Preparing a friend for the birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A good friend of mine will come take care of DS (3) while I labor and birth. So far from my answering her questions she knows we'll have a midwife, and I told her about how you can't know for sure when labor will start until it does, but it starts off easy and spaced out and gets more intense and contractions come more frequently as we get closer to having the baby. Maybe I'll need to mention that clothes get in the way in heavy labor and I really won't care who sees me undressed at that point. She's 17 and doesn't know much about birth except that home seems much more comfortable than the hospital for these things, she looks forward to when she'll have her own someday and wants to homebirth then. What else might I want to prepare her for that I'm not thinking of? She'll likely be in and out of the space I'm in through much of labor and they may come in for the actual emergence. Her responsibility will just be to care for DS, nothing birth related really, still I don't want her caught off guard or freaked out by anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am preparing my mom for that role, and while she has been through labor, and seen DS's birth (in a hospital), she doesn't know much about homebirth and because of that, is a bit afraid. But, she is very willing to learn and agrees that most of her uncomfortableness with the idea is because she doesn't know what to expect and how things are handled. I've given her a couple articles/books to read on homebirth and she has watched a couple DVDs (Business of Being Born and Orgasmic Birth).

So far she says she's feeling more comfortable with the whole thing and has actually had some very thoughtful questions for me (like what she can do to make the birth space feel more intimate and relaxed and if she can be responsible for preparing food for anyone that gets hungry).
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a teen- I would definately recommend her watching some videos, movies or You Tube of births, so she has a good idea of what to expect. Do let her know that you will most likely be undressed, and at that point its not a big deal, let her know that its OK if you are very loud. Do be sure she knows that if your son isn't comfortable being there for the birth its OK for him to watch a video or something- so she doesn't feel badly if he isn't interested in being with you during labor/delivery- some kids aren't comfortable with that at age 3, and that's OK.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

User Tag List