A New Name for MDC - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
What about keeping the same banner and top navigation that is on the Mothering Mag homepage consistent with the MDC forum? This would tie the two together and when you go between the mag site and the forums one would feel like they are still on Mothering.com rather than a different site.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#62 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Question: Is MDC for sale?
#63 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
What about just adding the word Magzine...So it says Mothering Magazine's Natural Family Living Community at the top
:

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#64 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyD View Post
Question: Is MDC for sale?
Why would it be for sale and why would you think that?

to the op, I think it would make more sense to better integrate the Magazine and the boards. One the front page for just mothering.com the link to the boards is very small and easily missed. It is advertised at all in the magazine? The same is true for the front page of the forums. There's no easy way to tell there is a magazine that sprung the forums.

I like the idea of a pp for those googling and finding the site being given three options to click- the thread they were looking for, the main boards and the magazine. A programming nightmare maybe but I dunno about that stuff.

I'm not sure how much a commune this place is in the traditional sense. Still the name is easy to remember.
#65 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:40 PM

I found MDC a long time ago through a search engine. I came directly to the forums. I hadn't heard of the magazine then. I know about it now but still haven't read it.

I think it would increase my interest and awareness of Mothering magazine to:
1) have a separate forum exclusively for Talking About Mothering Magazine between Welcome to Motheringdotcommune and Parenting. I would relocate Currently in Mothering there and the NFL workshop. They seem awkwardly placed right now.

2) host discussion of individual articles rather than just feedback on articles and features in the current magazine issue. Perhaps that could be a subform of Currently in Mothering with one thread started by the moderator for each article in the current issue -or even just selected articles- and they could be archived every 6 months.

3) If possible, throughout the board at the top of the individual forums could relevant articles in the current Mothering issue be listed... maybe something like "check out <article> on <forum topic> in the current issue of Mothering magazine"? It would reinforce the magazine aspect and might really help the forum feel connected to what is going on in the magazine.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#66 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Another vote for the picture of the current issue that is a link next to the title. I'm one of those people who never know what day it is, let alone what month it is and whether there is a new issue... having that visual would have more impact than the word "Magazine" (which is also a good idea, not shooting that one down). Sometimes it feels like much of the community has "moved on" from the magazine to the community, rather than keep them as a cohesive whole. Even with the community answering a lot of my questions, I still find great articles and ideas in the magazine when I remember to read it. It would serve as a reminder to those who are aware of the magazine that it is always having new issues, and it would add some excitement to see when the new issue is out just by checking the forums. I think it's a touch of freshness that the forums could really benefit from.

ETA: another idea I have is one I've seen elsewhere, like news sites, that when in a discussion someone mentions something that is directly relevant to content of a magazine or even one of the books put out by Mothering, like Natural Family Living (usually with a double underline), then it would be easily linkable through the advanced editor or autolinked. I have no idea how complex this is or how foolproof it is, but it would certainly put the company in a more prominent place if it worked smoothly.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#67 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthesmilingone View Post
Why would it be for sale and why would you think that?

There seems to a lot of streamlining going on lately. New names for the mods. Peggy is near retirement age. I mean, I might sell it, too, and enjoy my silver years in utter peace, so I'm not taking issue that it could be for sale. I'm curious, is all.
#68 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
3) If possible, throughout the board at the top of the individual forums could relevant articles in the current Mothering issue be listed... maybe something like "check out <article> on <forum topic> in the current issue of Mothering magazine"? It would reinforce the magazine aspect and might really help the forum feel connected to what is going on in the magazine.
I also like this idea!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#69 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyD View Post
There seems to a lot of streamlining going on lately. New names for the mods. Peggy is near retirement age. I mean, I might sell it, too, and enjoy my silver years in utter peace, so I'm not taking issue that it could be for sale. I'm curious, is all.
It is just several projects getting done at once that have been in works.

A lot of mods did change their names. but that was their thing.

The name came from a thread started in TAO back before the crash. MintyJulepz started the thread, that was her name pre-crash anyways. She was contacted and asked permission before the board was named that.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#70 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks for clearing that up abimommy =) It's weird there's years of posts before I joined and even more from before the crash. Lotsa history!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#71 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
What about just adding the word Magzine...So it says Mothering Magazine's Natural Family Living Community at the top
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesface View Post
why not just add magazine to it?
"mothering magazine's natural family living community"
Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
What about keeping the same banner and top navigation that is on the Mothering Mag homepage consistent with the MDC forum? This would tie the two together and when you go between the mag site and the forums one would feel like they are still on Mothering.com rather than a different site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
The header should say Motheringdotcommune - Mothering MAGAZINE'S Natural Family Living Community
Also, a PROMINENT LINK back to mothering.com would help advertise the magazine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
I like what the op Serenyd suggested :

Motheringdotcommune
Mothering MAGAZINE'S Natural Family Living Community
You can Put a link to the magazine in the Mothering Magazine part of the title.
I say : to all of the above.

I'd love to have it kept MDC because as the smilie says:

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#72 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 02:42 PM

I don't have any suggestions for a new name. I like Mothering Dot Commune.

I agree that the magazine itself should feature a lot more prominently on the MDC pages. The link to Mothering is tiny, and just a word rather than an image. I know that ads are necessary, but the pages are swamped with them. Why no promotion for the magazine? Surely a link showing the current cover could fit in someplace, at a minimum?

If one of the purposes of this inquiry is to promote subscriptions, then I would love to see hardcopy subscribers of the magazine receive some benefits online. I myself have 2 subscriptions, one for me and one for my library, but that doesn't entitle me to any of the premium membership features.
#73 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 03:56 PM

I like commune because it is a word that makes people feel like they belong to the group instead of just being a part of a whole... that might not make sense... it's more of a belonging feeling than a feeling of just being there... like how you might feel like you belong to your group of friends but in a college class you're just one person there in the group.

I agree there isn't a ton of face recognition for the magazine on the forum page... maybe centering the logo would help. Also when you come to the main page as a guest there is a welcome box and then two BIG ads... maybe having your logo there and a larger welcome text so guests are encouraged to read what the forums are all about/sponsored by. When I see that I see my eye going to the ads and not the welcome text.

Similar to other pps, I like "Mothering's Digial Commune", or "Mothering Magazine's Digital Commune"

B wife to B and mama to my two boys B 1/23/07 via csect and H 9/27/08 my vbac babe!
We , selectively (don't) vax, babywear, cosleep, love music, and try to be as crunchy as we can get!
#74 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
If one of the purposes of this inquiry is to promote subscriptions, then I would love to see hardcopy subscribers of the magazine receive some benefits online. I myself have 2 subscriptions, one for me and one for my library, but that doesn't entitle me to any of the premium membership features.
Hmmm. Now that's an interesting thought. I was also thinking about a "Subscribe to Mothering Magazine" link in the little Support MDC box.

Some news sites I've seen have the option to leave comments right at the end of the articles. Would that be an option? Or a link directly after the article to a discussion? Maybe in a "Talking about Mothering Magazine" forum as OnlyZombieCat suggested? Also, would there be a way to include discussion about the articles in Letter to the Editor? Or, better, a way to submit letters to the editor from the forum?

Just curious.

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#75 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 05:00 PM

I always had a hard time navigating between the magazine's website and the MDC forums. It could be made more seamless with a bar at the side on both sites that linked from one to the other.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#76 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 PM

I think its an interesting idea to give paid subscription members some benefits! A multi-purposed kind of idea that would benefit both Mothering and its subscribers. I've no idea what those benefits might be though

Anyway I love MotheringDotCommune :, but agree that the magazine should be more visible, and the main homepage linked.
#77 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Just FYI- "commune" also means "to talk intimately with" (not just a commune living arrangement ). Put the emphasis on the second half of the word!
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/commune
#78 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned

Keeping the word "commune" isn't really necessary, it's just cute is all.

"Mothering Magazine Discussion Forum" is much more obvious. I don't think the whole "Natural Family Living Community" part helps tie the site to Mothering Magazine much.
#79 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I subscribed to the magazine a few years before I even knew about the forums, then I started coming to the message boards, but we would always refer to it as MMB (Mother message boards) if I were talking about it on my local board. After the MDC designation became more noticeable, I switched to that and I like it. There have been some good suggestions here. The only thing I can come up with is MMM or MMMb, basically Mother Magazine Message boards.
#80 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM

On the site design...
It also seems to me that this isn't an issue of name changing, but an issue of site design and appearance - it doesn't at all seem like the magazine and MDC belong to the same people. I agree too that I see almost no link from mdc to the magazine - i had to hunt myself to find the actual link. mdc IS much more a page of ads and banners and other junk - the content of the posts is great, but there is little to no artistic design of the mdc site itself. I like the ideas of using the same headers and banners on both the magazine's site and MDC, and featuring the current issue on top of both.

While i do know that there is a section for discussing current articles, I think i've only gone there once in 5 years - though i've received the magazine most of that time (whenever i've been in-country) and read and debated all the articles. A more clear link from the articles to the related discussions would be helpful. I do like that at the bottom of the weekly emails there's a link to some current threads - it's a great reminder to come chat when i haven't in a while.

I wouldn't say it's a "forum for mothering magazine readers" b/c if i weren't a subscriber I wouldn't necessarily feel welcome. i would leave it at MDC- mothering magazine's natural family living community. this implies a link to the magazine without making the subscription seem necessary.

On the name...
I like motheringdotcommune for similar reasons to pps. commune does seem an appropriate name for a community in which i share personal info and stories that i wouldn't share with most other people. it does seem to me that many/most magazine articles are geared mostly (not totally) to moms of babes and young kids, whereas i find much more support for older kid issues here on mdc. for that reason, i come back day after day. to me, this is the place where all of us readers and like-minded mamas get together to discuss how/if/why/where we do (or do not) live out the ideas presented and debated in the articles. it's my place for support. and now that i live out of the States, and am pregnant again, it's my main support - and like many, one of the first places i announced this new baby's life!
#81 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecanoe View Post
I agree that perhaps a newly redesigned graphic header featuring Mothering Magazine would make it more clear that this board is an offshoot of the principles espoused in the original magazine.
Yeah. And, add me to the ones who don't like the dot commune part. Something about that inspires images of flakiness among the general public, so when talking to someone who's not on the board I either call it MDC or "Mothering Dot Com's forums" so that I don't lose them before they've even had a chance to check it out. I like "Mothering's Digital Community" a lot!

ETA: It's not that I think commune is flaky itself, but calling an online community one seems weird.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#82 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonee View Post
Pesky oldtimer me: I thought it was Willow, Yammer's wife?
I recall it as being Minty. You might remember it differently than me, it was awhile ago

Not all those who wander are lost 
#83 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM

i do think commune should be kept. i always refer to mdc as my home on the web. communes are not limited to a physical space........its also a bout a feeling of home and connectedness
#84 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 PM

:

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#85 of 223 Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonee View Post
Pesky oldtimer me: I thought it was Willow, Yammer's wife?
That's what I thought!
#86 of 223 Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsam View Post
Yeah... There's really no clear way (maybe no way at all?) to get BACK to mothering.com from teh discussions, so if you find a thread on Google, there is no connection BACK to Mothering. You can get to the boards from mothering.com through the discussions, but not back...

I also agree putting "magazine" under the motheringdotcommune title would be helpful to you. Mothering is in italics, but unless you know it is a magazine....

I second about putting maybe a clickable icon of the current issue next to the purple motheringdotcommune that could take you to mothering.com (which is about the magazine).

Also, there is a forum to discuss the current issue of Mothering, but it's pretty limited and it seems more like a feedback tool than an actual discussion of things in Mothering mag. If you opened that up- where people might be able to post and discuss their favorite (or not so favorite?) articles in Mothering (not just the current issue, either), you might get more exposure. Part of that also might be people linking back to it from other forums.

Mothering runs articles on all the stuff that gets talked about here a lot. If there was a way for people to easily search on-line articles and resources published in Mothering, it might be really good for everyone. Maybe a button of "Search Mothering Magazine articles for ______" at the top of each page?
I agree--having more forum space for discussing the contents of the magazine would be a nice link.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#87 of 223 Old 09-20-2008, 02:02 AM

I actually like the word "commune"....

Newly single mama to DS 4/20/2005. Recently back from ALASKA.
#88 of 223 Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 AM

I LOVE MDC as motheringdotcommune. I feel like a little insider with knowledge that the general public doesn't...and when I find someone "mainstream" who might lean a little our way I point her in the right direction. I like that MDC is a bit of a rebel in that it's filled with people of the same mindset who support our "non-mainstream" ideals/practices/values.

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#89 of 223 Old 09-20-2008, 02:31 AM

Hm. Where I'm from, breastfeeding is the norm, at least for the first six months. pretty mainstream. I actually dislike the elitism/rebelliousness/mainstream sux vibe MDC has sometimes. Isn't the point of this site and the mag to have everyone practicing AP/NFL ideals? I don't know, I dislike 'commune'.
#90 of 223 Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Oldtimer here, too, pre-crash.
It was Willow who came up with the name not Minty.
It's the little details like these that do matter because it is a legacy.
So, if someone here today renames the board, will they get credit 7 years later? You can see how history gets distorted...

Hi Abi!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page