A New Name for MDC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
We have found that a large number of MDC visitors are unaware of Mothering the magazine, despite the "Mothering's Natural Family Living Community" beneath the motheringdotcommune header. This may be for a variety of reasons such as reaching MDC through search results or through links elsewhere. Whatever the reason, we'd like to make a change that will link MDC to Mothering more clearly.

Mothering is undergoing a lot of development and redesigning and MDC will be a part of that. So we are looking at a new name for our community forum but at the same time we're attached to "MDC" and would like to keep it. Do you have any ideas for us that would let us keep MDC but give us a clearer name that connects to Mothering magazine? Please share your ideas with us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MDC--the Magazine in 3D!

Too long?

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#3 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
MDC--the Magazine in 3D!

Too long?
I actually really like that!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#4 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheBear View Post
MDC--the Magazine in 3D!

Too long?
That is cute! Or maybe something like "MDC: The Community Behind the Magazine"

Whatever it's named, can I just say the big giant red rectangle that popped up with this announcement is *really* bright. I didn't quite expect that when I logged in. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM

I thought, oh, great, I broke something again :

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#6 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Building on that...

Mothering 3D Community (MDC)
#7 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 PM

What about a more prominent placement of "Mothering Magazine" on the site? So when someone finds MDC through google, they'll know exactly where they've landed.
#8 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 PM

How about Mothering's Digital Community? Or Mothering Magazine's Digital Community?

But, I have to say, it sounds like it's less of a name issue and more of a magazine visibility issue. Can I ask what the concern is that visitor's aren't always aware of MDC's connection to Mothering magazine? Is it an issue of trying to increase subscribership? Or is it more an issue of protecting the core values of the community by making visitor's more aware of where they are? Or... is it something I haven't thought of?
#9 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Or Mothering Magazine Community
#10 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
What about a more prominent placement of "Mothering Magazine" on the site? So when someone finds MDC through google, they'll know exactly where they've landed.
Having been a member for so long, I don't even know what happens when a visitor follows a link from google to MDC-- does it go right to the thread, or is there an intro screen? Something like a semi-opaque overlay to the thread that says something like-- "Welcome to Mothering Dot Commune, the community behind Mothering Magazine." And have "Mothering Magazine" be a link to the main Mothering Magazine home page. Then have maybe three buttons below that labeled: Click here to read more about our core values. Click here to join/ sign in. Click here to go to the thread you requested.

ETA I'm only suggesting this for people who are A) not signed in and B) coming to MDC from a search engine.
#11 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM

What about just adding the word Magzine...So it says Mothering Magazine's Natural Family Living Community at the top

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#12 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM

why not just add magazine to it?
"mothering magazine's natural family living community"

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#13 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM

What about keeping the same banner and top navigation that is on the Mothering Mag homepage consistent with the MDC forum? This would tie the two together and when you go between the mag site and the forums one would feel like they are still on Mothering.com rather than a different site.
#14 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM

I also think y'all should keep MDC. Seems to me like it's mostly a visibility issue. Adding the word Magazine to the tag line should help. Why not also have the link to Mothering read Mothering Magazine? Why not add a picture of the current issue at the top of the page like on the Magazine homepage? Also a Subscribe to Mothering Magazine link from MDC, as mentioned.

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#15 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
Having been a member for so long, I don't even know what happens when a visitor follows a link from google to MDC-- does it go right to the thread, or is there an intro screen? Something like a semi-opaque overlay to the thread that says something like-- "Welcome to Mothering Dot Commune, the community behind Mothering Magazine." And have "Mothering Magazine" be a link to the main Mothering Magazine home page. Then have maybe three buttons below that labeled: Click here to read more about our core values. Click here to join/ sign in. Click here to go to the thread you requested.
i love this idea.
#16 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 PM

when you google, you just kinda land on a thread. This is how i found MDC. Despite being a reader and subscriber to the magazine, it took me about 6 months to make the connection between the two.

I think adding magazine to the title or i also liked the suggestion of MDC- mothering magazine's online community.
#17 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 07:14 PM

Yeah... There's really no clear way (maybe no way at all?) to get BACK to mothering.com from teh discussions, so if you find a thread on Google, there is no connection BACK to Mothering. You can get to the boards from mothering.com through the discussions, but not back...

I also agree putting "magazine" under the motheringdotcommune title would be helpful to you. Mothering is in italics, but unless you know it is a magazine....

I second about putting maybe a clickable icon of the current issue next to the purple motheringdotcommune that could take you to mothering.com (which is about the magazine).

Also, there is a forum to discuss the current issue of Mothering, but it's pretty limited and it seems more like a feedback tool than an actual discussion of things in Mothering mag. If you opened that up- where people might be able to post and discuss their favorite (or not so favorite?) articles in Mothering (not just the current issue, either), you might get more exposure. Part of that also might be people linking back to it from other forums.

Mothering runs articles on all the stuff that gets talked about here a lot. If there was a way for people to easily search on-line articles and resources published in Mothering, it might be really good for everyone. Maybe a button of "Search Mothering Magazine articles for ______" at the top of each page?
#18 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 PM

I was one of those 'had no idea' folks.

Like the other commenters, i agree the simplest way to make this more clear - would be to add the MAGAZINE in the title.
#19 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM

The header should say Motheringdotcommune - Mothering MAGAZINE'S Natural Family Living Community

I didn't catch on for a while either

I thought it was mothering in general, not like the magazine. Duh.

Also, a PROMINENT LINK back to mothering.com would help advertise the magazine.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#20 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM

I think Mothering is fortunate to have one of the most brilliant names for an on line community "Motheringdotcommune" Who else can use the word commune and really mean it, only Mothering.

I've been reading and subscribing to the magazine since 1985 so I came looking for you online years ago!

I like what the op Serenyd suggested :

Motheringdotcommune
Mothering MAGAZINE'S Natural Family Living Community

You can Put a link to the magazine in the Mothering Magazine part of the title.
#21 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
How about Mothering's Digital Community? Or
I like that one! Or maybe Mothering's Digital Commune.
#22 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi View Post
I think Mothering is fortunate to have one of the most brilliant names for an on line community "Motheringdotcommune" Who else can use the word commune and really mean it, only Mothering.

I've been reading and subscribing to the magazine since 1985 so I came looking for you online years ago!

I like what the op Serenyd suggested :

Motheringdotcommune
Mothering MAGAZINE'S Natural Family Living Community

You can Put a link to the magazine in the Mothering Magazine part of the title.
I agree with all of this....adding "magazine" to the subtitle on the page, and also the feeling that "dot commune" is brilliant & special and it would be a shame to lose it. I type MDC but say Mothering dot commune, and that's cool!
#23 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 PM

The magazine image (cover) should appear alongside the top banner. The link back to Mothering.com is there but small - should be prominent.

I also don't want to lost the motheringdotcommune name!

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#24 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsam View Post
Yeah... There's really no clear way (maybe no way at all?) to get BACK to mothering.com from teh discussions, so if you find a thread on Google, there is no connection BACK to Mothering. You can get to the boards from mothering.com through the discussions, but not back...?

On the very top of this page and all pages on the MDC there is a link.
Look on the left hand side it says the word "mothering " very small link to the magazine.
It should be a more prominent link.
#25 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 PM

How about motheringmagdotcommune
#26 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM

I agree about just adding a bit more embellishment on Magazine in thelinks/titles.

1 request tho, for the love of all that is good PLEASE don't add annoying pop ups bugging to sign in or subscribe to the magazine like *ahem* another magazine that shall remain nameless, I hate trying to read an article and having pop ups constantly, my anti-spam doesnt seem to filter them out.
#27 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM

You could offer supporting member subscriptions to people who put a Mother Magazine Advertisement in their signature space.

But seriously, I like the idea of just more prominently mentioning the magazine in the header, homepage, with a picture and link and not just the word "mothering" up in the corner. And add a banner ad for the mag. as part of the rotation.
#28 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 PM

I have to agree with some other PP's about it more a visibilaty issue... there is no clear linking back to the main site which is about the magazine.. I stumbled upon it the one day... not sure how... but originally I found the forums through a google search that took me directly to a thread in the Blended Family forum.

I suggest an integrated web system that ties the boards and main site together... there are several open source type programs on the web available... the trick however is to find someone savvy enough in php and what not to integrate it all, because it will need tweaking.

One site that is very large (a Wheel of Time book club) that has integrated both their main site and forums with some web coding is tarvalon.net... if you go to their forums pages (tarvalonforums.net) there are links down the left hand side that direct you back to parts of their main site.

The biggest down fall to this sort of suggestion is it would be like a clean slate, because you would likely need to upgrade or change the message board system you currently use... but with the advancement in technology and wanting to expand, it can't hurt to review it. There are a few different portal messageboards systems that offer the main site incorporation into the forums... I am particuarly fond of phpBB3, which I know does have a portal system now too.

((Note: You could always add an archive forum that links back to this board... with phpBB3 particularly you can have a forum that is just a link... comes in handy))

If you'd like some more examples of this, I'd be happy to help. I haven't built any phpBB3 portal sites myself, but have built 2 phpBB3 message board communities and am familiar with many of the functions of that system.

I honestly wouldn't change the name, coming from a marketing background, and web background... you have been around for several years... it would cause too much confusion and you have too large a base that knows the community as MDC, motheringdotcommune... From a standpoint of marketing and web design, I strongly recomend looking into a more integrated/upgraded portal system to house/showcase both the forums and magazine site.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#29 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM

Mothering Magazine Forums (or Message Board)
MotheringDotCommune
The community for Mothering Magazine's readers

h1 header for first line, h2 or h3 for 2nd/third. won't take up any more room the the header now.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#30 of 223 Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 PM

On another forum I go to, a forum for a webcomic, we always had people coming to the forum knowing NOTHING about the comic. Wouldn't be a problem, except people thought the forum was about something it wasn't and it was a bit disruptive. So now in the registration they have to answer a question about the comic before it can be finished. Would something like that be appropriate. Even something simple as "Were you aware that MDC is a community for Mothering Magazine?" and a simple yes or no answer. ???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page