Homebirthing Mamas Group (1/24) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok heres a new thread, anyone can start one when this one is too long.

Well i guess were here in this forum permanently so ill make the best of it.

I find myself not feeling motivated to make the apt.for an ultrasound...though dh wants one... time is passing and i dont care. i am feeling its a girl but i dont know...

welcome Mom2baldie, what a strong mama you are!!! glad to meet you.

tanjarine- why are you inducing early? just curious... some of you mamas are soo close to meeting your babes!

i also want to get Welcome With Love. I have read it and it is beautiful! Congrats to those of you who know the sex... perhaps we will find out. I am not sure.

I would love a red tent, i am definitley having some female celebrations around this birth. Doula Sarah, youre always so inspiring.

ttyl, tabitha

ps there are soo many of us,isnt that great!!? eta:

SBFmommy- 2/2
Tanjarine- 2/16
Amyrobynne- 2/22
Artemesia- march
dnr3301- march
Spark-mid march
Mamaroni- mid march
Kirstie- first day of spring
Indigolilybear- early spring
JayGee- end of march
love2all- early april
tmarina- 4/04
Pottermamma- late april
Mcsarahb- end of april
Defenestrator- 5/12
Kidatheart- 5/26
Jaqueline-late may
Liz-hippymom- 5/31
sagesmamacrystal- late may/ early june
TurboClaudia- i cant find your edd?
greaseball- early june
Rubelin- 6/4
Tabitha- 6/17
2BMamaof3- 6/18
HomebirthHarriet- 6/22
Doulasarah- 6/26
Mattjule- 6/30
gr8fulmom- July
Oceanbaby- July
ChildoftheMoon- 7/16
Snowy Owl- late July
Klsabin- august
sweets- 8/20
Mom2baldie- 9/04
georgia- early september
Adventuregirl- early september
mama2annabelle- early september

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#2 of 121 Old 01-25-2004, 12:36 AM

Thanks for making that list, Tabitha.

mattjule, I think hypnobirthing is a misnomer. You aren't really hypnotized, or in a trance or anything like that. What I learned from the hypnobirthing program was deep, deep relaxation methods and guided imagery, along with quite a bit of physiology. I was lucky-my best friend became a certified instructor in my first few months of pg, so I didn' t have to pay for the class, just the book. I'm not as familiar with hypnobabies, but I do believe it's more expensive. A friend has that program and was nice enough to copy the CD's for me, so I have all those (also for free). And yes, you DO have to practice everyday for it to be effective.

I am feeling SO much movement! EVerywhere in my belly, from my panty line all the way up to my ribcage. I'm at the point where you can actually see it move from the outside. Of course, every time I tell dh to look, baby is still! I know she is getting cramped in there. I can't wait to meet her! I've been feeling lately like she may come "early."

Oh, a question from my last post, I'm really interested in your input. . . my mw is giving dh a book/pamphlet called "Emergency Childbirth" at the next (home) visit. Are any of you familiar with this? Or will you make any preparations for a UC type situation in the event your mw doesn't arrive on time? I have a history of fast labor, and the mw is 45 mins away, and we'll still have a huge risk of BAD weather here. Dh is very interested in reading it, and so am I. In addition to thinking baby will come on the earlier side, I've also been feeling like this very well could turn out to be an UC.

namaste.gif

#3 of 121 Old 01-25-2004, 05:03 AM

Does anyone know if homebirth midwife fees are tax deductible (through itemized deduction)? We paid the midwives in full in December and may or may not ever see that money again through our insurance. I think the $2500 we paid will make the difference of whether it's worth it for us to itemize. If it makes a difference, my two midwives are both CPM's through NARM/MANA and one is licensed through the state (MN), but they aren't CNM's.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#4 of 121 Old 01-25-2004, 03:07 PM

I'm here too! I am due 7/16 with babe #3. Planning another water birth. Been lurking on this thread for a long time, figure it was time to come out and say hi!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#5 of 121 Old 01-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Banned

mamaroni-I remember seeing that pamphlet either at my previous mw or my previous childbirth instructor's. Our mw was much closer than yours is and being a first birth, none of us worried about the baby coming without a helper there! I think it is a good idea. I am of the mindset that it is always better to be prepared, as long as that doesn't make you anxious or apprehensive. Having the pamphlet on-hand certainly doesn't hurt. Plus, I think that men in general panic easier during births so if anything, it would be good for dh's nerves if you end up with an unplanned UC.

I find that it isn't the birthing itself that people need much help with, but what comes after. My current mw told me at our last appt of a couple that had an unplanned UC. She said she missed it by about 5-10 minutes. The woman had birthed leaning over the bed with the husband catching behind. When she got there, the woman was on the bed, the husband talking to her, and the baby lying naked on a chux on the floor. I think it is easy for people to feel a little anticlimactic about making sure the baby is warm and birthing the placenta and stuff like that.
#6 of 121 Old 01-25-2004, 11:50 PM

Hi Tabitha.. great thread!!
You asked
"tanjarine- why are you inducing early? just curious... some of you mamas are soo close to meeting your babes!"
My last baby was a homebirth as well and he was 10lbs 4oz and had very poorly managed shoulder dystocia, luckily everything turned out great and a big lesson learned but my midwives were very reluctant to offer me a homebirth after the last time, so Im having an ultrasound tuesday to estimate the weight of the baby to avoid things going to long and baby being over 9lbs (they figure that is a reasonable weight) otherwise I wont have a choice but to go to hospital if they feel baby is too big and thats something i really want to avoid if possible.
This time around I dont look and feel as big and i really want to be at home so im hoping for a good u/s estimate so we dont have to rush the labour, although im ready to meet this baby anytime!! My b/h are so strong and intense now its freaking me out!
Well belly rubs to all and take care!
Tanja mama to Raven 11, Jakob 4, Ben 2 and due with new baby Feb 16:LOL
#7 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 AM

Hi everyone! My name is Jen and I am planning my second home water birth with baby #3 due this summer. It was a surprise being (I never got my cycles back after ds#2) but we wanted 3 kids and we are very excited. My first was born naturally in a hospital with a great dr. She is now our family dr. I have fast labours and I was only in the hospital about an hour before ds was born (so they didn;t have much time to try to do anything to me :LOL) and it was as good a hospital birth as I can imagine, BUT we loved our homebirth with #2 and wouldn't go back unless it was a dire emergency (knock on wood!). We are considering UC but we really like our midwife and it is covered by our provincial medical insurance so... She was very hands off and very respectful of us in every way. Unfortunately her partner, we do not like too much...if she is the one on call we may go for the UC at the last minute :LOL...we'll see.

Anyway, it's great to see this thread. I was surprised to find the monthly groups on the I'm Pregnant board very medical...not what I would expect from mothering : I think I'd rather hang out here KWIM?

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#8 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 02:17 PM

AHHH, if I really AM due on the 18 of June, it means I'm nearly half way through this pregnancy.

This baby seems so little, though my fundal height is now in line with my belly button. Very weird. I don't really LOOK like I'm showing, because my belly has been very large and pouchy all along...but I'm just looking less pregnant than I have in previous pregnancies at this time. I guess this is because I weigh less in the beginning than the others??? Whatever...it is weird nonetheless.

I'm feeling little movements here and there, but this baby isn't kicking very strongly. Of course, just saying that will probably start some Tai Kwan Do competition in my belly!

Almost 20 weeks!!! YIKES!!!!!

Of course, I know my due date IS the 18...but I keep telling everyone I'm not due till the 30th. HA! I'm not doing a very good job sticking to the latter. If I was really due on the 30th, I'd only be 18 weeks....and I know better than that.

Anyway, I'm excited today, which is a good thing.

My two year old says, "Momma, I need POOP" so I guess I need to go toilet the wee one Yay.

Abby
#9 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 03:15 PM

mamaroni, my midwife gave us a set of instructions in case she doesn't get there on time. this also includes how to handle the baby when it's born (don't wash, warm blankets, etc). i have the instructions on hand with the homebirth kit and any other recommendations she has. i'm not worried if she doesn't make it on time, because me and the baby are in good hands with my dh. he's excellent in a crisis situation. i just make sure we read through the instructions every now and then.

my midwife is 3 hours away so it's important to us to have preparations in case she doesn't make it on time. i don't anticipate a fast delivery, but you never know. i will be in a lot of phone contact with her when things start to progress. i'd hate for her to make a trip and then labor stops.
#10 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New here, just checking in!

Pg with #2 and planning my 1st homebirth sometime early June.

I'm seeing two unlicensed midwives. One is a pharmacist and the other is a former RN. I'm still getting used to them, but I think they will work out fine.
#11 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome Tabitha! Could I please be added to the list when you update it? I am due late Sept. 04.

Thanks!
#12 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 07:05 PM

I'm happy to see such a long list of homebirthin' mamas!

I was looking up some stuff earlier and found a bunch of sites like this:
http://www.health-care-reform.net/causedeath.htm

Nice....keep me away from doctors and hospitals, please, especially when I am not sick, only pregnant.

I'm starting to get a bit of belly (at 14 weeks today). I love looking at these pics of pregnant bellies when I get to each week:
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/pregna...elly2index.htm
#13 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 PM

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I'm planning a homebirth for my third baby in April. My EDD is 4/1. Baby's gender is a surprise (no ultrasound or doppler exposure for this babe). We'll have a tub here, but whether I will birth in water, I don't know...

tanjarine - it's interesting to hear how you are handling your previous shoulder dystocia experience. Both of my first two children were shoulder dystocias so this is something that is on my mind as well. The midwives at my daughters birth (she was born at a free-standing birth center run by homebirth midwives) handled it much better than the hospital-based midwife handled it at my son's birth. Both babies came out fine, though. I'm having the same homebirth midwives come to my home this time as I had at my daughter's birth - we've been on quite the "how do we avoid/manage another shoulder dystocia" journey... I really want my baby to come when he or she is ready and I don't even know that size matters (my son was 8 lb 6 oz at birth at 38 wks, my daughter was 9 lb 3 oz at birth at 41 weeks - not huge babies). I have cut out a lot of the sugar in my diet to try to grow a smaller baby (did the same last time). But mostly, I'm hoping to birth upright...doing a lot of birth preparation even though this is my third baby (dealing with my fears, getting my head in the right place)...and most of all, I feel very lucky for the trust that my midwives have in birth and the trust I have in them...
#14 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 PM

I'm trying to grow a huge baby! My first was 7/5 and I want to see how big this one can get. I stuff myself every day with as much protein as I can handle.

I think it will be fun!

People are trying to guess the sex...dh thinks it's another girl and this other woman thinks it's twin boys...so we'll see!
#15 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 10:58 PM

I'm due in early Sept---this will be my second hb. I still cannot believe I'm pregnant---though you'd think the constant nausea would help it sink in! Planning another waterbirth! Hope everyone is doing great!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#16 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Banned

GReaseball-that is so funny about growing a bigger baby! I never thought of my first as being particularly small (7# 1 oz), but then all my friends had babies bigger than he was. Now I am hoping that this baby will be a little bigger-Tain was born with very little fat, despite coming at his own time. I remember eating a hell of a lot of protein with him, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Oh, I have a question: Anyone just use a shower instead of a tub and find it to be relaxing? My previous birth I hated the shower (my tub was too little to cover my belly) but I am wondering if it was because I had to stand. I don't really want the complication of a kiddie pool in my living room (small apt) but I live somewhere else now and my tub is deep. I was wondering if showers have worked for others or if it is the submersability that makes laboring in water so great-trying to figure out if I will bother with it or not this time.
#17 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 11:20 PM

Julie- I loved the shower!! But I agree, I wouldn't want to stand for a long period of time. I threw my birth ball in the tub and tossed a towel over it and sat. Then I was able to sit and move my hips a little and have the shower head (detachable) on my contractions and breasts. It was heaven! I turned off the bathroom light and Joel lit a candle. We talked and labored together. It was great.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#18 of 121 Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjule
Oh, I have a question: Anyone just use a shower instead of a tub and find it to be relaxing? My previous birth I hated the shower (my tub was too little to cover my belly) but I am wondering if it was because I had to stand. I don't really want the complication of a kiddie pool in my living room (small apt) but I live somewhere else now and my tub is deep. I was wondering if showers have worked for others or if it is the submersability that makes laboring in water so great-trying to figure out if I will bother with it or not this time.
I labored in the shower (on a stool) for a couple hours with dd, and it felt great. I never did get in the tub, so I have no comparison. Ds came too quickly for me to consider either. This time, since I'll be home, I figure I can take my birth ball right in my shower (which is a big one, but we don't have a big tub). Reading about everyone's plans for water births makes me want to try it, but I don't think we'll bother with it. I do wish I had a big tub for the herbal bath with baby afterward, though.

I got my 5W from birthjunkie.com today and I can start taking it in 2 weeks!

snowy owl, it was fun to look at those bellies! I REALLY need to take a few more so I have them for the album.

welcome to the newcomers! THis is a great thread.

namaste.gif

#19 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjule

I was wondering if showers have worked for others or if it is the submersability that makes laboring in water so great-trying to figure out if I will bother with it or not this time.
I used both the shower and tub in both of my previous labors and favored the feeling of being in the shower. I'm going to have a tub anyway because every labor being different, I don't know which I'll prefer this time. I stood while in the shower and hung on dh when I got tired...putting the birth ball in there sounds like a great idea!
#20 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greaseball
I'm trying to grow a huge baby! My first was 7/5 and I want to see how big this one can get. I stuff myself every day with as much protein as I can handle.

I think it will be fun!
I eat a ton of protein, too. And I know some people consider that a factor in growing a big baby. I'm just trying to keep from spilling sugar over to my baby that he/she doesn't need anyway...and if that results in a smaller baby...it may better the chances that I get to catch my own baby this time.

Hooray for big healthy babies though! I totally believe in birth and that your body grows the right size baby...yet here I am as a bit of a freak of nature with the repeat shoulder dystocia thing...so to be responsible considering my history, I have to do what I can do, and what I believe to be healthy, to give my baby (and me) a gentler birth.
#21 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 AM

I ate very poorly with my first and she was still an average size, born at 38 weeks. I just get the feeling this one needs to be bigger. Who knows why...?

But then I know people who have followed the Brewer diet and still had babies that were only 7 or 8 lbs.
#22 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 02:25 AM

I used the detachable shower head over my belly during my last labour (only because I did not have a tub).

I found it worked for a little while, but we just had a little stall shower, and I felt clausterphobic in there and inevitably got out after about 5-10 minutes...though I went in about 5 times.

I liked the water flowing over my belly while I had contractions though...that was good. I just didn't get comfortable in my last labour. It didn't work out for me that way

Abby
#23 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i had a hospital birth last time and they only had a shower. but, the shower was great! the head was detachable and the hot waer never ran out. i just kept it on my belly the whole time. they also had thia shower-chair thing to sit on, but a birth ball sounds so much better!
speaking of birth balls, i bought an "workout ball" at target, it came with a pump and was only 30 bucks. seemed like a deal to me.
the only thing that has me anxious about this birth is the fact that my lease is up may 4th and i am due may 31st. i dont want to stay here (this house, and San Marcos)..i want to move back to Austin (30-40 min away) so i can be close to all my friends, and i want a little bigger place. this place is tiny and has NO storage space. so, i ends up feeling very cluttered. anyhow, so i am stressing about if DH can find a job there or not, if we can find a place in our price range or not and how the hell i am am going to move a few weeks before giving birth! and i really want to house set up seeing as i am BIRTHING there..lol
yikes

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#24 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liz-hippymom
i had a hospital birth last time and they only had a shower. but, the shower was great! the head was detachable and the hot waer never ran out.
Running out of hot water will definitely be an issue here! I hadn't thought of that. Hmmm, I wonder if there is anything we can do about that. turn up the water heater maybe? I'll have to ask Dh.

namaste.gif

#25 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:51 PM

I used the shower quite a bit with my first birth, but I actually gave birth in the tub. Dh was filling the tub with water and I wanted water on me, so I climbed in the shower and he had to stop filling the tub for a bit. I had a detachable shower hear and kept it straight on my lower back. I think I would have stayed there forever if we hadn't had to fill the birthing tub. As it was, our hot water heater ran out of water and we had to wait some time anyway, but all was good in the end. This time, we have remodled our bathroom and no longer have that shower head, so I have to find my way to a hardware store and get one.

I try to eat a lot of protein too. Last time I gained 15 pounds and had a 9 pound baby. This time, I'm up about 8 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight (I lost a bunch in the beginning, so if you include gaining that back, I've gained about 15) and I am about 33 weeks. I got a little stressed in the beginning when I wasn't gaining weight as others seemed to be, but I have to believe this is what my body does when pregnant. I eat well, I get enough food, and last time I grew a big baby, so something is working right.

I do, I do have a yeast infection! Someone on my other board called it the "yeastie beasties" That is such a great term! That's how I'm feeling. I was doing yogurt, but I don't think it was getting me anywhere. Then I had an appt with my cnm on Monday (which was awful to get to, we had soooo much snow yestereday, traffic was terrible). She told me to switch to aloe. She gave me a huge siringe and I got some pure aloe and up it goes! so gross feeling. Then last night, I could not sleep, the itching was actually waking me up! I think I slept from about midnight until about 1:30, then was up until about 4:30, then slept until 8:45 when dd woke up. On top of the "yeastie beasties", my legs were also jittery and my pubic bone was sore and I just couldn't get comfortable. Wow, I"m complaining a lot! It's funny, because in general, I think I feel fine. When I mentioned the yeast to the cnm, she said, "it probably related to the antibiotics you were on," and I thought to myself, "ya think?"

Oh, she also dropped a bomb on me, but I'm not overly concerned. (This is a family friend who I see as backup) She said, "have you figured out what to do about your birth?" and I said, "well, I'm going to have a baby," and she laughed and said that her practice has "Quite a few doing what you're doing," meaning seeing her and planning a homebirth, but she can't talk about it there. I said, "Really?" and she said that the other midwife at the practice (who knows if it's really only the other cnm and not my friend as well?) was freaking out about it because their malpractice insurance specifically says they can't provide prenatal care to women planning homebirths and their practice is small enough that it gets noticed. So she says she can't see me at the clinic within 30 days of my due date (which is surprisingly soon!). So I "forgot" to schedule another appt with her and I don't have to go back. I asked if in the odd case that I transfer, can I still call her and she said yes, and I said, "good, that's why I come here, so I'm not at the mercy of whatever residents are on call." She said something about givigme my records at the next visit, but I don't know that I want to go back. The next visit is the GBS testing and a pelvic, both of which I've told her I'm not interested in, so I don't know that there's a reason to go back, what do you think?

We start our refresher Bradley classes tonight. I'm so excited. I love having a specific time set aside to concentrate on the baby and birth. I'm bringing snack, does veggies and dip sound ok? What should I bring for drinks? I don't want to do juice because I don't drink juice because of the sugar content, and I cn't be the only pregnant woman who is like that, but water seems so boring? Can you get sparkly water in big bottles? hmmmm.

I think I got my "workout ball" at Target as well. Great deal.

R~mama to 3

#26 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 PM

Hi tmarina
Ya the whole shoulder dystocia thing has been quite a roller coaster ride for me. At the time I knew it was serious and we were fortunate for a good outcome but all in all I thought it was a good birth. Then when I went back to my midwives for this new baby at my initial checkup the first thing they said was dont expect a homebirth and i was shocked and angry. I think it was the poor management and their lack of communication that made the situation extreme. Since my case they take s/d so much more seriously and go over it in depth with all their clients and they are reluctant to birth any babies at home that are very big. I understand being that they risk the reputation of their practice and careers knowing i have on record previous shoulder dystocia, but i think its unfair to assume in the beginning of my pregnancy that i will have another large baby. My baby before was Ben was 8 lbs and born at home no problem. So I was supposed to have an u/s today but it was cancelled due to the ice rain and ton of snow we got last night. And based on the u/s we will decide if we are going to start stripping my membranes if my cervix is ready to stimulate labour. Because if they baby is close to 9 pounds they dont want to attend me at home and have the same situation. So my choice depending on the weight estimate will be early labour or hospital, so i definitley choose early labour.
And your right size doesnt matter, 6lb babies can get stuck just as well as 10lb babies, it is a matter of being stuck in the pelvic bones. Height of the mother has a factor for bone structure and being overweight is another, as well as having a big baby due o g/d, which i didnt have.
My birth story is interesting, they did an episiotomy even before they had me change positions, which generally resolves shoulder dystocia. Being that i was on my hands and knees when i was pushing I did not even know his head was born, so i honestly didnt even try to push hard because i did not realize he was stuck and no one said anything. So after they my epis, they had me flip over and pushed my legs back and tried to break his clavicles and did suprapubic pressure and then got him out. It all happened very fast I think and I laid there half under my bed feeling stunned. He wasnt breathing initally but started right away after being rubbed.
Sooo yes who knows, what will happen, I hope the U/S is accurate and that as I suspect this baby is not so big this time around. I want a nice peaceful birth for my last baby!!
I know this time I wont wait to be told what to do and change positions myself and definitley I want to squat when pushing to allow the best pelvic bone position. They wouldnt even allow me to use the birthing stool because it wasnt convenient for them and that would have been easy to move from for me.
sorry to ramble all about me
: but keep me posted on how your birth turns out, i am really interested in stories on this topic.
Tanja mama to Raven 11, Jakob 4, Ben 2 and due Feb 16:LOL
#27 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

i put my birth ball in the shower/ tub, with a towel over it to keep it from being squeaky, and laid over it so that the shower beat on my back.

luckily we have an instant hot water heater. if you have the ability,you may want to have one installed. they are much more efficient than tank heaters and you never run out of hot water.

the shower was nice at some points and at others it was too much sensation. i dont expect anythiing to work thru the entire labor though, labor shifts and changes pace so often.

we may or may not get a birth tub. we have a large deep bathtub. i remember feeling claustrophobic in it though. our apt is really small and a tub would be a big PITA. we'll see.

we are still not sure if we are inviting our mw to the birth, meaning we may just let it happen normally. (UC) so while our mw may or may not give us some pamphlet we arent concerned. there is not much to do after a baby comes out, hold it against your skin,nurse it, thats it...

i am growing so excited about this, we can feel the tiny kicks and thumps so well now.

we have great news. i had been secretly seeing a CNM who is covered by my ins for concurrent care, meaning i had not told her i was also seeing a hb midwife. i was about to drop her and get concurrent care from an OB because i felt like it was mean to lie to her when she does homebirth as well and all. well we had a visit with her yesterday and its like she knew or something! she offered: "if you want to see another mw for hb, i will still see you for visits if you like"!!! so its all going to work out perfectly! how blessed.

we also got thru some roadblocks concerning our application for a reduced price membership at the YMCA- if we get this i can go to free prenatal and postnatal yoga up to 3 days a week, and they have a toddler care program so i can bring ds and leave him for just the hour.

our hb midwife Kristen is so wonderful, she is coming over this eve for my 19/20 wk visit. She comes once every 3 weeks right now. And we always look forward to it.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#28 of 121 Old 01-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the responses about the shower. I had been debating whether or not to get a birth ball this time around and I think I will.

I love that homebirthers are so proactive in their healthcare. I love that they take responsibility for their babies and themselves. It just fills me with pride to think I am one of them.
#29 of 121 Old 01-28-2004, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

i love that too Julie!

I have made the decision to consume my placenta after the birth.

I was really pleased that last night,when i told my midwife, she was super supportive and even offered to help me prepare it after the birth. She has done this many times and feels it is a wonderful thing. She is a great woman we werent sure if we would UC or invite her, but i am starting to lean towards inviting her,just cause she is soo cool.

our U/S is scheduled for this Monday,and yes, were learning the sex

tabitha

#30 of 121 Old 01-28-2004, 01:56 PM

Tabitha...I'm interested to know what your reasons are for consuming your placenta...I've heard of it, but never understood the why behind it. I still have my 2.5 year old placenta from miss ZZ, but I won't be eating it or the new one. I do intend to bury them at some point though.

I think consuming it seems so primal, so earthy...cool...but I can't go there (I don't know why, really...the thought just personally gives me the oogies...but I totally support your right and will to do it...so don't take all this the wrong way...I'm just interested in your reasoning).

Mattjule...I hear you about the proactiveness, etc. I am still blown away by the hospital talk...YUCK! If I have to transfer, then I know it is necessary, ykwim? BUT, I would never ever EVER make that my first choice. What a load of hell to go through to get what you want.

I'm very proud of myself and other homebirthers! GO US!

Abby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page