since when do posts have to be more than 50 characters? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK y'all we cannot have a discussion arguing about a member here, it is completely inappropriate.

We'll be removing some of the posts but we have to do it the wrong way as we can't split stuff off without renaming it so please be patient while we hack away at this thread.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not convinced that the 50 character limit will really change anything. Most of my posts are longer than that anyway (excluding some on the now-defunct 8002 by 2008 thread.) And if I really want to post a hug to somebody who's recently suffered a loss, or is just asking for support while going through a difficult time, it's not that hard to type " I'm so sorry for your loss" or " I hope things work out for you" instead of just a .

And I do think there is validity to posting a "yeah that" to somebody's thread- letting the OP know that more than one person thinks that way (20 people think something is fishy about the neighbor's behavior and she SHOULD take action, for example) instead of it just being one person's opinion, which carries less weight.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#63 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonee View Post
How about the sw is set to discourage post count whoring by not letting posts < 10 or 20 or whatever count in the postcount? Then single smilies but also single support hugs wouldn't count,a nd those who want to raise their post count will actually have to say something?
I think single smilies are valuable sometimes. I think the : is great when someone has said it all, but you're voicing agreement. It's valuable for the pp to see how many people agree with that particular opinion.

Also, getting a has been very meaningful to me at times when I just needed support.

If the post count thing is a problem, then why not just have post counts until one is a full member and then not list them?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#64 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

And I do think there is validity to posting a "yeah that" to somebody's thread- letting the OP know that more than one person thinks that way (20 people think something is fishy about the neighbor's behavior and she SHOULD take action, for example) instead of it just being one person's opinion, which carries less weight.
Yeah, that. blah blah blah blah (<-------making sure I have 50 characters.)

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#65 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
If the post count thing is a problem, then why not just have post counts until one is a full member and then not list them?
that is a good idea. because what difference does it make how many posts one has?
#66 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM

I am in the camp who feels that it is inappropriate for a child to be on an adult board. I come here to speak with other adults, not children. When I want to speak with children I go to Neopets. It is parental perspective, the opinions of other mothers, that I seek here. I talk about things that I would not be comfortable sharing with a child, and I want adult feedback. Children and adults are all people, unique and valuable persons; however, children are not adults. It is not somehow more respectful to treat children like adults.

I also feel posts should be of more substance than just a single emoticon. I feel a minimum character requirement is a good idea, especially with some people posting just to boost their post count without contributing. Furthermore anyone caught inserting a bunch of extra characters to make the limit should be disciplined same as they would for posting offtopic in TAO.

I am not talking about anyone in particular here; this is how I feel in general about these subjects.

Carry on.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#67 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I think single smilies are valuable sometimes. I think the : is great when someone has said it all, but you're voicing agreement. It's valuable for the pp to see how many people agree with that particular opinion.

Also, getting a has been very meaningful to me at times when I just needed support.

It's not the post count that's the problem, I don't believe. It's the fact that posting little posts *constantly* right after another and another until you're getting to upwards of 30+ posts a day that bogs down the server and crashes it. Some of the server problems could be fixed by not having the million post threads and a bunch of teeny tiny posts all day long.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#68 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
It's not the post count that's the problem, I don't believe. It's the fact that posting little posts *constantly* right after another and another until you're getting to upwards of 30+ posts a day that bogs down the server and crashes it. Some of the server problems could be fixed by not having the million post threads and a bunch of teeny tiny posts all day long.
but maybe without having post counts listed, it would remove the motivation for little meaningless posts. I have seen people have contests about who can get more posts in a certain time period, etc. that to me, seems really inappropraite.
#69 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
s It's this but also, basically every time the server has to think and process a lot of info at one time, it bogs it down. So it's actually a two-fold problem. A long thread with a lot of posts is a lot of work to load (in that it's more work than the typical 100 post or less thread). Then, multiply that by the number of people clicking to view it. Then there's the click to reply, the click to preview, the click to submit the reply. The software has to load alll of the info for that thread every time it is clicked. If everyone on the thread is participating and online at the same time, multiply by that number. Then factor all of the members on the thread posting new reply after new reply within the span of a minute (see a few sentences back with the number of processes the software goes through just to do that). All the while keeping track of when the post was made in relation to every other post on the MDC boards being made at the same time.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#70 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:

and actually, I think its more like 300+ posts a day, not 30
#71 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
but maybe without having post counts listed, it would remove the motivation for little meaningless posts. I have seen people have contests about who can get more posts in a certain time period, etc. that to me, seems really inappropraite.
Yes, absolutely. That would be a good idea and I bet it would work too.

#72 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
and actually, I think its more like 300+ posts a day, not 30
Oy. Yeah, 300+ posts a day, plus what FOG was saying () makes a very good reason to have a 50 min limit. I can't even think of 15,000 characters to write every day, so I think the limit would *really* bring down the 300+ posts that several people are having.

Here I am griping about useless posts and I think 80% of mine on this thread have said the same thing. I'll back away from the thread now.

#73 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM

I think if the longer and FYT threads are a problem, then there should be a post amount guideline so that there is a definate number for when tribes should make a new thread as to not tax the system.
#74 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I guess it just seems unfair to "punish" those of us who are not posting in an abusive way. To my understanding, there isn't really much of a point to the post counts after you're a full member, other than bragging rights. Sometimes a teeny post is all you need to make.

Quote:
Yes. I don't know that it's really such a bad thing, except that it crashes the server. But if there weren't post counts, I don't see why people would carry on with these threads.

And how will Alegna post her pithy replies? Seriously, it reminds me of highschool, when you had a 1,000 word essay that you had to stretch to 5,000 words.

#75 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Oy. Yeah, 300+ posts a day, plus what FOG was saying () makes a very good reason to have a 50 min limit. I can't even think of 15,000 characters to write every day, so I think the limit would *really* bring down the 300+ posts that several people are having.

Here I am griping about useless posts and I think 80% of mine on this thread have said the same thing. I'll back away from the thread now.
so because of a few people you want to restrict members who are actually contributing to many many threads a day? just because you make alot of posts in one day does not mean you are just putting nonsene posts up. I can name one sometimes helpful member off the top of my head who posts alot in one day.
#76 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
But if there weren't post counts, I don't see why people would carry on with these threads.
Because people like to have lighthearted social conversations sometimes. The same reason you might like to chat with your in-person friends even if you don't have something Highly Serious and Important to discuss.
#77 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
Because people like to have lighthearted social conversations sometimes. The same reason you might like to chat with your in-person friends even if you don't have something Highly Serious and Important to discuss.
human companionship. Alot of us dont have IRL freinds, have our own social issues, its the middle of the night and we are awake and alone, its nice to be able to converse lightheartedly with freinds.
#78 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:

My friends and I have never had a conversation where we see who can speak the most words.
#79 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoyingreader View Post
this rule is supposed to stop posting for the sake of a higher post count, aka stop fluff posting, and instead it is making people add fluff to all of their posts.
And really sucks for those who nak too. Okay... here is my fluff...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#80 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

You know what I honestly think would help out quite a bit? The vbull hack/addon/whatever that automatically merges posts consecutivly made by the same user without other posts by other users in between. FOG, know anything about it? Several other message boards I'm on have the feature and I know it has helped with the post junkies. That way you can't post like 20 times in a row and have it count towards your post count because it will make it all in one post.

#81 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I don't mean the chat threads. I just mean the "post to increase your post count" thingies. Heck, sometimes my only social outlet in a day (besides my wonderful kids) is MDC. So I get the need to chat!

#82 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
A couple years ago I noticed another forum (ok it was a Harry Potter board, sue me ) requires three lines of text for posts.

I mentioned it to Cynthia as people were getting flamed for posting single smilies in too many posts.

Yes, the point of it is to reduce power posting, which, IMO isn't actually making a contribution. At what point is it excessive? How many thousands of posts does someone need to make consisting of only ":" before it is a nuisance?

Power posting isn't contributing, it is artificially inflating one's post count for no other reason than a high post count.
THe problem is some of us are NAK and can only offer a or Congrats! sometimes without being able to blabber through 50 characters. Is that enough? Will it let me post this?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#83 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
You know what I honestly think would help out quite a bit? The vbull hack/addon/whatever that automatically merges posts consecutivly made by the same user without other posts by other users in between. FOG, know anything about it? Several other message boards I'm on have the feature and I know it has helped with the post junkies. That way you can't post like 20 times in a row and have it count towards your post count because it will make it all in one post.
That's a fabulous idea! Hope that can be done here at mdc. Would probably solve a bunch of problems.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#84 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 PM

Maybe all threads where people post just for the sake of getting a higher post count should not be allowed? I know the 8002/2008 thread was yanked, I think, but maybe they shouldn't be allowed at all? Would that help the issue? Keep no min post limit, but get rid of post just to post threads?

#85 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I'm going to have to take a look at that. I haven't seen that one, but then I haven't added a hack onto a vB board in awhile either.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#86 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I don't mean the chat threads. I just mean the "post to increase your post count" thingies. Heck, sometimes my only social outlet in a day (besides my wonderful kids) is MDC. So I get the need to chat!
those threads have been shut down for a while from the last time the server had an issue
#87 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Most post to increase your post count threads generally become a chat for the people involved. I know I pretty much limit myself to a couple of chats because they are groups that I actually "know" well.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#88 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
That's a fabulous idea! Hope that can be done here at mdc. Would probably solve a bunch of problems.
I agree. I know I do this sometimes on accident when I'm NAK. But you can't very well delete your post once it's already there.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#89 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:09 PM

FOG, since you are on the technical end of this. How is the new server doing?
#90 of 223 Old 01-13-2008, 09:10 PM

I'm joining the camp of "yeah, the ninium requirement is fine, but 50 is too much. 25 or 30 would be better, IMO"

I do post a lot, and I do, when I feel its appropriate, post a single smilie. like the yeahthat or a Hug. but in respect to the server, I have, of late, refrained from using smilies at all, and I encourage others to do so. I also don't power post, but I enjoy chat threads. Mothers need 'down time' too :-)
and yes, 'multi-quote' is your friend.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page