Past Due - And Not Inducing ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I'd start a thread to boost my/your confidence in yourself when you go "past due". I'm currently 42w3d or maybe even more, depending on how you calculate the EDD. I'm 1000% positive of my dates. MW isn't worried. I'm not worried. BUT, I'M BORED BORED BORED BORED. And that's affecting my demeanor now. I reached the point of being "done" finally about 5 days ago.

I attempted to induce DD2 with EPO, sex, etc. I freaked out at 42w3d and had a BPP, which was perfect, if overly inaccurate on weight and due date. But I did cohosh one day, and she was born at 42w5d. Perfect. Well, this time, I've avoided all internal exams, and haven't done any EPO - and have not really decided about cohosh yet. I'm done having sex - I nearly fell off the bed yesterday. : I did an NST on Friday, which looks great - thinking about another today - torn on the BPP because I was so disgusted by the information 5 years ago. I'm ok with just waiting it out now, I **think**.

I told my parents after dinner last night that it was the LAST night I'd go to bed pregnant. Everyone laughed. Laugh is on me now ... still pregnant.

Anyway, I want to share this story that came out a dinner last night: my mom swears that I was 3.5 weeks late. I've known this story for a long time, but I took it with a grain of salt because I was born 42 years ago, and how **sure** is she of her dates?? Also, she could easily have done a little fudging because my parents weren't married at the time ... Anyway, I smile and nod when she tells me her story.

Sooooo, tonight, she brings it up again. My dad wonders how late I am now - 16 days or so. Then he visibly starts to freak out when he calculates how much longer 21+ days would take ... they *were* planning to go home on Monday, but I can't imagine they really will now.

Anyway ... my 40yo brother, who has no kids and has maybe 2 friends who have kids brings up his theory that I must just not know "how" to induce a baby to come out. All of his knowledge is from the show Friends. He questioned me again "am I really doing **everything** I could?" YES, we are doing everything ... YES, *that*, too.

Then, I said - well, there is one thing we haven't done - castor oil. And I won't do it. My mom heard me mention castor oil, and she jumped into the conversation - DON'T DO IT! i promised her that I have no intention of doing it. She tried it with me!!! And it didn't do anything but make her miserable! My brother asked "it would make you throw up, right?" My mom, DH, and I all laughed.

at this point, all we can do is wait.
take care everyone!
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#2 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Hang in there! A vote of confidence from a mama of a 43week 5day baby.

They come when ready.

I worked to kick ds out- EPO etc (cohoshes tried one week before with NO results)

He came out (IMO) underdone. TONS of vernix (GOBS) and showed lots of early-baby signs IMO (trouble holding temp etc)

Yeah. I'm sure of my dates too. If it wasn't then... it wasn't

They are smarter than we are- they come when ready.

-Angela
#3 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Someone told me about taking a hot shower, then rubbing it on your belly and placing a hot towel on your belly.. That way it won't make you sick from either end..

You are VERY strong. I'm 41w and I'm going insane but not enough to try anything like that.. We have only been having sex and I had my membranes stripped once. I keep telling myself when the apple is ripe it will fall.. It's just getting harder every day to keep myself sane!

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#4 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Your doing great and your right babe will come when ready. I have to admit to stalking you to see if the baby is here yet!

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

#5 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iana703 View Post
Your doing great and your right babe will come when ready. I have to admit to stalking you to see if the baby is here yet!
See Janis, I'm not the only one stalking you. lol

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#6 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM

Another vote of confidence here! My 1st was a 43 weeker - they come when they're ready.

Looking forward to hearing your LO is here - I bet it won't be long!
#7 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM

I did the caster oil on the tummy with hot towel didnt work but it sure felt nice

:

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Janis, that's what you get for asking for all those "stay put, baby" vibes!

My mom went 43-44 weeks with three of her four. She was "forced" into an induction with her youngest, my little brother, by the military and my dad. He was covered in vernix and her second smallest baby- a good two pounds lighter than the one before. He was induced at 42 weeks.

I would definitely skip the castor oil. Hang in there!
#9 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstream Hippie View Post
Janis, that's what you get for asking for all those "stay put, baby" vibes!
no fair to throw that in my face now.

I just got home from a massage *and* a nap. I feel great! Sitting on a ball, hoping the baby will fall out or something now ....

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#10 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM

My mom was 3 weeks late with me and all my kids have been 42+ weeks too. I really think it can be genetic. I just love how people think you can't possibly know when you conceived. I would really hate to get into the details of how I know

I stopped doing anything to make my babies come out too. It just doesn't work and when it does you wish it hadn't. Castor oil specifically, I will never ever do that again. I had cramps and diarrhea for days after birth, real nice when you are trying to recover! Not to mention I was so dehydrated I couldn't sit up. Yea, it wasn't pretty. Don't do it!

I want a nap...and a massage! Do I have to wait till I am 42 weeks? It sounds lovely. See, you get to pamper yourself cause you are so late. Me? I sit here with my pelvis aching and no one to as much as rub my feet! Ugh.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#11 of 70 Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 PM

I went into labor with my daughter after some really amazing leg and foot massage- good luck!
#12 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Hoping labor starts tonight.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#13 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 01:13 AM

I've decided that you are the proverbial "watched pot" and so long as everyone is watching, you won't boil.

Send everyone home, lock the doors, turn off the phone and relax. Perhaps that is all it will take.

#14 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Some babes just need longer to "cook". Dh's brother was 3 weeks late! Back then they didn't induce!

Good luck, and I hope your LO comes soon.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#15 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

My mom went 5 weeks over with me and 4 weeks with my bro. 2 days before I was due I had my membranes stripped. I went into labor and it was very unproductive. I ended up transferring and having pit, epidural. Never again. She wasn't tiny or anything and had a little vernix on her, but she wasn't quite ready.

This one stays as long as it needs
#16 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

baby still in utero.

I'm gettin' grouchy.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#17 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM

:

Any time now!

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#18 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 PM

My last baby was a 42week5day baby. My other labors had been 20-36 hours and hers was only 3. She came out as a perfect, round 10lb baby. Trust in your body mama.
#19 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
wbg

Cant wait to read your birth story! good for you for waiting so patiently. Hang in there brave super mama! you can do it! I would love to hear stories of woman whose babies made them wait...do they still keep people waiting as adults!?! hee hee

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#20 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM

I like your "hardeharhar" in your siggie.

You're doing great, mama. Wishing you a beautiful birth. Whenever.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#21 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM

I know what it feels like - my DD came at 43 +1 weeks. Those last few weeks were so hard. I remember watching a nature program with DH a couple of days before she came and crying and yelling at the TV "See, even the polar bears and the lions and everyone have their babies - why can't I have mine!!"

My mom went to 42 weeks with both my brother and I, and apparently my gran went to 46 !! weeks. She was very sure of her dates too. So it looks like it just runs in the family.

I hope you're holding your baby in your arms soon. And remember, no one stays pregnant forever (even though sometimes it feels like you might!)

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#22 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 PM

You're doing great! I will be watching here for updates!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#23 of 70 Old 01-05-2009, 09:48 PM

My babies keep cooking longer with each pregnancy, so I'm loathe to have #5, I'd probably go to 44w.

I went to 41 with #4 (which doesn't sound like much compared to others) and my bff went to 43w with her second.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#24 of 70 Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

nope, nada, nothin', zilch

a LOT of frustration this morning, though.

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#25 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

well, i'm now 42w6d, and I'm officially emotionally wiped out. I think i'm losing the mucous plug. I had BPP last night, slightly low fluid, but otherwise the baby looks great. I had NST monitor last night and this morning, and baby looks great - except one huge decel that really scared us all. But that was while lying on my back, and I felt what "may" have been a contraction. Then I lay on my side for half hour, with no more decels. And nothing today. Mw will come back again this evening. We have another BPP scheduled for tomorrow morning at 7. Then, she did an exam because i had some discolored discharge last night. Soft and the cervix is in the right place, but not more than 1cm. I know that means nothing. I wasn't even going to have an exam, but I'll do anything to avoid the hospital now.

We talked and talked and talked about what to do, and of course, it made me cry. I don't want a hospital birth. I want my home, my peace, my children, my bathtub. I don't want pitocin, interventions, monitoring, or to have a baby on a bed in bright lights. I don't want to be in a car during labor. I don't want to have to take antibiotics (gbs+) or have separation from my baby. But, I want a healthy baby more than anything in the world. An emergency transfer would be worse than just "going".

But, for right now, I'm not going.
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#26 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM

You are doing great. Baby is doing great. All will be well. :

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#27 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Hoping your labor begins today!

#28 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Hang in there mama!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#29 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Everything sounds good. You can do it!
#30 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM

I'm sorry Janis. I don't even know how far over I am now as my midwife keeps poring over my chart and wanting to "adjust" my date some more. I am nearly positive of when we DTD...(hello, I have kids 18 months apart, it's not as though there's that much action around here!) but, baby is healthy, I am healthy, pregnancy is healthy and that is what I am trying to meditate on. To me it doesn't make sense to take healthy to the hospital but I know the doubt that comes with creeping up on certain dates.

Do you have a certain cutoff where you have to go to the hospital? do you have options other than the pitocin? Have you talked to your m/w about the real risks of your labor right now? I know it helped me to hash out what exactly the problems of a 42+w birth are and realize why certain things happen and how they would be handled. I feel a lot more relaxed about waiting now (though don't ask me in a week because I'm not sure I'll be here!! you are a rock star)

Your body is making changes, no, they're not big massive flashing "LABOR" signs but it is working in the right direction. Maybe your body is just easing into this labor slowly, just like the pregnancy has taken its sweet time.

Third babies are a trip, aren't they???

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page