Signatures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you please clarify the restrictions on signatures for those who have not purchased business signature advertising?
It is my understanding that links to personal, non-commercial websites are allowed. However, I have also heard that links to blogs or other personal websites are not allowed if the blog happens to talk about or contain a link to an etsy store or other commercial site. Again, these are personal blogs whose primary focus is clearly not commercial, but in blogging about one's life, it's only natural to talk about one's work, and link to it in the process.
#2 of 5 Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 AM

Hi here is our signature policy

Quote:
Board Signature Allowances
The board signature feature allows you to place a signature that will appear at the bottom of each of your posts. Your signature can include personal information about yourself and family, links to pictures or your personal (non-commercial) website or page, a quote, etc. Please respect the diversity of this community and do not use the signature feature to make statements that are offensive, related to abortion, or sexually suggestive. Please do not link to graphically disturbing images, or place things in your signature that reflect disagreements or issues within the board community. Inappropriate signatures will be removed at the discretion of the administration and the member in violation may lose the signature feature privilege.
You may list your personal blog in your signature, however, if it contains a link to site where you are selling, such as Etsy or a personal business, then you would need a paid signature package in order to include it in your signature even if the selling is not the main focus of your blog.
#3 of 5 Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Really? Even for 3rd hand links like that?

That seems a bit odd, because way back when MDC carried an ad from The Old Schoolhouse (was that the name?) which carried links to the Pearls, those of us that were outraged about it were told that MDC couldn't really do anything about 3rd hand links.

How far removed do the links have to be? For example if I put my Xanga blog in my sig, and it had links to my blogger blog, which had my Etsy link, would THAT be acceptable?

Just semantics on my part, since I only have an LJ, which is friends locked anyway, and I never get around to updating

nothing more to say I guess :
#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post

How far removed do the links have to be? For example if I put my Xanga blog in my sig, and it had links to my blogger blog, which had my Etsy link, would THAT be acceptable?
I'm curious about this, too. MDC's de facto policy on signature allowances, as explained by Jacque, is far stricter than the written policy.

I'm not looking for a way around the policy; I just want some clarification on what is truly permissible, as the signature policy obviously doesn't describe what is actually permitted.

Are blog links forbidden if the blog discusses any form of self-employment? Can I link to my blog if I talk about my bricks & mortar store if I mention it by name? What about if my blog has a link to my store's website, which isn't set up for e-commerce, even though it lists products I sell and gives the store's address and phone number? What about if I blog about the luscious jams I'm making for my town's farmer's market, and my blog also names the town I live in?

I just want a clearly stated idea of what is okay, not a pm from a moderator letting me know that my signature has been removed because it violates the unstated parts of the signature allowance.
#5 of 5 Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post

That seems a bit odd, because way back when MDC carried an ad from The Old Schoolhouse (was that the name?) which carried links to the Pearls, those of us that were outraged about it were told that MDC couldn't really do anything about 3rd hand links.

Just semantics on my part, since I only have an LJ, which is friends locked anyway, and I never get around to updating
This thread is about blog links in signatures. You're referring to a contract with a paid advertiser, which is a separate issue. You may not link to your blog in your signature if it links to your business or a site where you're earning money (or have the potential too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo6 View Post
I'm curious about this, too. MDC's de facto policy on signature allowances, as explained by Jacque, is far stricter than the written policy.

I'm not looking for a way around the policy; I just want some clarification on what is truly permissible, as the signature policy obviously doesn't describe what is actually permitted.

Are blog links forbidden if the blog discusses any form of self-employment? Can I link to my blog if I talk about my bricks & mortar store if I mention it by name? What about if my blog has a link to my store's website, which isn't set up for e-commerce, even though it lists products I sell and gives the store's address and phone number? What about if I blog about the luscious jams I'm making for my town's farmer's market, and my blog also names the town I live in?

I just want a clearly stated idea of what is okay, not a pm from a moderator letting me know that my signature has been removed because it violates the unstated parts of the signature allowance.
Our policy can't describe every possible scenario, but our user agreement is clear that advertising in signatures is prohibited. If you link to a site where you are selling something in your blog, then you need to have a paid signature package.

Quote:
Do not post to advertise your product or business. Acceptable advertising is available on the boards. Information may be obtained by contacting advertising@mothering.com for banner ads. Advertising in signatures and in discussion board threads is strictly prohibited with the exception of those members who have paid the fee for the Signature Advertising Package. MDC sales and fundraising information may be posted by administrators, moderators, and designated members. Members may not use their business or product names as a username.
If there is a sidebar that links to your business site that is clear advertising and you will need to have a signature package in order to place your blog in your signature. A casual mention of your business or work is ok because it’s just a natural part of your every day life. However, if you have multiple posts where you slip in your business, then it could be considered promoting your business and you would need an advertising signature package.

Every blog is unique and we will make decisions individually based on what we see applying what I stated above. If you have a specific question about your own personal blog, you may PM me with a link and I’ll be happy to review it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page