Baby low/dropped at 33 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-02-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last week or so I've noticed a major increase of pressure in pelvic area. Every time I stand up, there's a huge shift in weight and it takes me a minute to center myself sometimes. Also, anytime LO moves his head, I can totally feel it on my cervix, which takes me by surprise sometimes since it can be uncomfortable when he's particularly active. I also definitely have the waddle going on. He has been head down since probably 27w or so (I'll be 33w tomorrow)

I went to the chiropractor for my regular visit yesterday (I go three times a week for adjustment). Mondays I get prenatal adjusting - my chiro is a doctor that specializes in pregnant women and newborns and she's also a trained doula. She was doing round ligament work and noticed that his head is WAY down - as in he can't really go any lower without coming out!

Is this normal or common? I thought they didn't drop until later on - like 37+ weeks in prep for labor? She said in her experience when they drop down that low pretty early, it's a sign that it will be a quick and efficient labor and probably won't take long to dilate at all.

I do know that chiropractic care really aids in positioning and efficient labor, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I also have a really wide pelvis and what generations in my family have called "good birthing hips", so maybe that's why he's so low?

I'm not panicked, but I have to admit that I wonder if this means he'll come early? I hope he stays in for at least another three weeks - I'll be eligible for homebirth with my MW at 36w. Before then, I'd have to go to the hospital, and I realllly don't want that! So I'm just wondering how common or normal this is - maybe he's just positioned and ready and hanging out for awhile?

Andi, 32 - SAHM to Aaron Patriot born at home on 8/7/09 and devoted wife to Paul. : EC, Non-Circ ::
#2 of 8 Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM

I'm 34w3d, and I swear my baby dropped on Sunday. I have my 34w mw appt tomorrow, so I'm going to have her confirm that. I felt a marked change in pressure and definitely feel more down towards my bladder than I did before. I also had a sore spot towards the top of my fundus (I think his butt or knees were pressing there so hard!) and he seems to have moved away from that. This is my first baby, but from what I have read, it is more common for first time moms to have their babies drop a little sooner than moms who have had previous children, as their uteruses tend to be more apple than pear shaped. Hopefully your baby is just getting ready and in a good head down, occipital anterior position!

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#3 of 8 Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldmanBaby09 View Post
This is my first baby, but from what I have read, it is more common for first time moms to have their babies drop a little sooner than moms who have had previous children, as their uteruses tend to be more apple than pear shaped. Hopefully your baby is just getting ready and in a good head down, occipital anterior position!
Thank you so much for that reassurance. I am thinking if my chiropractor thought it was a sign he's coming early or something, she'd tell me. She birthed all four of her babies with the same MW I use (we are all part of the same community) and being a trained doula, she knows a lot about this stuff. She didn't seem concerned - more excited that he's well positioned than anything. I see my MW Thursday so I'll be able to talk to her about it, too. I was just wondering if this is common.

Andi, 32 - SAHM to Aaron Patriot born at home on 8/7/09 and devoted wife to Paul. : EC, Non-Circ ::
#4 of 8 Old 06-02-2009, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First babies do drop early, from my experience and what I've read. My belly dropped noticably at around 33 weeks or so, but crazily enough, it went back to riding high for weeks 35 - 39. Because I was expecting twins (my first pg) I was worried about preterm labor. But no doing! I ended up birthing at 39 weeks after taking castor oil!

Hope you go full term with a quick labor, that is good to hear! Take it easy if you can.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#5 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM

I remember from around the 30th week or maybe even before having lots of pressure down there, and carried visibly low. I thought surely I would have my little Holly a little early...but nope, she came at 41w 2d. But my labor was quick (4 1/2 hours TOTAL from first contraction).
#6 of 8 Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 AM

this is really nice to read, well the part about possibly an easy quick labor relating to dropping early..
Im at 33.5wks and though the NP I saw last week assured me baby was breach I was sure he had dropped about 2 weeks before, as I started experiencing the most intense pressure(with my 1st I could always tell what position she was in but this boy i cant tell at ALL although he's huge). Like op stated, when I first go to get up it takes a minute to really be able to MOVE as the pressue is horrible, an U/S the next day showed him head down so im thinking she's a moron:
I feel like I should be walking around with a bag of frozen peas tied to my crotch from the soreness...
I'm planning a UC so a nice quick labor would be lovely, see if i don't jinx myself-Lor
#7 of 8 Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM

DS dropped around 32 weeks, but wasn't born until 40+1, so .

ETA: He was a 7 hour labor.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#8 of 8 Old 06-05-2009, 03:55 PM

My first dropped about 6 weeks before she was born.
Maybe TMI but she was so low if I tried I could feel her head.
I think this is normal with first babies.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page