I have a question about using hot tubs during labor... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2002, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a water birth and often share with my pregnant friends how great water is to help with labor pain. My friend who is also pregnant was talking with me about using her hot tub during labor (though she is delivering at a hospital). It seemed like a good idea to me as long as she kept the temperature nice and warm, but not hot. However, a friend who is a pedi (and apparently a worrying one) said "absolutely not"... there could be bacteria in the piping, specifically pseudomonas, that could cause infection. My friend figured if she cleaned a few weeks before her due date and when she went into labor put fresh water in (without chlorine and chemicals) it would be okay. I agree with her, but wanted to see if anyone who has had a homebirth before has used their hottub. Thanks alot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 07:38 PM

Hi! Hot tub... is that anything like a whirlpool with jets? I labored in a whirlpool tub in the birthcenter, and the midwife was fine with me being in there for pushing... she did clean the tub with bleach to disinfect it prior to use.

I wipe my birth tub out with bleach at home, shower and use a betadine soak to clean feet before getting into the tub. (Anyone getting in need to do this...)

Some add a little sea salt to the water as an antibacterial... The book "Water Birth" by Susan Napierala is informative to have. The temperature should be 100deg. , not hotter- I can attest to this... ...not colder if you plan to deliver in it- baby needs a good temperate so it's system doesn't get stressed.

Wipe it out again with bleach just before using it, Fill it when you need it so no bacteria happen to culture.

There is some controversy over the safety of sitting in a tub in early labor stages if membranes have ruptured...

Hope this helps some...

The Lord bless you,
Zoie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Godsbabycatchers
Old 04-22-2002, 08:26 PM

It would probably have less bacteria than a hospital jacuzzi rgardless of the measures they take to disinfect. Not to mention the grms in there would be ones from her own household, ones she is immune too. He would be astounded to know my midwife uses a huge rubbermaid tub for labor/birth LOL!

User Tag List