Does anyone know these Houston midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies! My name is Emily, and I live in the Houston Texas area. My husband and I are going to start TTC in April, and right now, I am trying to do all of the planning that I can beforehand. I am adamant about a homebirth, but our insurance only has two midwives that are in network. Our out of network deductible is $5000, so if we go with someone else, we will be paying out of pocket. The midwives are PATRICIA NAMI and ANN JACOB both out of New Caney (which is ok since I live on N 59). Has anyone heard anything about either of them? Do they do homebirth? I appreciate it ladies!

Mommy to sweet baby Rhys born 7/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 PM

I am familiar with all of the homebirth midwives in the New Caney area and I am not familiar with either of these ladies. I did a quick google search and it appears that they are both affiliated with the UTMB clinic in New Caney, which will not allow homebirths.

If you want a homebirth, you may have to go out of network. Very few homebirth midwives are listed as preferred providers. There are some really good midwives that will work with you on payment.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that would be the case. I have set up interviews with Paula Davis and Kellie Moeller for this next week. I am going to try to find a midwife before we get pregnant, because I just don't want the stress once we get preggo.

Mommy to sweet baby Rhys born 7/15
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 PM

I saw you contacted Kellie and I just would like to put in a plug for Pat Jones. Kellie works with Pat. I live in Utah right now(from Houston) and almost planned to have a birth in Houston just so I could use Pat.

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opera mom View Post
I saw you contacted Kellie and I just would like to put in a plug for Pat Jones. Kellie works with Pat. I live in Utah right now(from Houston) and almost planned to have a birth in Houston just so I could use Pat.
I heard Pat is retired now
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paula Davis would be more convenient as far as driving for appointments...I'm not sure I would pick Kellie considering the mess of traffic on 59S past downtown. I also live on 59N (Kingwood) and used to work down in the Galleria- it was a nightmare, traffic-wise, so consider that in your choice. There's also Chris Duffy on our side of town. She's in Spring...very do-able from 59N, just jump on the beltway- it would only take me 20 min. to get to her.

FWIW, I spoke to both Paula Davis and Chris Duffy and they both seem VERY good. Both had great reviews, styles are similar, and are very close in price. HTH!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 PM

Kellie is no longer working out of A Woman's Work, so that traffic isn't an issue. She does live in League City, but she had no problems with coming to my home in Cypress for our waterbirth.

Pat isn't quite retired. She still takes clients, just not as many.

I had Kellie for my home water birth and really liked her, Emily. Best of luck for finding a midwife who is the right fit for you guys!

ETA: My son(s) and I are on her front page.
http://www.homebirthexperience.com/

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 AM

I live off of 59N and have used Chris Duffy for 3 of my 4 births and she is awesome. PM me if you want more information.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM

I really like Nanci Stanley for a midwife. She is super knowledgeable and one of the kindest people you'll ever meet.  

I think her website is http://www.houstonmidwife.net 

She is in the Cypress area.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Chris Duffy was my midwife and I loved the experience.  She brings such a great calm to the process and her extensive knowledge and experience was a great comfort.  I'm actually expecting my second now and will have Chris by my side again.  Her website is www.myhealthfreedom.com.  Her apprentices are awesome too!

User Tag List