since when do posts have to be more than 50 characters? - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Cynthia has fixed the thread titles and removed the post min.

Please join us next time for another exciting edition of "the boards do funny things right when Cynthia goes to bed."
Thank you Cynthia!!!! Good Night!!!

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 05:15 AM

I can't believe I read the whooooooole thing! I'm glad I did, though, and I would like to bring up a point I didn't see made regarding single emoticon posts. Another function of these, and other quickie posts, is getting to know one another. As in, "oh, so-and-so agrees with that too," or "oh, I didn't know so-and-so suffered a loss too," or "it's nice to see so-and-so shares that hobby even if we never end up chatting/posting on the same thread about it."

I am more often verbose than not, but would not be in favor of a 50-character limit (not that we're voting ). I am one who posted (not excessively, imho) on the Countdown to 1,000,000 thread, but, as pps have mentioned, I was just there to chat somewhat anonymously and get to know others without having to bare all my personal opinions at once. Of course we joked about post counts, but, as there is no benefit to a high post count after meeting those 50/60, etc. requirements, I can't believe anyone takes the count seriously at all.

Just weighing in ...
Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquibsNCrackers View Post
I can't believe I read the whooooooole thing! I'm glad I did, though, and I would like to bring up a point I didn't see made regarding single emoticon posts. Another function of these, and other quickie posts, is getting to know one another. As in, "oh, so-and-so agrees with that too," or "oh, I didn't know so-and-so suffered a loss too," or "it's nice to see so-and-so shares that hobby even if we never end up chatting/posting on the same thread about it."

I am more often verbose than not, but would not be in favor of a 50-character limit (not that we're voting ). I am one who posted (not excessively, imho) on the Countdown to 1,000,000 thread, but, as pps have mentioned, I was just there to chat somewhat anonymously and get to know others without having to bare all my personal opinions at once. Of course we joked about post counts, but, as there is no benefit to a high post count after meeting those 50/60, etc. requirements, I can't believe anyone takes the count seriously at all.

Just weighing in ...
I agree. I think the chat threads do serve a purpose, in helping community members get to know each other better and creating a friendly atmosphere. There is benefit to allowing members to lightheartedly converse without necessarily having an in-depth discussion of a specific NFL issue.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquibsNCrackers View Post
I can't believe I read the whooooooole thing!
I was just thinking the same thing. I did not like the idea of a limit, or at least the 50 limit. I do have a higher post count and a earlier join date, and I have been known to post : or or even : on threads. But it has never been for post counts. I just never knew that it upset so many people when I did. I guess I will have to watch what I post more often. Though usually I am quite wordy.

It is always amazing to see what people think when odd things come up. It seems to give you a different view point sometimes than what you see when you are posting or reading on a routine subject in a regular forum.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 AM

Here's a question, which I hope doesn't come across as snarky ...

What's more likely to kill a thread?

, :,

Or

a 3 paragraph theme on my background, first hand experiences and opinions on Topic X?

You can check my posts ... I usually go on and on, and I've killed my share of threads, so I know what I'm talking about.

Reading that Brigianna agrees with me, or letting Kidzaplenty know I find her comment about different viewpoints insightful, is all part of developing relationships/community, imho, and sometimes all it takes is a :.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Please join us next time for another exciting edition of "the boards do funny things right when Cynthia goes to bed."
: Yeah, mods!! Thank you. : :

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 AM

thanks...good to see i havent been banned as well.

(seemed everyone had a "blocked ip address" earlier)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 PM

I'm glad to see this minimum is being removed.

I think especially on grief threads, a hug or candle is VERY meaningful and I'm sure those moms and other family members appreciate them. We've had at least 4 moms here die in the last year and there are other loss and grief threads....the quick hugs and candles on the grief threads matter.

Also, this is a natural family website. Some moms are nursing or snuggling at the computer and a brief show of support is all they have time for.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Same time next week?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Yay!

...now, what more could I say in response to that?

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Same time next week?
No it was still last night, after fixing the other problem Cynthia took a small nap. She logged back on to me crying.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer View Post
I agree with those who have said that people are just going to add a line of dashes, or a copy & pasted second signature, or a row of smilies (which are even worse for the server, yes?)

If you don't want people to post just to boost their post count, then tell people that it's against the rules to do so, and delete the "boost your post count" threads. And remove the incentive. By all means, make it so that posts don't count toward your post count unless they're 50 chars long.

Copy and paste as needed:

I wholeheartedly concur with what the above poster has written. So a big :

What if I don't concur wholeheartedly? What if I just concur? What if I don't want to give a big yeah that? What if I just want to give a regular ole yeah that? One of the great things about smilies is that you don't have to type out "yeah that." You can just type : yeah :. What's the point of having convenient smilies like the "yeah that" smilie if you then have to type 50 chars anyway?

But why? Why do you need to respond to something when someone has already responded the same way? Just silently nod your head and move on to another thread or think of something eloquent to say.

Some times I do that, but other times I feel it's important to let the poster know that there is support for their position. And, IMO, it can be even more important to let everyone reading the thread know that a certain opinion is not just one person's isolated position.

As far as eloquence, any writer worth her salt can tell you that often the most eloquent way to say something is with just a few well-chosen words.

If we give people the impression that the only valued posts are bulk posts, it will encourage people to blab on and on without actually saying anything, which will in turn discourage people from wanting to read through posts.

I really don't see what is wrong with just saying "welcome" or "yeah that" or "taking notes." In fact, it's rather upsetting to see such posts referred to as "drive bys" and see the implication that such posts are without substance. I think it's nice that people say "welcome" and "I agree with this" and "this is helpful information" and "thank you for posting" and I would hate to see such posts disappear from MDC.

If people don't know that it's possible to subscribe to a thread without posting, then I think the way to address that is through education.

I just really don't understand why people think that a post has to be 50 chars long to be meaningful. Regardless of certain of my posts (including this one), I'm actually a big believer in short and sweet. Saying something with just a few words can be a very effective and powerful way to make an impact on a topic.

I agree with others who have pointed out the irony of a device that is intended to decrease the posting of "meaningless nothing" actually having the effect of increasing the posting of meaningless nothing. "OK I've said what I wanted to say in a few words and now you'll just have to keep reading blah blah blah there." Do we really want to force people into the position of having to either add quantity to their posts or refrain from contributing at all?

I also don't see the problem with chat threads. I thought people generally enjoyed them. Is this supposed to be a fun-loving community, or is it supposed to be a place where you're supposed to keep your mouth shut except when you have something really profound to say about natural parenting?

maybe only those with mature thick skin should be on a board of this nature.

I'm mature, but I still have a very thin skin and there's nothing I can do about it. Maybe people think I don't belong here?

For those who share things here that they would not want to share with a child, keep in mind that children read over their parent's shoulders and use computers on their own as lurkers.

Seriously, it reminds me of highschool, when you had a 1,000 word essay that you had to stretch to 5,000 words.

Yes exactly! I've been trying to think of what this reminds me of. That's it! Thank you! This issue has been giving me a (before your post, subconscious) flashback to high school when I had to stretch what I felt was an ideally worded essay into a greater number of words (to meet some arbitrary minimum limit) by adding a bunch of bullcrud. "Let's see how many words I can stick in without changing the meaning of what I want to say. In other words, let's see how many words I can add that mean NOTHING. How long can I go blah blah blah blah..."

And really sucks for those who nak too.

Good point!!!!!

Can't you always return to a thread when you finish NAKing to reply to it?

For some mothers, breastfeeding is one of the few (or only) times of the day when they can visit MDC.
:

I wholeheartedly concur

This exactly

ITA

Hellz yeah

User Tag List