Insurance and homebirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pretty lost lol.

I am currently at the same practice (hospital) that I had DS, DH still needs some convincing for homebirth, I think a lot of it has to do with money...the rest with safety and mess lol. I'm fine there, my birth went fine with DS...but, my labor was REALLY LONG and I think ultimately I would have been more comfortable at home, I've also witnessed 8 homebirths between siblings and friends, and the only hospital birth I've seen is mine and my son's lol...so, homebirth is really what I feel comfortable and accustomed to.

On to my question...how does it work with insurance etc? I have a relatively obscure one, and I feel pretty certain that any midwife I choose will be out of network, and DH will never agree to the extra cost with that. Does it make a difference (with insurance) if I use a DEM/CPM vs CNM? I do have the option of either in my area--but have a CPM about 15mins away which would be great! (also, I felt pretty taken back by the contact I've had thus far with the CNM--I'm not sure it's the best fit personality wise).

I'm also curious about he legal aspects...I live in MD, very close to PA, WV and VA.
#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It really depends on your insurance. My insurance covers 100%, but by law they have to cover liscenced midwives in my state. It does vary state to state. Best thing to do is see if you can find anyone who has homebirthed who has your insurance and see how they handled it. You can also ask prospective midwives if they've dealt with your insurance and you can try to call and talk to your insurance, but that's usually not so helpful.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 5 Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM

A lot of what the insurance will cover depends on if you word it correctly. My midwife was telling me that if you say "midwife attended homebirth" you're on your own, but if you say "home birth attended by a midwife certified to practice in the state" they'll cover it. Call around.

Also, we have to pay our midwife directly by the time of the birth, but then she bills the insurance company and they reimburse us. Crazy, eh?

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
#4 of 5 Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM

Our insurance would have covered part of it as an out of network cost, but unfortunately, it doesn't matter because our deductible is massive - higher than the cost of the midwife! <sigh> So, it's all out-of-pocket for us.

DD2 was covered pretty well, too - i think we had Humana then, but that's who we have now, so I must be wrong.
**ETA: Insurance with first baby was United.

Best advice I have is to get on the phone. Our MW has a person who deals with insurance on her behalf - that's helpful.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#5 of 5 Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM

BCBS of TX reluctantly agreed to cover my HB. They did insist that I not use a DEM. "How do we know this isn't your sister/mother/cousin?" I guess I can see their point. I selected a CPM.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page