Spin-offs and the UA. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to check that I'm understanding this right, so please can someone explain this? The UA says

Do not start a thread to discuss member behavior or statements of members made in other threads or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Do not post to a thread to take direct issue with a member. If you feel a member has posted or behaved inappropriately in a discussion, communicate directly with the member, moderator or administrator privately and refrain from potentially defaming discussion in a thread.

Sometimes, though, someone says something interesting that I'd like to take further because it's worthy of discussion in and of itself- in other words, a spin-off (positive, mostly). I've seen others start these threads too. Is this OK or not?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Helen! Thanks for asking. Let me see if I can make this succinct The difference between spin-offs and a thread that would be against the User Agreement would be that spin-offs do not actually discuss the original thread, the thread's posts or the participants. With a spin-off, the original conversation sparks a different topic or direction and someone helpfully decides to start a new thread so the previous thread can stay on-topic.

Does that help clarify at all?

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page