Proposing a new Sub-Forum: TV-Free Families - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 236 Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This would be an interesting article to discuss.
#182 of 236 Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 PM

I am really antsy for this... any progress?
#183 of 236 Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
havent read the whole thread but would love a forum as well!
#184 of 236 Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 AM

This is a *wonderful* idea that could really make a positive difference in the lives of a lot of MDC mamas, both helping those who are already TV-free discuss issues that come up, and *inspiring* others.

DD was TV-free until about 9 months or so ago. I desperately want to be TV free again. Would love to chat about it. Also not a fan of the "tribe" format.
#185 of 236 Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 AM

Adding my support! I would visit the forum often. I agree with the pp's that the TV free tribe hosted so many different topics that it really feels like we need a forum. Also, I need the encouragement and wisdom of the mamas here to stay on track. We went from no tv to some tv for dd and I'm pretty uneasy about it. I could really use the forum, and I'm sure many others could too.

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#186 of 236 Old 11-09-2007, 08:27 AM

Chiming in to adding my support to. We're technically not TV free (as I mention in the FYT thread), but we're very close to being and being able to read others specific questions about being TV free rather than having to go through a long thread would be very VERY helpful for those of us hoping to phase out television or who wonder "Is THIS much tv ok?" (seeing as the only TV he's really around is my DVD of a Celtic Woman concert that we listen to while playing).

Plus, I'm only able to get online for a limited amount of time every day and I have a lot to get done while I'm on...I literally don't have TIME to go through an entire thread to see what's said. Just easier to click on threads
#187 of 236 Old 11-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
This would be an interesting article to discuss.

It would! It would!

If only we had somewhere to do it... :

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#188 of 236 Old 11-11-2007, 11:26 PM

about two months ago i went to look for the tv free forum, and was shocked to not find one.

i hope to see one soon.
#189 of 236 Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 AM

One of the biggest reasons I hear for families "needing" TV is to get some "down time", "me time", or just time to get dinner done etc. It would be great to swap tips with other families about how we get our down time without TV. It would be a great conversation to have for TV-free families and those who are thinking about it too...

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#190 of 236 Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM

I just wanted to add a new voice in support of a TV-free forum. I was raised 90% TV free (we watched the Lawrence Welk show, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, and Mary Tyler Moore show). Now, my DH and I probably watch TV once a week when something interesting is on PBS, although the TV is in the basement, and we aren't fond of spending much time down there.

We'd like to raise our children TV free, but I had a hard time as a child not being able to relate to my peers, who seemed to constantly be relating real life to something they saw on TV. Now, as an adult, we are having a similar issue. Our friends all watch lots of TV and go to the movies (which we also don't do), and we have a hard time following a lot of the conversations and inside jokes because they are all media related. I would love to be able to converse with others who are raising media-free children in a hyper-media world.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#191 of 236 Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
I just wanted to add a new voice in support of a TV-free forum. I was raised 90% TV free (we watched the Lawrence Welk show, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, and Mary Tyler Moore show). Now, my DH and I probably watch TV once a week when something interesting is on PBS, although the TV is in the basement, and we aren't fond of spending much time down there.

We'd like to raise our children TV free, but I had a hard time as a child not being able to relate to my peers, who seemed to constantly be relating real life to something they saw on TV. Now, as an adult, we are having a similar issue. Our friends all watch lots of TV and go to the movies (which we also don't do), and we have a hard time following a lot of the conversations and inside jokes because they are all media related. I would love to be able to converse with others who are raising media-free children in a hyper-media world.
Interestingly, I find that the hyper-commercialization of of childhood has made this less of a problem than it might have been when you were a child. My kids knew who most of the popular characters were long before they ever saw them on a screen, because they populate every aisle at Target! Dd sometimes asks about movies or characters, and at this point she's seen bits and pieces of many things at other people's houses, but I don't think it's had too much of a negative effect on her social interactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
One of the biggest reasons I hear for families "needing" TV is to get some "down time", "me time", or just time to get dinner done etc. It would be great to swap tips with other families about how we get our down time without TV. It would be a great conversation to have for TV-free families and those who are thinking about it too...
I was going to post this exact thing! Dinner prep time is the one time I sometimes envy those who do videos. Some dear friends visited us last week. They have kids similar in age to ours, and out parenting styles are very similar with the exception of their more liberal use of videos. They basically told me I would be making my life much easier if I just put in a video when the time came to make dinner. On nights when I am really grumpy, and the kids are super clingy or getting into everything, I wonder if they're right.: Is it worse to watch a video, or get yelled at by your mom.:

So, what are good tips? All I've got is making dinner ahead as much as possible. I use the crockpot some (that would be a fun thread on a TV-free forum, "No TV Crockpot recipes"). I also make pizza dough in the bread machine, and try to get the toppings prepped at naptime. Getting the kids involved in dinner prep helps a little, though it's hard with two 2 year olds.

I actually think one key to a happy TV-free existance is a house with an open floor plan. We've had that in the past, and it made a huge difference. You could be close to your kids, but they needn't be underfoot. Our current house is very divided. The kids all have to be in our small kitchen when I'm there, and it drives me bananas.

Trying to get my bearings...
#192 of 236 Old 11-13-2007, 12:39 PM

Another person who would love a TV-Free forum.
#193 of 236 Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM

oo, i would be very interested in this forum, and i say this as someone who mods on another board where we are wary of requests for new sections because they can become such dead wood...

but i find the tribe threads really hard to use... and i think MDC would be a great place to open up a space for discussing tv-free and low-tv life.

i was raised TV-free and dh was very-low-TV by current north american standards : ... and we aspire to raise our kids the same!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#194 of 236 Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 PM

agreed- there should be a tv free forum. i am currently a member of a tv-full family and I'm interested in switching over, but the tribe is WAY overwhelming.
#195 of 236 Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Hey funkygranolamama - cleaned your house yet?
#196 of 236 Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM

I'd like a forum too. We are tv free but not media free (eg we watch movies, even horrible disney princess fare). For the first time, a playdate asked to watch tv. She then lectured my daughter about how GREAT tv was and how much she loved it. I'd love discussion.
#197 of 236 Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Here's another vote for a forum! I was raised TV free and am raising my kids w/o TV as well. We would love a forum! I posted once in the tribe thread, but it was way too hard to keep up with.
I would like to discuss inlaws and how to combat my mil who insists that DC are going to be delayed because they don't watch Sesame Street! : ....
#198 of 236 Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
how to combat my mil who insists that DC are going to be delayed because they don't watch Sesame Street! ....
Yup. We have friends who gave our then-one-year-old kids horrendous electronic toys... their stated explanation -- not meant as a joke! -- was "since you don't let them watch television, we figured they needed some educational toys." :

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#199 of 236 Old 11-16-2007, 11:35 PM

We just got cable back. A TV-free forum might have saved us. No, really. We felt like such outsiders and didn't know what to do about it. It would have been great to have some chit-chat or to get some inspiration for a lifestyle choice we wanted to make but needed some help with...

4 kids under 10
#200 of 236 Old 11-16-2007, 11:40 PM

Arwyn or any other mods:
Is anyone discussing this?

Trying to get my bearings...
#201 of 236 Old 11-16-2007, 11:43 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'd like this sub-forum, too.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#202 of 236 Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 AM

We are (cable) TV-free and only do a few videos. I feel like an outcast where I live. Please consider!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#203 of 236 Old 11-17-2007, 05:37 AM

I've been searching and searching for MDC's TV-free subforum...If any site would have one, it would be here...of course they would, with all these radical forward-thinking mamas, but I looked in media...I looked in parenting...I looked in home/unschooling. Only until I googled it did I find this huge thread of people pleading for a place of there own.

I am trying desperately to go tv-free, but need support from others who have gone before me. I don't know where else to turn but here. Help
#204 of 236 Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Hey funkygranolamama - cleaned your house yet?
many times and it's destroyed immediately-- always.
#205 of 236 Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 AM

I hope this is ok to ask, but is there another forum somewhere on the internet for TV-Free families? I can't find one. I don't know anyone IRL who is tv-free and I would *love* to talk to others... no I *need* to talk to others!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#206 of 236 Old 11-18-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
I hope this is ok to ask, but is there another forum somewhere on the internet for TV-Free families? I can't find one. I don't know anyone IRL who is tv-free and I would *love* to talk to others... no I *need* to talk to others!
I've searched and searched, but no... there is no such forum. Can you imagine? There is a support group for every possible thing in the world, but not being TV-Free!

The ONLY thing I've found are tips for families trying to go TV-Free for ONE WEEK during national TV-Turnoff Week. The tips that are offered are extensive, as though turning off the TV for one week is a monumental task! :
#207 of 236 Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We've been TV-free since ds was born and he's 4 now. But some days are so hard that we're starting to use rented videos . I don't know any full-time SAHMs who don't use TV/videos/DVDs - that's how they get through the day . I need support now more than ever...

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#208 of 236 Old 11-18-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post
Arwyn or any other mods:
Is anyone discussing this?
It is in consideration. The decision to add a new forum, and then getting it added once the decision has been made to go ahead, is a lengthy process. Patience is the watch word here.
#209 of 236 Old 11-18-2007, 08:00 PM

As we anxiously wait for this hoped-for-forum I just have to say that we've been completely tv free for 3 weeks now!
#210 of 236 Old 11-19-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJJBlue3333 View Post
As we anxiously wait for this hoped-for-forum I just have to say that we've been completely tv free for 3 weeks now!
That's awesome!

It's funny -- having DS not watch any TV seems so normal to me now. It seems weird that it's radical! I am so, so glad I did the research on this when he was a baby and we got it "right" from the beginning.

The other day DH's co-worker, whose (two-year old) daughter is a few days younger than our son, said he wanted to have her watch The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horrors episode, and they got a few minutes into it before his wife put her foot down. He said, "It's classic TV!" :

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page