waterbirth warning! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The pool doesn't have a warranty, I read the website well. We will still contact them.

I did do a trial run, no leaks then. I've been a doula at many births with La Bassines also and never had a problem until this time. We used the liner.
#32 of 36 Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

nak

We used a rented La Bassine for our birth (on the same day as Altair's!)

The lady we rented it from said that it had a small leak at the birth before ours, but that she fixed it.

The leak must have reopened, though. During a transition contraction, I leaned on the edge, it smooshed down, and DH (napping on the floor next to the tub) got a tidal wave all over him. Sure woke him up fast! Luckily, it wasn't enough water to damage anything. It meant my time in the pool was over, though, because I couldn't handle the noise of the air pump to refill the walls of the pool. So I ended up birthing on land.

I think there's two versions of the La Bassine--a single use one and a professional, sturdy enough for multiple uses one. I think the one we rented was the professional grade, so it's disheartening that it still leaked.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#33 of 36 Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM

I've seen Aqua Doulas leak too. I've been using La Bassines for years. Sounds like a freak thing. Freak things happen. This is a chance you take with any portable pool. At least with a La Bassine you're not talking about as much water pouring out as you would with an Aqua Doula. I'm just saying...

IMO, the cautionary tale here is with leaving a birth pool unattended when you transport, regardless of the make or model.
#34 of 36 Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
I've seen Aqua Doulas leak too. I've been using La Bassines for years. Sounds like a freak thing. Freak things happen. This is a chance you take with any portable pool. At least with a La Bassine you're not talking about as much water pouring out as you would with an Aqua Doula. I'm just saying...

IMO, the cautionary tale here is with leaving a birth pool unattended when you transport, regardless of the make or model.
Disclaimer: I own, rent and birthed in Aquadoula.

How on earth would an Aquadoula leak???? The liner is superthick and NOT inflatable. Unless you stabbed it with a steak knife I just don't see how you break that thing. I was the last one to birth in mine (it is six years old) and the blue permanent liner is still in fabulous shape with no nicks or cuts or seams opening. Just the idea of an inflatable always worried me. I have never seen an inflatable anything that wasn't prone to leaking, from bike tires to balloons.
#35 of 36 Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM

The one that I saw developed a tear in the liner.
#36 of 36 Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post

I think that's the lesson we should all take away from this. In your emergency transfer plan, designate a person to come over and empty the birth pool.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page