Spin-offs and the UA. - Mothering Forums
Site Help > Spin-offs and the UA.
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 03:06 AM 06-26-2008
I just want to check that I'm understanding this right, so please can someone explain this? The UA says

Do not start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.

Sometimes, though, someone says something interesting that I'd like to take further because it's worthy of discussion in and of itself- in other words, a spin-off (positive, mostly). I've seen others start these threads too. Is this OK or not?

georgia's Avatar georgia 01:08 PM 06-27-2008
Hi, Helen! Thanks for asking. Let me see if I can make this succinct The difference between spin-offs and a thread that would be against the User Agreement would be that spin-offs do not actually discuss the original thread, the thread's posts or the participants. With a spin-off, the original conversation sparks a different topic or direction and someone helpfully decides to start a new thread so the previous thread can stay on-topic.

Does that help clarify at all?
Up