Bath Tub vs. "Birth" Tub - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I just put a deposit down on an aquadoula birth tub for my HB in June...I do have a bathtub that is standard size and fairly deep (about the depth of a claw foot tub) and as I was soaking in it last night I asked myself "do I really NEED to spend $250 on a birth tub rental?!".... that is the first issue and the second issue is that I live in an apartment and my nesting brain no longer wants a big tub "in the way." I just started having these feelings and if I am going to cancel I better do it now so I can get my deposit back... so that said, what are your experiences laobring in a standard bath tub versus something like an aquadoula? I don't plan to have the baby IN the water, I just want to use the water to help with labor pain...for those who used your bathtub, do you wish you had a birth tub? And for those that used birth tubs, would it have been equally fine to just use your bath tub? Thanks!
#2 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 PM

I think its really important to have a tub that is deep enough for you to be submerged from the belly down. This helps with pain, big time! Although you could birth in your bathtub, you wouldnt have much room to move around, you'd probably be stuck in one or 2 positions. I thought it was great that I could move around and lean over the edge, etc.
I didnt want to pay the 250 for the aqua doula rental, so I bought a La Bassine and liner. I spent less than 160 for the air pump, hoses, fixtures, liner and pool itself, and now I own it. You can find them Here They are big, but take up very little space, they have handles inside and they are very sturdy.

Oh, and as far as a tub being in the way, it took us less than 5 min to fill it up with air, and it got filled with water relatively quickly.

I definitely would not have been fine in a bathtub.

Oh and as far as having the baby in the tub vs laboring in the tub, I have rarely seen this...mostly Its VERY hard to convince mom to get out, even to PEE. I myself imagigined getting out to push but when the time came I wanted to be IN THAT TUB.

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#3 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
acp

Well, I can't comment on what it's like, since I haven't done it yet, but I decided against renting a tub for some of the same reasons (expense + apartment living - for me it's both the space and the logistics, since we're on the top floor of a fourth floor walkup and i really didn't want to deal with filling/draining).
I'm planning on laboring in the tub, probably not birthing in it (which is what I did last time - hospital I was at had a labor tub but didn't allow water births). My bath tub IS larger/deeper than normal, and I'm not sure if I'd feel differently if I had a standard-size one, but I think my tub will be perfectly fine for laboring in. My midwife was here last week and she agreed - thought it was ideal. She also thought I could, if I wanted to, birth in it, though she has a bias against water births (one reason I'm not planning on one).

I do know that with my last birth I labored in the tub for HOURS, and it was one of the only things that helped with severe back labor pain. Maybe the next time you take a bath, see how much of your belly it covers, and how comfortable you are, and try to imagine spending several hours in there and laboring in there and getting into different positions and see whether you think it will work.
#4 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 PM

I just used my bath tub, but I had a very big garden tub. I had a fishy pool on standby, but I didn't use it. For $20 it was worth it, and it was just in the box under my sink with the pump, so out of sight. I don't think a regular bath tub would be sufficient, water over my belly was what made it feel better.
#5 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM

We're doing a kiddie pool deep enough to cover the baby bump and one I can move in. They make blow up ones big enough... They are cheaper than 250. Just another option.
#6 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM

No way I'd have been comfortable in a bath tub unless it was outdoor-hot tub-sized. I used a $25 blow up pool and it was great.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#7 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Although we had a fishy pool on hand I just stayed in the tub for the last couple hours of labor. Actually, I wasn't submerged. I had back labor with ds so I just had the shower on my back the whole time. Whenever I would try to submerge myself in the tub it didn't help as much as the shower. I think when I have another homebirth that I'll just forgo the birth tub and stick with the bathtub.
#8 of 18 Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 PM

We had a malfunction while filling up the fishy pool for my second birth. So instead, I labored in my garden tub for hours and while it was nice and deep with plenty of room to change positions, I found that the position I really wanted was on my knees. And the hard bottom of the tub hurt my knees and the tops of my feet after a while. The only real advantage over the blow-up fishy pool I had for my first birth was that the bathtub had nice massaging jets for my back.

I am getting a blow-up pool again this time (just a cheap one again). I'd only labor in a bathtub if there was something cushy to put on the bottom- I don't know what that would be, but maybe someone else has a suggestion?

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#9 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 AM

You didn't say how far along you are... "fairly deep" now may be "not so deep" at 40 weeks. For myself, our bathtub is not deep enough to cover both my belly and my back now, much less at 40 weeks. Not to mention the fact that if I were to get in it, my DH wouldn't be able to give me any sort of physical support at all because of the way it's built in. Our tub also isn't insulated, so the water would turn cold pretty quickly. And it isn't wide enough for me to squat or kneel in. All of these things add up to the fact that it's just not going to be suitable for labor for me.

But, if we had a bathtub the size of the one I grew up with, I wouldn't bother with a birthtub. That one was big enough to hold 2 large adults with room left over for some hanky panky. As a kid I could literally swim in that thing.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 AM

With the bathtub I currently have, my concern would be that I would start to feel claustrophobic. I feel fine in it now, and if I lay on my side, my belly and back are almost all covered. But I wouldn't want to be in labor, be expecting for that to be a good source of pain relief and then feel squished in there.

Sounds like a good compromise would be to buy a fishy pool. Cheaper, obviously, and then you at least have the option if you decide in labor that the bathtub just isn't cutting it.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#11 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 AM

I passed on the aquadoula first time around and that was a big mistake for me. We have a shallow tub, but none the less you really can't move around in a tub. My labor kept stalling and everytime I got in the tub I would progress and I started pushing in the tub but became super claustrophobic and uncomfortable.

My 2nd birth we rented the aqua-doula over the kiddie pool b/c we could fill it up ahead of time and it had a heater so we wouldn't have to worry about filling it up and keeping it warm. I ended up laboring in the shower and moving into the tub and having him in the water. It was fabulous and worth every cent!

My motto is don't skimp on a birth. I really wish I'd had it the first time.
#12 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 01:07 AM

I'd highly, highly recommend a birth tub over a bathtub. It's not just the warm water that's so important, it's the weightless sensation that really makes a big difference. I would have been exhausted by the end of my labor if I had been on land, but floating in the water is so much gentler. And the buoyancy really makes the contractions easier.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#13 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the wonderful advice...despite my crazy nesting instincts, i think i am going to KEEP the aquadoula rental, especially since I just found out it will be $175 instead of $250 (since I have some sort of membership)...and you are SOOOO right not to skimp on the birth! I just don't want to be in labor, thinking "should've got the aquadoula!"...lol
#14 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM

I'm glad you decided to stick with it! For me the most important factors in a tub were depth, heat, and room to move around (pacing, so to speak, was something I needed to do in the tub in labor - you just can't do that in a regular tub no matter how deep it is).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#15 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM

I don't think you'll regret it.
I didn't actually birth in mine (could have, just didn't feel like it) but it was GREAT for labor, and freedom to move around in the tub is important. You won't know what positions you want to be in until you are there, and unless you can get in every position imaginable in your bathtub, I would rent the pool and be glad.
Or see if someone can loan you one? That's what I did! An acquaintance let me use hers for free, but if I have it to do again and had to buy one, I would!
That's how good it was!

-Meg
DD 8lb c-section 2004
DS 10 lb HBAC 2007

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#16 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM

I birthed at the hospital and spent a lot of my labor time there in the tub. It was just a regular sized bathtub; I wanted so badly to be able to really get down IN the water. I had the shower going and the tub filled up but it still wasn't really enough. I think the route you're going will be so much better.
#17 of 18 Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula's Mom View Post

I am getting a blow-up pool again this time (just a cheap one again). I'd only labor in a bathtub if there was something cushy to put on the bottom- I don't know what that would be, but maybe someone else has a suggestion?
What about those foam kneeling pads for gardeners?

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#18 of 18 Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 AM

You'll love it! I rented an AquaDoula last time and just reserved it for this birth. Amazing! After seeing friends birth in a fishy pool, I know I would not be happy with that, and a bath tub is even smaller. Just to add I did plan to birth in the water, but even if I hadn't planned it I would have, no way was I getting out once I was in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page