Switching from hospital birth plan to home birth at 32 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but I took my best guess!

I am in my 32 week of my 3rd pregnancy. My first two births were ok, at a hospital, nothing dramatic, did have pitocin and an epidural for both.

I had been planning on doing the same thing this time around too, and I have just gotten it into my head that I need to have this baby at home. I am just wondering how incredibly stupid of an idea is this? I have no midwife, have not completely convinced my husband, have had two births with pain relief! I mean....am I crazy thinking to do this?

I just feel like this is my last baby, and it is my last opportunity to do this. And it would be so wonderful to have the experience of having the baby at home.....

OH, also, I have a prolapsed uterus and a large uterus, thus a slightly increased risk of uterine tearing during delivery.....

What do you think?

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#2 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could always talk to a MW and see what she thinks.

GL!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...I do have a call into a midwife that I almost used w/ my 2nd dd....we'll see what she says!

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#4 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 PM

#5 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM

I switched around that time (30 weeks, I think?)... and from what I understand, it's not overly uncommon. Lots of times people don't realize homebirth is an option or it takes a while to find a homebirth midwife that will take them or they decide they *hate* the hospital they have the option of birthing at or ... whatever.

I'd call a midwife

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM

I agree with pps - call a midwife and see what she thinks! If she thinks you're a good candidate, then get busy getting your birth kit ready!!
I think you should listen to your gut. Yes, you have had two births with pain meds but you CAN handle natural birth if you want to.
I would highly recommend reading Natural Childbirth The Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon, wherever you have your baby. It will help a lot with relaxing and managing the pain. And realizing that the pain has a purpose and is beneficial.

Good luck - I hope you have a beautiful birth!

Proud Army wife and Momma of two.
Jay-my precious boy 2/20/08 & Caroline-my beautiful HBAC baby 8/22/09 :
#7 of 12 Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM

I was 34 weeks when I realized hospital birth was not for me. I was a little stressed coming up with new plan but, like everything else, it all worked out in the end just the way it was supposed to.

Ask the MWs you are considering about your medical issue. They will have the depth of knowledge and experience to make the call if whether or not HB is an option for you.

GL!

~Kat
DS#1 (15), DS#2 (13), DS#3 (2):
#8 of 12 Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

That is just what I want to hear! LOL--so it worked out great for you then (that is switching from one 'plan' to another?) I am just stressed about it b/c I have to get everything together so fast, read up, etc. etc.....

i like making things. 

#9 of 12 Old 08-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Welcome to MDC! Anytime before birth is the best time to switch! You still have some time to gather supplies, find a midwife, etc. I had a boy after 2 girls also, and it was so worth having a homebirth! Depending on the area of OH you are in, I know some midwives, and you can PM me and I will hook you up. I HIGHLY recommend homebirth, really. You can do this, and 3rd births are usually faster than the first two...
#10 of 12 Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandmum View Post
That is just what I want to hear! LOL--so it worked out great for you then (that is switching from one 'plan' to another?) I am just stressed about it b/c I have to get everything together so fast, read up, etc. etc.....
It worked out great. We had a mix up on which glove size to buy for the midwife, but it worked out ok I was really getting anxious about having to go to the hospital, though, so it was actually sort of relaxing once I switched over and had something specific to do to get ready (instead of just furiously writing up my birth plan and trying to educate my husband on all the things that might be said and how to handle it in the hospital ).

I say go for it!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#11 of 12 Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM

It's a little different, but with DS I switched from an OB/hospital birth to a birth center birth with midwives at 37 weeks! I had the option of doing a homebirth, but didn't because I wasn't comfortable enough with that at the time. Call some midwives and get to talking!

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#12 of 12 Old 08-13-2009, 07:56 PM

I switched from birth center to homebirth around 32 weeks or so - totally doable! Just start calling midwives - call a bunch, because you want to find one you like AND find one who has room in her calendar for you. Just JUMP on it and make it happen - listen to your gut!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page