Vit C to keep bag of waters strong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard that you can take Vit. C (and maybe zinc?) to help strengthen your bag of waters. With my son my water breaking was the first sign of going into labor but I wasn't having any contractions (if I could do it again I would wait longer, I only waited about 8hrs before going to the hospital so of course I wound up being induced and then later it turns out my waters resealed and the doc wanted to break them again--sigh).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had more info on this, how much to take, when should I start? I'm 30 weeks now and I guess I'd like to do what I can to avoid my water breaking early in labor so I don't have to deal with that same kind of situation. Of course even if it happens things will be different this time because I have a supportive homebirth midwife But still, it would be good to know!
#2 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM

I just did a quick google search for vit c and amnio sac, and there are actually a few old MDC threads that come up asking about this as well. Most seemed to agree that Vit c seems to help strengthen the sac. This article says that 70 mg of vit c should be consumed daily in pg. I'm not familiar with the site it comes from, but there does appear to be those who agree with it. GL!

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#3 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Seems I heard this somewhere as well. But don't have any documention. Neither of my bags broke until pushing and I took in copious amounts of foods high in Vit C- of course I am sure there are anecdotes the other way as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

There are studies that demonstrated the efficacy of vitamin C in preventing PROM and PPROM. Here are a couple of links:

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/503221

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/81/4/859

In the study, the participants received 100 mg of Vitamin C daily starting at 20 weeks gestation. The results were statistically significant.
#5 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post

In the study, the participants received 100 mg of Vitamin C daily starting at 20 weeks gestation. The results were statistically significant.
Ah, well I guess I'd better start right away then!
#6 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My last mw had me taking lecinathin (spelling?) and citrus bioflavanoids as well as vit c to help avoid prom. It worked, I stalled at 8 cm with my bag of waters intact. Had her break them since I was exhausted, and baby was born an hour later!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Hi Annie. My midwife recommends extra Vit C for the same purpose. I haven't been supplementing but I do eat a ton of oranges.

I hope your experience is better this time.

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
#8 of 10 Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 PM

While pregnant, I participated in a study about C and E to prevent PROM, because as a smoker I was at slightly higher risk. I think it was 2 pills each, each day, for the last 4 weeks of pregnancy.
First, the study was safe, because a previous study had proven that large doses of C & E don't harm mom or baby. So, there's no risk involved in trying.
Of the women in the study, there were no PROM, and not one woman began labor with her water breaking. There were double the amount of babies born in the caul, and one even born in a still complete sac. There were half as many respiratory infections, conjunctivitis, or meconium stained waters.
My water didn't break till I started pushing. And the membrane was the thickest and toughest I've ever seen- the midwife showed me how she could barely pierce it with her fingernail.
I'm convinced, it really works.
#9 of 10 Old 06-06-2009, 09:06 AM

I took the vitamic C for the same reason. I also took spiralina as a supplement. It was just the regular dose you find in the store and what was recommended on the bottle. Ask your MW to be sure. For me, my water didn't break until 2 hrs before DD was born.

Cloth diapering, Non-Vax, Bedsharing Mama to Maya 3-25-08, Mila 6-28-12 and DP Marc joy.gif

#10 of 10 Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM

My waters broke before labor w/ my 1st, 3rd pregnancy. I started researching too, found vit C. Took it w/ my 4th, and subsequent pregnancies. My waters broke in labor w/ 4th, 5th, and 7th pregnancies, interestingly our only three boys. W/ 6th and 8th pregnancies waters broke before labor again.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page