Why oh why no potty learning forum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-13-2008, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems so very strange that we don't have a forum dedicated to potty learning. Sure, we have the EC forum, but that's only relevant to a certain age.

It seems that the toddler forum is always being over run with potty learning woes and questions.

Am I alone? I'd love to see one! It seems that many mamas (myself included) feel like we are just intruding on the toddler forum with PL questions...

so...??
#2 of 29 Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
We can consider a subforum within Toddlers but I don't see this as a stand alone forum need.

#3 of 29 Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I concur. Please oh please? I want to ask a million PL questions, but I hate to bog down the Toddler forum... a subforum would be dreamy!
#4 of 29 Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 PM

I think it's a great idea. The potty threads are so specific to a single topic. It would be great to have one place to keep those discussions. And there are SO many in the toddler forum. I think a subforum would be great.
#5 of 29 Old 08-15-2008, 05:33 PM

I think its a good idea... But potty learning isnt always specific to toddlers. Many times pre-school aged kids are still working on it.
#6 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 AM

I don't see the need, to be honest. Would something like the TTC ONE thread work for you?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
It seems so very strange that we don't have a forum dedicated to potty learning. Sure, we have the EC forum, but that's only relevant to a certain age.
I don't see EC as specific to a certain age any more than breastfeeding is.

If you look at potty learning as Elimination Communication you are approaching it without conflict, with respect and an understanding that it is through communicating that you will help your child stay clean and dry.

I would recommend dropping into the EC forum to ask questions or looking at the EC links as you may find that there are useful ideas that might help you.
#8 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, please. PL threads seem to get lost in the toddler forum. It would be nice to be able to go one place and see everything about PL!
#9 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 PM

I think a PL'ing subforum would go nicely under Diapering, along with the EC forum.
#10 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 06:31 PM

i also agree the EC forum is not age specific-you can gain lots of knowledge on elimination communication which is relevant to all ages.

you may consider posting your questions there and see what responses you get.

::
#11 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM

I think a potty learning sub forum is a super idea!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#12 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM

I also think it is a great idea.

mama to Isaac, born Jan '07; DS to Josh.
:
#13 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
I don't see EC as specific to a certain age any more than breastfeeding is.

If you look at potty learning as Elimination Communication you are approaching it without conflict, with respect and an understanding that it is through communicating that you will help your child stay clean and dry.

I would recommend dropping into the EC forum to ask questions or looking at the EC links as you may find that there are useful ideas that might help you.
I wouldn't go there. It's way too out there for me.

I also HATE the term potty learning. I think a potty training forum would be great though.
#14 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM

I vote for a sub forum in toddlers, it is overrun with questions about the potty.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#15 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
I vote for a sub forum in toddlers, it is overrun with questions about the potty.
: I actually have several questions that I want to ask right now, but it seems like when I do ask, I get very few responses. I always feel like people are thinking, " not another potty question."

My only concern with a sub-forum is that people who are done with PLing/PTing probably won't go there and so people who have BTDT won't be answering the questions. At least with it all combined into Toddlers, there's the scroll-over that might grab someone's attention.

Rambling...sorrry

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#16 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM

I think we also need a potty learning sub forum I think it is a great idea!!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#17 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 09:16 PM

Another mama here who'd love a potty learning sub-forum.
#18 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Another vote for a potty place of some sort. This mama could use some support!
#19 of 29 Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post

I also HATE the term potty learning. I think a potty training forum would be great though.
Why? You can use EC principles to help your older child learn how to communicate with you when they need to use the potty or toilet. With tiny people or bigger children you still watch for signs, you use the 'golden rules, you offer pottytunities, you might waterproof the bed, use trainer cloth pants....

Really, go and have a look at the EC forum and you will see that it is a mine of information for whatever age child you need to help use the potty and not their clothes.
#20 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I concur. Please oh please? I want to ask a million PL questions, but I hate to bog down the Toddler forum... a subforum would be dreamy!

:

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#21 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 05:31 PM

I feel it would be better as a subforum under diapering than associated with age because not everyone is dealing with a baby or toddler while they are going through this process. My dd was late in using a toilet-5 years. I know there are other parents of later potty trainers who have posted in the childhood years in the past.

Some threads in Elimination Communication would not have made me feel welcome posting there about my older child. There is a negative tone about later potty learning.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#22 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 05:43 PM

zombie - good idea

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#23 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post

My only concern with a sub-forum is that people who are done with PLing/PTing probably won't go there and so people who have BTDT won't be answering the questions. At least with it all combined into Toddlers, there's the scroll-over that might grab someone's attention.
Really? I browse through most of the forums, even if it's not something that would normally jump out as being something of interest to me... Like the Off The Grid forum - I'm not interested in ever unplugging from the grid and being completely self-sufficient, but I think there are quite a few threads I can learn from.

Likewise, I scroll through the Life With A Babe and Toddler forums, even though we aren't even preggers yet, because there is a lot of good info there.
#24 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Why? You can use EC principles to help your older child learn how to communicate with you when they need to use the potty or toilet. With tiny people or bigger children you still watch for signs, you use the 'golden rules, you offer pottytunities, you might waterproof the bed, use trainer cloth pants....

Really, go and have a look at the EC forum and you will see that it is a mine of information for whatever age child you need to help use the potty and not their clothes.
Having learned here that at least some ECers find the idea of a preschool-age child in diapers "weird," "unnatural," and "gross," and think it only happens because the parent "ignored the child's needs in favor of adult convenience," I, for one, would not be comfortable going there for pottying advice of an older child. If I had a PL-ing child ever again, which is unlikely. (And that wasn't even on the EC board. )

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#25 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 08:18 PM

I've always asked my questions in the EC forum, but I can see how people with be more comfortable with a specific pottying section and I think questions would likely get more answers there.

I also agree that it should be in the same section that the EC forum is in (someone said it's under diapering?) because people with kids of all ages could post there.

And also in agreement that there could be a better name than "potty learning" or "potty training". Even something like "Potty Time!" would be better....

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#26 of 29 Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcat View Post

lol, that's what I thought, then I "went there" once and it was :

treehugger.gif
#27 of 29 Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM

I too would love to see a potty training/learning/whatever forum in a non-age specific location, (in diapering would be good) its hard to have to jump between toddlers and childhood years looking for the threads when you are needing advice and I end up missing threads that would have been helpful.
#28 of 29 Old 08-22-2008, 04:48 PM

This request will be kept in mind, but for now, MDC is putting a hold on any new subforum additions.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#29 of 29 Old 09-24-2013, 05:31 PM

We now have a dedicated sub-forum for potty learning: http://www.mothering.com/community/f/17518/potty-learning 

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page