When do I find a midwife/doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing OB care. I actually really like my OB; it's just the whole thought of birthing in a hospital that terrifies me. But since I don't need a MW for prenatal care, when do I need to start interviewing? I'm 13w1d today.

Part of my issue is I'm not sure just yet if I'm going to be able to afford a HB. I have some ginormous expenses right now (just bought a car - $1000 down paymen, $800 here, $1500 there, moving soon so I'll have a security deposit and until things settle back into "normal bills" mode I won't really know if I can swing it. I should know for sure in about August, but that's not really enough time for a November birth is it?

I'm so new at all of this.

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
#2 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
I should know for sure in about August, but that's not really enough time for a November birth is it?
I think if I were you, I'd go ahead and find a few potential MWs and ask what they're payment arrangements are. Explain your situation. When I asked my MW re switching over care to here, she stated she prefers moms to start care with her asap so that they can get comfortable with each other and really bond well. August might be kinda tight, but if a MW had a payment plan and allowed you to pay just a couple hundred/month, it might be better. GL!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 02:51 PM

You still have plenty of time to figure things out. And lucky for you, I am guessing you are in southern Nevada since your name is Vegasgirl, you have quite a few options. I am in Reno and there are almost no midwives or natural birth resources here. But a google seach for Vegas midwives should come up with quite a few to choose from. I would interview a couple and let them know that you want to get your care from your OB and sometimes a midwife can work with you on a sliding scale to just do your birth rather than charge for the whole thing. And depending on your insurance, you might find that the midwife's price and what you would pay with deductibles and whatnot isn't any more expensive. We are paying out of pocket for ours, but I think it is soo worth it! And who knows, you might find a midwife you really love and end up wanting to do prenatal care with her. Midwives, especially home birth ones, offer a totally different standard of care than OBs. I have been seeing a CNM at a Ob's office and a hb midwife, and I definitely like the Hb midwife better! Good luck!

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#4 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgrl View Post
I'm doing OB care. I actually really like my OB; it's just the whole thought of birthing in a hospital that terrifies me. But since I don't need a MW for prenatal care, when do I need to start interviewing? I'm 13w1d today.

Part of my issue is I'm not sure just yet if I'm going to be able to afford a HB. I have some ginormous expenses right now (just bought a car - $1000 down paymen, $800 here, $1500 there, moving soon so I'll have a security deposit and until things settle back into "normal bills" mode I won't really know if I can swing it. I should know for sure in about August, but that's not really enough time for a November birth is it?

I'm so new at all of this.
Hi Susan:
I first interviewed my MW pretty early on. Her fee includes all prenatals, birth kit, birth and post birth care, she charges $2000. I think when you find a midwife you click with you can ask what type of arrangements payment wise they have for you. Some do barters, some monthly arrangements and so on. They are so willing to work with you, it's amazing.
I did call in advance and speak to my insurance company to see if they would cover homebirth, and they will. But I also put aside the money in our med flex account just in case for peace of mind.
I believe each midwife in the area will work with you depending upon your situation.
You never know, you might prefer to do your prenatal care with your MW and not your OB. I liked my OB (who delivered 3 of my dc well enough) but since we moved outside of Vegas, I didn't want to be driving so far to see him (and now he only delivers at UMC and I knew, no way I wanted to go there to deliver - ever!).

I can't wait to see what MW you like!

~Melissa~ Policewife, Mom to 4 great kids. Organ donation has touched our lives.
#5 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM

I have had mws I wanted to hire fill up before I was 8 weeks pg before. So you def want to call sooner rather than later. Not sure its like that where you are but you probably don't want to wait too long. Esp if you are interviewing several.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#6 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Assuming you are in the Las Vegas area - feel free to send me a message. I'd be happy to talk to you about local doulas/midwives/homebirths/OBs/local hospitals or anything else!

I am a doula and booked for clients until the end of the year, but I'd love to help answer any questions you might have. I will message you my phone number so that you can call me if you'd like. Best of luck to you on your journey to parenthood. :

Allyson - wife, mama, midwife
#7 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iemaja View Post
Assuming you are in the Las Vegas area - feel free to send me a message. I'd be happy to talk to you about local doulas/midwives/homebirths/OBs/local hospitals or anything else!

I am a doula and booked for clients until the end of the year, but I'd love to help answer any questions you might have. I will message you my phone number so that you can call me if you'd like. Best of luck to you on your journey to parenthood. :
Hi Allyson:
I'm in NV too, we are in Pahrump (lived in Vegas prior to that). Nice to see another Vegas Mama : )
My MW recommended Margie (whom delivered 3 of her kids), Dawn and April as far as MW's go in LV when I inquired for that info the other day for Susan.
Maybe you know my MW here in Pahrump? Her name is Cindy.

How neat to have a few of us from the same general area!

~Melissa~ Policewife, Mom to 4 great kids. Organ donation has touched our lives.
#8 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iemaja View Post

Allyson, I PM'd you with a question!

tree-huggin', outdoor lovin' paleo-eatin', crossfittin', homebirthin', placenta eatin', doula, wife and mom to 2 girls (06 & 08)

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 3rdtri.gif * * 40 * *

#9 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Our dd's hospital birth, with OB care, ran us a little over $2000 out-of-pocket after insurance covered their portion.
I'm not certain what our mw will charge as we're still interviewing but if it's in the neighborhood of $2000 it's kind of a no brainer to me. Not to metion, I may be able to get insurance to reimburse some of that.
You may want to look into your insurance coverage to determine what you'll actually be paying an OB for prenatal care.
#10 of 14 Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM

I'd start looking now and get someone reserved. Good MW's and doula's tend to fill up fast and unless they lose a patient mid-pregnancy (moving away, transfer for high risk, etc.) they generally can't take extra people late in the game.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 14 Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Hi am live in pahrump and I have been looking so hard for a mid wive to do a homebirth with and can not seem to find one can I please have her information
#12 of 14 Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Pahrump is near Vegas right? http://www.google.com/search?q=las+vegas+midwife+homebirth There are lots! Some may live to the west but list themselves as Las Vegas area.

#13 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise61008 View Post

Hi am live in pahrump and I have been looking so hard for a mid wive to do a homebirth with and can not seem to find one can I please have her informationHi

Hi!!! The midwife that helped me with my youngest lives in Pahrump currently, PM if you want her info.

Mary, mama to Zyon jammin.gif(06/19/07) and Ian bouncy.gif (10/26/09) Expecting someone new stork-suprise.gif 02/2013 - we heartbeat.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpghomeschool.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg

#14 of 14 Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 AM

Hello, I realize it has been quite awhile since you posred this, but I am a midiwfe in Vegas and would be happy to go to Pahrump! If you still need a midwife please feel free to message me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page