Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's all I'll say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i don't see anything really wild, what are we looking at?

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#3 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

And we are looking for......?

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#4 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#5 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't see what's bad - please elaborate?
#6 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM

yeh, I'm not seeing anything either.
#7 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM

I'm not seeing anything weird...

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#8 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

It might not be there anymore, but there was an ad for Autism Speaks the last time I looked at it.

ETA: Aha. It changes. That makes sense.
#9 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

Not seeing anything odd...
#10 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 PM

I think I saw it - an Autism Speaks ad. I notice it was associated with The Ad Council, so it might just be in the general "non-profit" category...
#11 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM

oh, whats autism speaks? (I get that it's an autism awareness thing, I think) briefly ('cause I surfed in from the main page and don't have any experience with autism) why don't we like autism speaks?

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#12 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

It's an organization that wants to find a cure for autism (both "low" and "high" functioning autism) and is working towards finding a prenatal test for it.
#13 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM

So, what's wrong with it exactly? Can you elaborate more????

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#14 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Allison Singer, one of the people in charge of Autism Speaks (vice-president of something, I forget what) said in a movie called Autism Everyday, put out by Autism Speaks, that she considered driving her and her autistic daughter off of a bridge and she didn't because she had another daughter who is not autistic who she needed to care for, too. That is probably the number one reason why I don't like the group. Another reason is that it claims to speak for autistic people but it has no autistic people on their staff and it advocates things that most autistic people would never advocate, like a cure and prenatal testing.
#15 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniej View Post
So, what's wrong with it exactly? Can you elaborate more????
This is a pretty common question.

Basically they are an anti-autistic hate group focused on preventing people from leading a-typical lives with a-typical neurology, even at the cost of potential genocide, proven harmful treatments, and very harsh "training" programs. Not to be overly dramatic, but this behavior pattern is neurological fascism.

Since I am so very against their core purpose, I am happy that as an organization they waste/spend so much of the donated money on things other than Autism research (aka private jets), but I wish that money and goodwill would be spent to increase Autistic people's quality of life, instead of undermining their existance as "accidental" and "preventable"

For a less intense view of the problems people have with them you should check out an older thread about them:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=773396
#16 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM

even though I wouldn't use the colour that shaggydaddy uses, I could see where a pre-natal test could lead to termination of an autistic child, where as having a child with autism can be a learning, growing, family experience.... I am against all forms of prenatal testing that could give someone grounds to "screen" their children (gender, handicap, whathaveyou) so I will agree! I don't think I am a huge fan of autism speaks either!

see OP mama, that stupid banner educated someone!

#17 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that's good. I'm glad for that.
#18 of 26 Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM

I am actually very excited about a genetic link to autism, but Autism has a public image problem that needs to be solved first. A non-scientific public image firm such as autism speaks could actually work wonders toward solving the very real and very solvable public image problem, (i.e. letting people know that autistics are not emotionless husks, that many autistic adults lead full and rewarding lives, etc). I think the part about Autism Speaks that is so frustrating is that they are soaking up all the good will and funding and are turning it around for more fear mongering.

The whole Autism Speaks "Autism Awareness" campaign is so annoying to me, it has ZERO positive effect except to earn Autism Speaks more money.

Here is a list of things to be scared about, here is how horrible your child will be, here is your puzzle ribbon, welcome to the club.
#19 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Wow.. i didnt know that about that Allison lady - that's scary! It's sad and scary to think that most general people would think this is a orginazation that might be worthy to donate/fund to - when it's not! YIKES! I would never give money to someplace/someone with such fasish (sp?) ideas!!

While i agree that testing should be used as a reason to "screen" and terminate children... some might want screening so they can be prepared and research what lies ahead (the only reason i ever did testing - i wanted to be prepared IF something was wrong - not to avoid it - KWIM?). Autism isnt always immedently noticable at birth - so maybe a newborn screening might work in that regards... but i dont think it any possible/future test should be used to terminate a baby - ever.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#20 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
but i dont think it any possible/future test should be used to terminate a baby - ever.
That's the problem they are terminating "problems", not people; with the Down Syndrome test this is already happening, and it would happen with the Autism test too, because these 2 classes of people (and others) are considered sub-human by many policies, groups, and public perception. That is why I said this is a public image problem that must be solved, preferably before the genetic scientific one is nailed down.
#21 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM

I actually just saw that "Autism Everyday" vid, thanks to a link in one of the other threads that was mentioned in this post. I had never seen it before.

That was gutting. It made my stomach hurt. I would be willing to bet a large amount of money that those poor parents had no idea how that video was going to be edited to make them look. All of their worries and frustrations manipulated to look like that's their entire life.

I doubt there are any parents out there - autistic or NT kids - who haven't had awful moments like that. Thankfully, the majority of us don't have to watch our darkest moments exploited for money.

Just ... ugh.
#22 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 06:28 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I am always glad to see this discussion revived. Autism has such a bad reputation. When I was beginning to look into special needs adoption, I said that just about the only condition I didn't feel I could handle was autism. Well, wouldn't you know it! My biological son is diagnosed with autism! Of course, in that lovely ironic way that fate has...

So now fast forward a few years, and this diagnosed kid at 11, is by far my easiest; the one with perhaps the brightest future. We have done no therapy, just given him the freedom to find his own way (with support) in the world. I do not know where his path will lead him, but this morning he went downtown at 6:30 to serve breakfast at a soup kitchen - entirely his idea, and he had to ask my friend to drive him, as I had an appointment. Hmmmm, no social skills, no empathy. Yup, right. Yes, he is obsessing, but it is about poverty and hunger, and he wants to fix things! Maybe we need a few more obsessive autistics to repair the mess we neuro-typicals have made of the world.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#23 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acannon View Post
Allison Singer, one of the people in charge of Autism Speaks (vice-president of something, I forget what) said in a movie called Autism Everyday, put out by Autism Speaks, that she considered driving her and her autistic daughter off of a bridge and she didn't because she had another daughter who is not autistic who she needed to care for, too.
OMG That is so disturbing.
#24 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 PM

This topic is really interesting to me. I don't have experience with autism in my life first-hand and was not aware of the issues surrounding various groups until recently. I do think that if Autism Speaks is seen as discriminatory and a 'hate group" by autistic people on MDC and their friends and families, then it shouldn't be advertised on these pages.
#25 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 PM

Does Mothering have an official stance on autism? I know that the magazine has run articles about "cures" and the notion that it is environmentally caused, but it doesn't seem to be an official position in the way that, for instance, circumcision is.
#26 of 26 Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
So now fast forward a few years, and this diagnosed kid at 11, is by far my easiest; the one with perhaps the brightest future. We have done no therapy, just given him the freedom to find his own way (with support) in the world. I do not know where his path will lead him, but this morning he went downtown at 6:30 to serve breakfast at a soup kitchen - entirely his idea, and he had to ask my friend to drive him, as I had an appointment. Hmmmm, no social skills, no empathy. Yup, right. Yes, he is obsessing, but it is about poverty and hunger, and he wants to fix things! Maybe we need a few more obsessive autistics to repair the mess we neuro-typicals have made of the world.

Your son sounds like a wonderful young man.

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page