit older and a bit more savvy, I have all sorts of questions and conundrums that I would really like to discuss. I mean really -- every day there is something new! I am lacking the language to discuss being TV and Commercial-Free. I just know that a TV-Free Forum would be of help.
#84 of 236 Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 PM

We haven't had tv programming for years, so no-tv has not been difficult w/ dd since she's only 14 months.

BUT, I find myself putting on a documentary or Pride & Prejudice or some child-safe video game like Katamari Damacy to entertain her when I'm not feeling very high-energy. And I always wonder if this isn't a slippery slope.

I'd like to be able to discuss this with other parents. I'd like to believe I can raise a family through consensual living and have kids who aren't wholly absorbed in tv because I provide an environment full of better experiences. But I also don't want to deny them media outlets like dvd or video games if they want access to that, simply because "I say so". I mean, I spend way too much time online but I don't think it's okay for, say, my dh to come home one day and cancel the dsl because he feels I'm too absorbed in it.

So yeah, I'd love a tv-free forum and I'd like to join in the discussions and see what others think about children's ability to take part in these sorts of decisions.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#85 of 236 Old 09-28-2007, 11:55 AM

And a few more great points... thanks, Paphia!

Paphia's post brings to mind a few other possible discussion topics:

For you, does no TV mean "no television" or does it also mean "no television, movies, DVDs, whatever" or does it mean "no screen time of any kind"? What is your rationale for these choices?

As your kids get older, are you modifying your positions at all? Again, what's the rationale for your choices?

As kids get older, what are the challenges and how have you met them?

#86 of 236 Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM

goldfinch~ May I copy your siggy?
#87 of 236 Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 AM

Of course! The more, the merrier!

: : :

#88 of 236 Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 PM
msp

oh, yes. A TV subforum would be great! Just as the EC subforum in the diapering section

I've been TV free for some years and ds was born in a TV free house. Then we moved to my mum's and it became impossible to prevent ds (then 1yo) to watch TV. At first he only wanted to be with grandma, but after a year he's gotten more interested.

We're moving soon to a TV free house again.
#89 of 236 Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 PM

I'd like to add my vote for a TV-free forum. We're currently far from TV-free, but it's something that weighs on my mind. One topic I'd like to see a discussion on is how to convince your dp to get on board. In our family, I don't think that it could EVER happen for him, but I'd like to at least go TV free with our dd. So how can I convince him to keep the TV off when dd is awake, that it's not imperative to her childhood to watch SpongeBob every morning (she's 13 months!).

I'd love some more information on the effects of TV watching on young children, and like others said, support while transitioning to TV-free, esp when there's a giant one in the living room that dp will NOT get rid of.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#90 of 236 Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 PM

Testing my new siggy which just happens to bump this thread too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page