S/O: If you could have a "homebirth in the hospital," would you? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If you could have a "homebirth in the hospital," would you?
Yes 74 23.05%
No 201 62.62%
It depends 40 12.46%
The infamous other! 6 1.87%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you could have all the great things about homebirth at your disposal in the hospital, would you birth there? Total privacy, no machinery, no strangers, no interventions pushed on you, continuous one-on-one care, a pool, a big comfy bed, allowed to do what you want, etc. etc.? Dream up the most awesome hospital birth you can think of and tell me if you would choose that over home. I will give my own answer in a bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 06:53 AM

:

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#3 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 07:10 AM

I voted yes. Mostly for DH's benefit. I would *love* to have a homebirth, DH, not so much (yet, anyway, "we'll see how this birth (VBAC) goes first.") If "homebirth" at the hospital was available, I think DH would probably take that, and not be alright with birthing at home. At the same time, if I could have someone there without *being* there, I might be more comfortable as well, because we'd be at the hospital just in case something would happen, but would not have all the "machines" there. (Hospital "machines" intimidate me.)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#4 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 08:14 AM

I voted no. I need to be on my own turf, so to speak, when I give birth. I don't feel safe at the hospital.
And I don't want nasty hospital germs on my baby.
#5 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I voted no, the car-ride to the hospital and home again would be deterent for me. It would be nice if hb in the hospital was available for women who want it though.
#6 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM

No way! Not without good reason. And if I had good reason to be in a hospital, then a lot of those homebirth considerations would not be on my mind so much. Not that I would give up power by any means--just that if I were in a hospital for a medical reason, I'd WANT immediate access to medical stuff.
#7 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
I voted no, the car-ride to the hospital and home again would be deterent for me. It would be nice if hb in the hospital was available for women who want it though.
Me too.

Not to mention, the risks of infection in the hospital. I know it is small, but my sister picked up a really bad infection in the hospital. She was born healthy, but two days later she was in the nicu for 3 weeks with an iv in her head, spinal tap, etc.

I had a good hospital birth with my first after a transfer, and I still would not have a hospital birth again unless there was a medical reason.

I think it is important to advocate for change though for women who do give birth in the hospital.

It probably depends on why you choose home birth- as a reaction to hospital birth or as a desire to birth at home. Mine is the second.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 AM

there are a couple of things that just wouldn't be possible.

1. You would still have to travel there and back. (as mentioned earlier)
2. Exposure to more germs.
3. Not being in your own HOME.
4. No matter what there would need to be some regulations as to when you can leave or how long they allow you labor. It's just the way the system has to work.

the main benefit would be that if any emergency arises (whether it be with the mother or the baby) - the time it would take to get help would be reduced.

I think it is impossible. And what it would really be is a birth center birth next to a hospital.

Very interesting thought I'll be interested to see what others say.

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#9 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM

If I was too far from the hospital to make it there on time in case of an emergency. I UC'd but we were literally two blocks from our hospital. That reassured me. If I was far away I might consider going into the hospital. But personally I might not, too, because my labors have tended to go FAST and by the time I figured out I was actually in labor, I was already in transition.
#10 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 11:57 AM

No. There is just something about crawling into your own bed with your new baby that's just perfect.
And my own germs (and nobody else's). Lots of things that just can't be duplicated. Having the midwives come to you rather than having to drive somewhere while in labor, etc...
#11 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 PM

It depends. I would love it if a midwife run birth center had a secret OR staffed by a totally cool and skilled OB. But the hospital as it is packs a LOT of BS, typically. I fundamentally disagree with a lot of hospital policies and I don't know if you could still call it a hospital if I changed everything I wanted. (Like being attended by strangers in uniform :roll: )
#12 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't. It's still not home. I'd love to have the option though, and I'm sure many many mamas would prefer that to the regular old hospital birth.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#13 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 PM

No for me, but having said that, the option you describe is exactly what's missing from US maternity care. For women who aren't comfortable with a homebirth, they need something better than just a regular hospital birth. So this option should be widely available.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#14 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Not me - I don't want to go anywhere while in labor, and I want to be on my own turf. Actually, I would be very suspicious of anyone telling me I could have a "homebirth in the hospital" - it would sound like some kind of trick. I don't have the same rights in the hospital as I do at home, whatever the window dressing is like. I don't want someone to have the right to hold my baby hostage, if you know what I mean.
#15 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM

Well, considering it is still a hospital birth no matter what you call it. No. Homebirth = at home.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#16 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope. It's still not home, and it still requires a car ride during labor. I couldn't even sit still during contractions- I can't imagine what kind of shape I'd be in (begging for an epidural?) if I was forced to sit still in a moving vehicle through several contractions.

And, as others have stated, I wouldn't trust the hospital to be truly "homelike" no matter what they promise or who makes the promises. What hospital would let me labor and birth completely alone and then have somebody come in after the birth to help me clean up and hold the baby while I shower?

Don't get me wrong- I'm in favor of anything that makes natural birth more accessable for more women. But something like this could never replace homebirth.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#17 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:45 PM

I voted no simply because you could never make a hospital "home". I want to be in my own, familiar and comfortable space. I also don't want to go any where!
#18 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM

i voted "no."

i already don't want to leave my house at all (major nesting) -- much less so in labor. (and no matter what the hospital, once you are no longer on your own turf, you're no longer really in control.)
#19 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 01:10 PM

I voted "It depends" but I guess I really meant "No"

I'd have to ride in a car there in labor. That enough is deterrent to hospital birthing. Then the fact that no matter how homey hospital can be, they're not my home. I was way more comfortable laboring at home then somewhere else.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#20 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 01:22 PM

No - almost exclusively because I wouldn't want to ride in a car while in labor.

My first birth in hospital was pretty good, as far as hospital births go, I suppose, but I arrived before labor started. I don't see how a hospital can ever be non-intervention during or after the birth, the way home is.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#21 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 01:23 PM

My last baby was born after 2 hours of active (back) labor. If I had spent 30 minutes of that riding in the car to get to the hospital (there are hospitals closer, but I don't use them) I think I would have died.

And the whole infection thing... nope, I'll stay at home with our own germies.
#22 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 PM

No. Though I wish it were available for women who are more comfortable in a hospital or need to be in a hospital.

I would not because 1. drive, 2. I'm still not sick and 3. germ factor.

-Angela
#23 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 01:46 PM

I voted No, but I would still strongly support this being an option.

* Cannot comprehend actually getting in a car in the throes of labor. Ugh. I was in utter pain in the sitting position.

* Cannot comprehend a hosptial staff who "lets" you be in charge. Maybe it's theoretically possible and just my imagination is lacking, but there ya go. I birthed at home but admitted DD to the hospital at day 3 for severe jaundice, and we had NO control, and that experience haunts DH and I to this day.

* Hospital is so close that I can't think of hardly any situation where the few minutes we'd need to get there would be too late (cord compression being the only thing I can think of - and I'm not even actually complely certain that being in a hospital in the first place would improve that outcome, but it might).

* Germs. And also general ick factor. And also knowing all the chemicals they use - HAVE to use - to keep the place clean. My home has germs, but they're MY germs.

* Just not home. My bed. My towels. My food from my kitchen. No surprises.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#24 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 PM

After losing my daughter due to homebirth, I would love if the hospital had a homey atmosphere for me to give birth in.

Mommy to ds12, dd11, ds8, ds6, dd4, ^dd^ HB Loss, and dd 1
#25 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 PM

No. There's nothing I could do to a hospital that would make it as good as my home. But I do wish hospitals would start heading towards a homier, less terrifyingly clinical atmosphere for women who choose hospital birth.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#26 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM

I voted no for a few reasons. Mainly, that would require a total and fundamental change in the American field of obstetrics, and I don't believe that would happen completely.
Also, being on your turf at home makes labor a totally different experience. Not to mention the hospital germs.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#27 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Great responses ladies! I made this poll because in almost all cases, it seems like the only choices for women are a homebirth where you can do what you want, or a hospital birth where yuo can't do ANYTHING. There's no happy middle ground, and that sucks. I don't think it's fair that some women get stuck with a crappy hospital birth because they need to be in the hospital for complications, and I also don't think it's fair that some women feel they have to stay home to avoid the unnecessary interventions even though they don't feel 100% confident about it.

I suppose what I am proposing is a FSBC that isn't freestanding. I know it's impossible to achieve all the nice things about homebirth in a hospital simply because that's the nature of the beast, but wouldn't it be nice?
#28 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM

I think the midwifery model for maternity care is the goal that we should be reaching for. (or whatever it's called) Me, personally - wouldn't do it in a hospital unless medically necessary, but if it WERE necessary, I'd be depressed about it because of all the crap. I just don't trust the medical establishment. I wish it were possible for ALL women to have respectful births in a hospital setting - but we're a long way from that, i think, especially when you think about the extreme dichotomy between those of us who crave hb and those who fear it. Not much middle ground.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#29 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 03:25 PM

I voted It depends. The fact that hospitals aren't like this is why I became a believer in homebirth to begin with. But I can tell you that I totally dread a transfer or transport if I were to become high risk. If these options were available to me, I probably wouldn't fear it so much. But the hospitals here and the hospitals where my boys were born were so not like this at all.

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#30 of 148 Old 11-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If I had something going on in my pregnancy that I felt wasn't making me a good candidate for UC, I might choose this homebirth at the hospital option.
However, if I didn't feel comfortable UCing I'd probably be risked out of this birth center too.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page