Am I too 'old' for a homebirth? - Mothering Forums
Homebirth > Am I too 'old' for a homebirth?
lulu1213's Avatar lulu1213 01:07 PM 03-02-2009
I am 38 years old, DH is 40. we're not pregnant yet, that I know of, but have been trying for 2+ years. We're currently doing IVF. I have normal cycles and a decent ovarian reserve, but my tubes are blocked. I also have endometriosis, and have had two laproscopies for that plus a hystereoscopy for uterine polyps. The theoretical pregnancy in question would be my first.

Given that I do eventually get pregnant, would any of the above factors disqualify me from a homebirth? It's my dream, after all that we've gone through, that I might be able to just have a healthy, natural, non-medicated pregnancy and birth at home.

Just to mention - I am very healthy and active, physically fit and no other health issues besides the endo.

Thanks for any input.

Skywise's Avatar Skywise 01:35 PM 03-02-2009
If I were you, I would contact some hb midwives and discuss it with them. I know that my hb midwife doesn't mind talking to women who aren't pregnant yet. It gives her more time to get to know the person before pregnancy.
femalephish's Avatar femalephish 02:39 PM 03-02-2009
My MW's website says specificallly that 'age is generally not a factor". I am not sure about IVF complications, though. I emailed my MW before I was pregnant to ask them about some health issues that I have- so go ahead and ask! Good Luck!
SublimeBirthGirl's Avatar SublimeBirthGirl 06:39 PM 03-02-2009
I have a friend who had a home birth with her first at age 37, then a UC with her 2nd at age 38. I would be more likely to avoid the hospital if I were "advanced maternal age" because even if you're very healthy, they treat you like you're high risk.
HippieWannaBe's Avatar HippieWannaBe 07:13 PM 03-02-2009
I had my son last year at 36 and if we have a second, it will also be a home birth. I had endo and laproscopy also.
sweeetpea's Avatar sweeetpea 10:52 PM 03-02-2009
I know many of our local midwives have primip clients over 40. Health is a much more important factor than age.
AnnR33's Avatar AnnR33 09:15 PM 03-03-2009
I'm having a homebirth and I'm 40. Age was a never a factor, not even mentioned when I was "shopping around" for a mw.
My mw said she recently had quite a few moms over 40 give birth at home. Age shouldn't be an issue, the health of you and your baby should be the main issues.
langdonslady's Avatar langdonslady 09:34 PM 03-03-2009
I don't see how your age changes anything.
I was over 35 with my Home VBAC, and pushed out a 10 lb baby. I had a few health issues such as hypothyroid that were well-managed, and I ate SUPREMELY healthfully and exercised well, and was in great shape. The HBAC went wonderfully, despite "multiple risk factors" that an OB would have run screaming from. Oh, and I went past 40 weeks. Big deal.

I would suggest you ask the ladies at www.ican-online.org because there are docs, lawyers, statisticians, nurses, and "women of advanced age" such as ourselves (LOL) who have had homebirths and VBACs and home VBACs, and can tell you the good, the bad, the ugly, and the skinny.

Hope to see you there! And no, simply being older does not make you an obstetrical emergency waiting to happen.
Sheesh, my grandmother was 38 when she had my mother, her only child, back in 1946, and everyone was waiting to see if my mother would be an idiot, or a savant, or both. She was just normal, to their disappointment or relief depending.
aylaanne's Avatar aylaanne 09:36 PM 03-03-2009
For me, your age wouldn't be as much of a factor as your other conditions. If you do work towards a homebirth, I would also do concurrant care with an OB. IVF by itself greatly increases your risk of complications, IIRC, way more than your age does.

I agree with the PPs that you should consult with area HBMWs and do some pre-pregnancy consultations. You never know until you talk with the actual professionals you'll be working with.
tamagotchi's Avatar tamagotchi 09:42 PM 03-03-2009
My first birth, at age 39, and second birth, at age 42, were both homebirths.
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 09:42 PM 03-03-2009
If you're young enough to get pregnant, you're young enough to have a home birth.

Now, you may or may not have medical complications (related to the cause of infertility, to the IVF itself, or completely separate) that may risk you out of home birth. That's a possibility at any age. But age itself isn't a reason to birth in a hospital.
lulu1213's Avatar lulu1213 05:18 AM 03-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
For me, your age wouldn't be as much of a factor as your other conditions. If you do work towards a homebirth, I would also do concurrant care with an OB. IVF by itself greatly increases your risk of complications, IIRC, way more than your age does.

I agree with the PPs that you should consult with area HBMWs and do some pre-pregnancy consultations. You never know until you talk with the actual professionals you'll be working with.
would you mind elaborating on this a bit? it's true, i was concerned about my age, not knowing whether a HBMW would consider that a risk, but was also wondering if any of the endo, previous surgeries, or IVF would be a considered a risk factor...
what about IVF increases the risk of complications? i hadn't heard that before- but just did a quick google and saw an increase of placenta previa. what other kinds of complications? (no worries about multiple births, at least if i get pregnant on this IVF cycle. i had one blastocyst implanted 5DPO - apart from identical twins, which would REALLY surpise me.)

aylaanne, i was wondering, are you a midwife? it seemed that you were speaking more from a professional standpoint than a personal one...
what is IIRC? why do you think i should do concurrent care with an OB? thank you for your help.

i'm hesitant to talk right away with the HBMW in my area because there is ONE. i won't be shopping around, i've got one shot at this and i wanted to know what i might expect ahead of time, just to be better prepared. for example, if you tell me that IVF makes me high risk, i'll be able to talk about how i'm going to do concurrent care with an OB, etc.

thanks to everyone for your responses! it's helping me a great deal.
Up