20/20 tonight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm pretty sure ABC is airing 20/20's extreme childbirth episode tonight, though I'm having trouble figuring out what the content is from ABC's website. I think this is the one with orgasmic birth and homebirth featured, but they seem to be only discussing surrogate motherhood on their website so I'm not sure. Just wanted to let you gals know!

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#2 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks! it's going into my DVR. DH will probably want to watch it too, so I hope it shows homebirth in a good light

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was wondering, since I knew ABC bumped this show a few weeks ago.
It figures it will be tonight. My in-laws are coming over right before the show and I'll be unable to watch any tv. :
I hope it winds up on youtube or something.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM

I have it ready to DVR as well. DH would never watch something like that with me. Hope it has some positive points in it!!

#5 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Thanks! I set my DVR.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#6 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 PM

They just posted a short video here - http://abcnews.go.com/2020 (click on “Giving birth like it’s 1799”). Not too bad. Usual comments from a doc, and a few comments from me and Ricki.
Laura
#7 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM

I received an email from a home birth support group saying:

Passed on from CIMS e-News:
“TONIGHT: Orgasmic Birth to be featured on ABC’s 20/20 “Orgasmic Birth” will be a featured segment on ABC’s “20/20″ tonight (Friday, Jan. 2) at 10:00 pm Eastern.

Filmmaker and former CIMS Leadership Team member Debra Pascali-Bonaro presents the ultimate challenge to our cultural myths by inviting viewers to see the emotional, spiritual, and physical heights attainable through unmedicated normal birth. In this revolutionary documentary, physiologic childbirth is revealed as an integral part of women’s sexuality and a neglected human right. Learn more about the segment on the ABC News Web site."

I also posted it on my blog site and will be watching to see what the show talks about.
#8 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Unpopular response coming here . . . : I did not like how the segment wrapped U/C together with CPM/CNM-attended home birth. I respect the reasons for women who choose U/C, but even U/C'ers can confirm that it is quite different from mw-attended births.

I also didn't like the imagery of the Old West cabin births. The home birth that I'm having with my m/w is far advanced from that. Contrary to the media implications, out-of-hospital midwifery is not some reactionary, anti-science practice; it has advanced to a high level of safety because of science.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#9 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Just a bit of encouragement, years ago I do not think they would have even touched this issue. It maybe portray parts of it negatively, but who knows, think of all the women out there who might have their interest piqued by this story
#10 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 PM

I believe there are several interesting segments tonight--orgasmic birth, extended (like, really extended) breastfeeding, and surrogacy (They have a lady who has done like 8 surrogate pregnancies).

YES, it is tonight--the website verifies http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.ph...=fTWpP&u=CCfUy

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#11 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Unpopular response coming here . . . : I did not like how the segment wrapped U/C together with CPM/CNM-attended home birth. I respect the reasons for women who choose U/C, but even U/C'ers can confirm that it is quite different from mw-attended births.

I also didn't like the imagery of the Old West cabin births. The home birth that I'm having with my m/w is far advanced from that. Contrary to the media implications, out-of-hospital midwifery is not some reactionary, anti-science practice; it has advanced to a high level of safety because of science.
Ooo I totally agree! Home birth can either be assisted or unassisted, there is a difference. They just wrap it all together to make it look dreadful and scary or they are just plan ignorant about the reality.

I commented on their site about how the two are not the same.
#12 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMomToBe View Post
Ooo I totally agree! Home birth can either be assisted or unassisted, there is a difference. They just wrap it all together to make it look dreadful and scary or they are just plan ignorant about the reality.
Yeah. My husband yelled at our internet browser when they got to the point where they said home births are not attended by professionals. I fully support unassisted birth and those who are educated enough to do it, but it isn't for everyone and isn't the same at all.

I can't wait for tonight's episode of 20/20 and hope they don't bump it AGAIN (I'm tired of setting up my Tivo to record it!) I'm also curious about how they'll approach the extended breastfeeding segment because those who choose to nurse for 6 years are not really typical cases.
#13 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
the segment wrapped U/C together with CPM/CNM-attended home birth.
I whole-heartedly agree with your post. and the simple fact that they DID lump MW-assisted HB in with UC tells me that they will NOT present a realistic, fair picture of HB. Big disappointment.

My DVR is set- I'm still going to hold out hope that they'll mention 2 key things that, IMO, show, without doubt how stupid the AMA anti-HB stance is:
1. About one-third of all births in the Netherlands are HBs & it's been so for years (used to be even more, I think)
2. The UK is actually currently trying to recruit more HB MWs so the option of HB is available to any woman who wants it (well, low-risk women, I'm sure.)

But... I also agree that even if it's all woo-hoo-pro-ACOG , at least it'll draw attention to it & pique interest.

ETA: the article states, "Mothers-to-Be Saying No to Modern Medicine" :
HB MWs have plenty of "modern medicine" with them!!!! It is not an outright rejection of modern medicine, and to protray it as such is inaccurate & even misleading.
#14 of 38 Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
I whole-heartedly agree with your post. and the simple fact that they DID lump MW-assisted HB in with UC tells me that they will NOT present a realistic, fair picture of HB. Big disappointment.

ETA: the article states, "Mothers-to-Be Saying No to Modern Medicine"
HB MWs have plenty of "modern medicine" with them!!!!
Yep. I just said something along those lines to my husband. :

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#15 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 AM

Just watched it and I really enjoyed it and I was really happy that my hubby watched it with me b/c he is less than thrilled w/ my newfound desire for a natural birth.
They did focus mostly on the orgasmic birth aspect- and it was a very short piece, but I think that everything was given in a positive light.
I guess it all depends on how you look at it though.

It pumped me up for labor!
#16 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 AM

As far as I know, there are two separate segments - one on orgasmic birth and one on homebirth. If you saw me and Ricki Lake, then perhaps it's the same segment. It won't air where I am for another half hour. Anxiously waiting....
Laura
#17 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 12:44 AM

I was actually rather impressed! DH and I were all prepared to get angry and irritated at the way home birth was portrayed, but they really did a pretty good job.
They took home birth seriously, as a real option. And the people they interviewed were well spoken, well educated, and well put together. They did not seem like back woods hill billies, and the women who said they had orgasmic births were not painted in a negative or crazy light.
There were even several statements about how fear and expectations are what make birth painful, not necessarily the birth process itself.
I think they did a pretty good job of presenting this as just what it is - another option.

Even the extended breastfeeding wasn't too terrible. Maybe less favorable than the home birth segment, but not awful. Hopefully this will pique interest in those who didn't know there were other options out there. I know I used to be one of those!

***Edit***
I just read the pp right before seeing what is coming up next - the home birth segment. Evidently, the first one was just orgasmic birth. We'll see what they say in the next segment.....
***End Edit***

Proud Army wife and Momma of two.
Jay-my precious boy 2/20/08 & Caroline-my beautiful HBAC baby 8/22/09 :
#18 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 AM

i thought the bf segment was okay, and the homebirth part wasn't *too* bad.

seeing ricki lake reminds me i wanna watch the business of being born again, lol

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#19 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 AM

You were great, Laura! :
#20 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 AM

Just finished watching - I thought the homebirth segment was weak. It failed to address WHY homebirth can me safER than hospital birth - Rikki Lake mentions it (she says something like "I decided it was the safer option for me and my baby) but they don't show any explanation. Nor is there any distinction drawn between assisted homebirth and unassisted birth.

The other part I really paid attention to was the EBF segment - I thought it was pretty balanced.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#21 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:01 AM

I just watched it. Meh... I too did not like how they combined the discussion of unassisted home birth with assisted home birth. Some one with no knowledge of the issue could watch that clip and think all homebirthers give birth without any professional assistance and that is just not true.

I wish they would have also at least mentioned the literature that states that home birth is as safe if not safer than hospital births for low risk pregnancies. The outcomes for babies is not significantly different for home birth vs. hospital birth.

And they misunderstand the outcome of Abby Epstein's birth in BOBB--her birth is evidence SUPPORTING the safety of home birth not against it. She and her professional midwife decided that medical intervention was needed in her case and safely got her there to receive it. Baby and mother are doing well. How would the outcome have been any different if she had chosen hospital birth from the beginning??

Kylix
#22 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 AM

I would have liked to hear what Abbie Epstein was in the middle of saying when they did a quick clip edit to someone else.
#23 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream Hippie View Post
I would have liked to hear what Abbie Epstein was in the middle of saying when they did a quick clip edit to someone else.
Too bad we can't see the unedited interviews eh? I think it would have been really interesting. Maybe we should petition ABC to post them on their website.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#24 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM

I thought the orgasmic birth section was great...

Then they cut to the "real born babies" and definitely portrayed the women who "mother" them as a bit crazy.

Then they did the segment on eb...and called it the "Feeding Frenzy" so you know the spin on that one...

Then the section on home birth and I agree they didn't differentiate too well and the wild west cabin/fontier spin was annoying.

Then the surrogate section...which I feel might have been the only section they didn't put too big of a "negative" spin on with the little underhanded statements they threw in in all the other sections.

Maybe I'm just defensive...but it did seem like there was a "crazy" spin on "What these extreme moms" are up to.

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
#25 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 AM

My dh and I just watched it. I must say that I was disappointed. The Orgasmic Birth piece was alright as was the HB piece (WTG, Laura!!) but the fact that they included the ridiculous baby doll story as well as the surrogacy story kind of suggests to me that the issues won't be taken seriously...like women who HB and EBF are somehow out-there and on the fringe. :

For someone who has had 5 babies at home nursed them until they had teeth and could ask for it using a complete sentence, I am a surprisingly normal person!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#26 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 AM

Thanks, Ashley and ap mom! I was pleased with it! Of course, I would have loved if they had included all the stuff I said about the dangers of hospitals, but as usual that ended up on the cutting room floor. And I suspect that Ricki and Abby (and many others) will NOT be happy that they didn't seem to make a distinction between homebirth with midwives and UC. But some truth DID get through! And I loved the orgasmic birth segment!!
Laura
#27 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 04:28 AM

Oh, I especially loved how they implied/stated that moms who homebirth are selfish. I was practically yelling obscenities at the screen. How in the world could writhing around in excruciating pain while vaginally delivering an 11.2 pound 23.25 inch baby at home while tearing 2/3 degree be considered selfish?!?!?!?! YAH RIGHT!!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#28 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Yes to everything you said. I told dh that I would have liked to see them distinguish between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynGi View Post
Yeah. My husband yelled at our internet browser when they got to the point where they said home births are not attended by professionals. I fully support unassisted birth and those who are educated enough to do it, but it isn't for everyone and isn't the same at all.

I can't wait for tonight's episode of 20/20 and hope they don't bump it AGAIN (I'm tired of setting up my Tivo to record it!) I'm also curious about how they'll approach the extended breastfeeding segment because those who choose to nurse for 6 years are not really typical cases.
They did mention in the bf segment that the world wide weaning average is 4 years. I liked that. But that male psychologist irked me.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylix View Post

And they misunderstand the outcome of Abby Epstein's birth in BOBB--her birth is evidence SUPPORTING the safety of home birth not against it. She and her professional midwife decided that medical intervention was needed in her case and safely got her there to receive it. Baby and mother are doing well. How would the outcome have been any different if she had chosen hospital birth from the beginning??

Kylix
I agree about Abby wholeheartedly. I think they misinterpreted her outcome as well. I was a transfer with my first and I believe it proved the safety of homebirth. I got help when I needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy Kahdib View Post
I thought the orgasmic birth section was great...

Then they cut to the "real born babies" and definitely portrayed the women who "mother" them as a bit crazy.

Then they did the segment on eb...and called it the "Feeding Frenzy" so you know the spin on that one...

Then the section on home birth and I agree they didn't differentiate too well and the wild west cabin/fontier spin was annoying.

Then the surrogate section...which I feel might have been the only section they didn't put too big of a "negative" spin on with the little underhanded statements they threw in in all the other sections.

Maybe I'm just defensive...but it did seem like there was a "crazy" spin on "What these extreme moms" are up to.

Totally. Didn't they preview the segment with something to the effect labeling all the segments as extreme parenting ? Which is also ridiculous to me because carrying around a doll is not parenting That segment was disturbing to me.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#29 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I really didn't like how they mixed UC and homebirth in the same segment, although they were both made to seem like valid (not crazy) choices overall. But the reasons behind those choices in each woman's circumstance weren't discussed well enough. They hardly mentioned midwifery, or why OB care isn't doesn't work for some women. I was amazed at how well the orgasmic birth segment was presented and edited, but how badly the homebirth segment was edited. Were they even trying to present information to anyone? But then again, at least they didn't have some stern male OB shaking his finger at us.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#30 of 38 Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bens_mommy_2005 View Post
I was practically yelling obscenities at the screen.
I was in fact yelling obscenities!

Just putting the Orgasmic Birth, EBF, and HB segments in with the "dolls" and a horrible piece on surrogacy ruined anything positive they might have put out there.

Dolls? for real? That is similar to choosing to give your child the best food/comfort possible for as long as possible?

And "Pregnant for Profit"? Oh, this one really irked me. As someone who lived the AGONY of infertility - these women are saints and organ donors to me (they kind of donate their uterus for a time). And they act like they do it for attention! As someone who went through IVF it is NOT for the faint of heart and it isn't work $20k - it is painful, time consuming, and dangerous! Women to do surrogacy for charitable reasons not a get rich quick scheme. :

The EBF mothers were very intelligent but their "expert" was a quack and I think it would have been easy for 20/20 to present a balancing expert that supports extended BF.

Homebirths selfish? ^#@(*&&^R@$!!!!!

Overall I was disappointed at how "tabloid" and "look at the freak show" it was!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page