silly details...what to catch baby in? (blankets, etc) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So what do I have on hand for baby to first get wrapped up in? Cotton receiving blanket? Towels? I was going to go buy a few dark colored soft towels or receiving blankets just so I don't have to worry about staining so much. I know it's not a huge deal but it's one of those last "get ready" things I thought of.

How many should I have?

Should I wash them a certain way? I've done my other baby stuff in perfume free/dye free detergent and no fabric softeners or anything else. I have a front loader so I use very little detergent anyway.

I'm a little obsessive about this because my last one was UC in our van and my Dh had to catch him in his sweatshirt and then I just had my fleece jacket to wrap him in. I think it was the fleece but he broke out in a terrible rash for 2 days. It was all over his body and really red, it looked terrible! I just want to prevent anything like that again! Well, we hopefully won't be in the van again

Thanks
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#2 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM

We had a water birth so I think she was wrapped in a towel immediately after leaving the tub. As soon as she was out we put a hat on her head. We had a bunch of receiving blankets on hand too. Not the flimsy ones you get from the store. We made several out of flannel that worked much better.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#3 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM

We have 5 big bath towels, 6 facewash towels, and 8 recieving blankets. My midwife also delivers babies in Africa so when i asked about how to clean them, what color they should be, what fabric...etc (i like to be REALLY prepared) she assured me that ANYTHIGN was better than nothing, and that if all we had was an old sweatshirt that it would work perfectly too!
#4 of 7 Old 05-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had flannel receiving blankets and some towels. Used the towels in the tub and then later the blankets. I think I had 6-8 of each. As long as they are washed and dried (w/o fabric softener) they shouldn't bother baby's skin.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 7 Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My MW recommends running baby's stuff like receiving blankets an extra 10 minutes on hot in the dryer. Not sure if that really does anything or it's just for peace of mind.
#6 of 7 Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM

We used towels that I bought just for her birth. I washed and dried them on hot and just put them aside for the birth. They were hair towel size and we still use them. I figured towels would be better used than a bunch of receiving blankets at our house.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#7 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 11:22 AM

My midwife wanted us to have 10 receiving blankets available, but we actually used 5 or 6. I birthed on land. I picked up some blankets 2nd hand and washed them well,so I wasn't too concerned if they were stained. None were, though.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page