Why am I baking my babies clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL, My instruction sheet from the midwife wants me to make up several paperbags of specific items and staple them closed and bake them (I think 200 degrees for 2 hours or so). Including the babies clothes, washcloths, and other stuff.

Its to sterilize it an kill the germs obviously but i've never heard it mentioned on here before and I've never baked my babies clothes before I brought them to the hospital, What day should they start wearing unsterilized clothes anyway? Im going to do it and have it all ready for her but I was wondering if this is standard or maybe its because she also has nursing in her background, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never heard of that. I was just told to wash the towels, dry them on hot, and then put in bags. Nothing about the clothes. I'd be afraid of buttons and zippers melting!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I'd be afraid of buttons and zippers melting!
I thought of that too. And I wanted the pics on the first day to be taken in a screen printed tee that said "I am special I was lovingly born at home" but I dont know about baking it- might mess it up the iron on.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 PM

1st off, your title made me

2nd off, I've heard of baking some of the more obvious "birth" items (sheets, towels, etc.) - but don't think I've heard about the babies clothes... I'm with you that I don't really see the point - no one who brings clothes to the hospital bakes them first, and at home you aren't even introducing new germs or anything... hmmm.

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

shanahan, where are you from, this would be a total coincidence but I live in Hanahan in S.C.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Maybe it's to warm them up? I never did this with any of my four home births.... If it's to warm them, popping them in the dryer for five minutes would do it.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM

Never heard of that. I wasn't even told to "bake" my birth supplies (towels, sheets, etc.). As long as they are clean, I was told they were fine & that I didn't even have to seperate them from normal house hold stuff...like the towels, I don't have to do anything special or put them anywhere special, just towels out of the stack of towels in my bathroom is fine once I go into labor.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I was told to do this with all my "birth supplies" just as an added precaution. This means the towels, receiving blankets, and "baby's first outfit"- not ALL the baby's clothes, just the stuff I was going to put on the baby in the first hour or so after birth- socks, undershirt, infant hats, and a "baby bag".

If you were having a hospital birth, the baby would wear a hospital undershirt, hat, and receiving blanket (plus disposable diaper) at first. By the time you'd put on the clothes you'd packed, the baby would be a day or two old.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

That is funny- especially as the stuff at the hospital is clean, but certainly not sterile. It's just washed with a ton of bleach I'm sure. Nothing special after that though- the blankets and little t-shirt just sit in the linen closet until they are used...

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

No its not for warming them because im supposed to basically do it now or "soon" and have it ready for the birth. Its for sterilizing.

I guess I was right to think it was unusual since nobody else has ever heard of it and ive never seen it mentioned on here before.

I dont have a problem with it just thought it was weird. Ill have to remember to get several paper bags from the grocery store and remembering very much is a task in itself as of lately.

Maybe my theory that its because the midwife is also a nurse in a hospital is correct and thats why she is so concerned about sterilization lol.

Its cool , thanks for your imput.......
Old 12-18-2008, 04:42 PM

I dunno - but when you autoclave supplies it has to go up to 260 to kill spore bacteria, so 200 isnt gonna do the trick.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
I dunno - but when you autoclave supplies it has to go up to 260 to kill spore bacteria, so 200 isnt gonna do the trick.
I just double checked the instructions sheet and it says 250 for 1 hour inside of a paperbag.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I've never heard of that, and even my 29 weeker preemie in the NICU didn't have sterilized clothes. They had donations given that got washed and put on the babies - no sterilization involved. When clothes were changed, I took the dirties home, washed them, and brought them back.

I can't imagine why a full term newborn would need sterilized clothing if even the smallest preemies don't get their clothes sterilized?

(and I didn't sterilize anything for my out-of-hospital birth... my birth kit had sterilized scissors and such, but table cloths came straight out of the package, towels and blankets and baby clothes were just plain washed)

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think I was told to do this with all my "birth supplies" just as an added precaution. This means the towels, receiving blankets, and "baby's first outfit"- not ALL the baby's clothes, just the stuff I was going to put on the baby in the first hour or so after birth- socks, undershirt, infant hats, and a "baby bag".

If you were having a hospital birth, the baby would wear a hospital undershirt, hat, and receiving blanket (plus disposable diaper) at first. By the time you'd put on the clothes you'd packed, the baby would be a day or two old.
Well, all my baby wore for the first few hours was a cloth diaper and a blanket! Most of the time he was naked (other than the dipe) on my chest with a blanket over both of us! So I guess I should have "baked" my body! LOL!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM

I have heard of someone else having to do that. My instructions say to wash items 2x and use a dryer, if available. I can't remember if it included baby's first outfit. I think it was just sheets and blankets.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM

I've had a hospital birth, a birth center birth, and a homebirth. Never baked any baby items at all. Washed and dried in the dryer - and called it good. I wouldn't bake.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM

That's a pretty old school way of thinking. I think that your child can handle the germs in your home and should be able to do so.

I would question their reasoning for it and probably not end up doing it. Then again I've had two homebirths and one hospital birth and never "baked" any clothes.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i had something like that on my list. wash in hot and dry to touch and dry 10 more min. (or something along that lines my ds is 2) fold and set aside with all the other birth stuff was not even told to put it in a bag or anything just have everything together. i dont think it is needed to bake them just make sure they are clean.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

I have never heard of that.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 PM

For my first homebirth the mw instructed us to prepare two bath towels, baby hat and swaddling blankets in tinfoil to be baked. When I started pushing she asked someone to start the oven and put them in and it was my grandmother's job to bring them up the minute the baby was born. So the blanket, towels and hat where very toasty.

We didn't do it with our second son.

I am curious what your mw will say when you ask. YOu are going to ask, right? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Something about the image of baking clothing in a paper bag is tickling my sense of humor quite a bit. I've been giggling the whole time I've read the thread.

I would be concerned about buttons melting, but more about the paper bag catching fire. I have never heard of baking clothing. Wash it twice and dry on hot and I call it good enough.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Very funny thought, baking clothes. I can't imagine doing it myself. 6 hbs and never baked clothes or towels or sheets.

I have heard of baking the hemostats and scissors etc as part of the sterilization process. But never heard of doing cloth items. I would be wary of anything with elastic in it. The heat would likely destroy it.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
I would be wary of anything with elastic in it. The heat would likely destroy it.
I thought of this too, and the fact that I wouldn't even know until too late if there was a problem since it says to staple the bag closed and then throw them in the oven.

Maybe ill ask, maybe ill just do it.

nobody thinks its a coincidence that the midwife is a nurse and maybe that is why she is still so worried about sterilization?

She actually gets on here too, and may be reading this LOL, Hi *B*, You know im just a curious little mind, Not making fun of you. Just had never heard of it before so thought I would bring it up...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 PM

My mw has me have a some clothes and receiving blankets wrapped in foil to "bake". They are, as she told me, to warm them up b/c babe is born in winter here in New England and if you have had a hospital birth warm clothes are put on a babe from a warmer/drawer in the birth room. Makes sense to me. Popping in the dryer would seem easy enough..but we're more organized, I feel, w/ them wrapped up and labeled w/a marker.

Plus i'm gbs+ and we both know that we have to keep babe extra warm.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM

my mw has asked me to "bake" the sheets that will be on the bed to sterilize them. she said i could just wash them with a little lysol in the washer and then dry them and put em in the dryer if i prefer.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamcgrady View Post
shanahan, where are you from, this would be a total coincidence but I live in Hanahan in S.C.
I always hear about that town!! My DH's last name is Hanahan - and apparently SC has the largest amount of "Hanahan's" in the country!!

(my login name is really more of a coincidence - my college nickname was Shanahan, after the hockey player - I just also happen to be a Shannon, married to a "Hanahan"!)

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 PM

i guess it could have something to do with her being a nurse. personally, i would like to see the blankets and hats at the hospital be sterilized, and am not at all worried about having a baby in my home and then just putting freshly aundered hats and blankets on him/her. i'm not worried about my gems in my house at my homebirth. it's the hospital's germs that scare me silly, esp. since i have no idea whose germs i'm in contact with.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've never baked my baby's clothes before.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM

wow, that IS very old school. When I first learned midwifery back in late 70s-early 80s, that's what I was taught to tell parents. Haven't done that in a very long time, tho!

I do think that it may well be a nurse being extra careful about germs....not needed in your own home, tho. Nor is the washing twice, high dryer, all that. I mean, clean, and set aside where it won't get messed up--maybe even packed in ziplocks or lidded bins, to keep out dust/animal hair. But you don't have to worry about the germs in your own home. Not even the sheets need to be sterile--now that seems funny to me. I'm trying to imagine all the times multiple people get up on the bed and off again (me, dad, mom, other kids, sometimes the cat....). Those sheets would not be sterile for long!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
My mw has me have a some clothes and receiving blankets wrapped in foil to "bake". They are, as she told me, to warm them up b/c babe is born in winter here in New England and if you have had a hospital birth warm clothes are put on a babe from a warmer/drawer in the birth room. Makes sense to me. Popping in the dryer would seem easy enough..but we're more organized, I feel, w/ them wrapped up and labeled w/a marker.

Plus i'm gbs+ and we both know that we have to keep babe extra warm.
We use a heating pad. We just put the clothes on top of that and cover with a towel. Works really well.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.

User Tag List