How soon after your HB did you take your baby to the dr.? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Assuming that you took him or her to the doctor, that is.

I'm coming up on my due date and am doing a HBAC...I've decided to get my baby the PKU test and also hearing screening, both of which I have to do at the ped's office. But I just read that the PKU is most reliable only AFTER baby has had at least 24 hours of breastmilk, not just colostrum. So considering that, I guess I should wait a few days/maybe a week? But at the same time, I know my dh is going to want to get her checked out ASAP....and that's what I was assuming we would do also. I just don't really know what to look for in terms of anything being wrong, and since we're doing things way different this time I think it would make both of us feel better....of course I can always take her in twice, but I would really rather avoid that if I can. Sigh.

I'll greatly appreciate any shared experiences/advice.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd wait a week just because it's a good time to do the PKU. It's too bad you have to do the PKU at the ped's office (around here the HB MW does it). I wouldn't want to expose my baby to the germs at a ped's office! I do have to take DD for her hearing test but that isn't urgent (she'll be 2 1/2 mo. when she has it done mainly because they were booked so far out).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 02:58 AM

My midwife did pku. His first trip to the doctor was when he was nearly two for a check-up and to meet our new family doc.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::

#4 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM

nak

We took our babe in a week after she was born. My peds office has an area for newborns to wait away from sick kids. As for 'checking the baby out', our midwives were more than competant.

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#5 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Our MW did the PKU when she came to our house for my 3 day check up. We went to the ped at 2wks old to get the hearing test done.
#6 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Our midwife did the PKU test at home, also. But I think, you will need to consider yourself- after the birth, I had sutures and awful hemoroids, I really could not ride in a car for several weeks. I declared myself on bedrest! Also, it is not reccommended for newborns to ride in cars, except for emergencies, unless you have the preemie-style fully reclined safety car bed. We took her to her first doctor appointment when she was 5 weeks old.
#7 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM

My ped likes to see homebirth babies around 10 days old, assuming you have midwives doing exams in the meantime. She recommended that I leave the PKU to my MW, though, because they do more of them and are better at it. lol We also took one of my homebirth babies to do the hearing screen at an audiologist at a few weeks old, though somehow we never bothered with the other, not sure why.
#8 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM

I took my baby to the ped at day 3, as per her wishes and my midwife's. It still felt pretty early to be going anywhere, to me. My midwife did the PKU in her office at day 6 pp.

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#9 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM

We took him to the ped at day 5, midwife did the pku, ped did hearing tests and such.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#10 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 PM

Midwife did the PKU at our house a few days after the birth. I didn't take DS in to see our doc (Family, we don't have a pedi) for two weeks. The family doc was totally cool with that. She's great, that's why we chose her!

Crunchy, working mama to three awesome kiddos-2 born at home!
#11 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM

I've never heard of a hbmw that doesn't do some newborn care for at least the first few days or weeks. Ours will do the PKU and hearing test and newborn exams up till 2 months, so we'll take our babe in to the ped sometime after that. Does your mw not come back to check up on you after the birth at 24/36 hours, 1wk?

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#12 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM

I feel so spoiled! My hb mw (a cnm, if that makes a difference?) did all post-partum and newborn care for 6wks, including the pku and hearing test. She also told me to call her first if there were any issues that might require going to the hospital.

Because of that (and the fact that I don't believe in wbv) 1yo dd has yet to see a "doctor". I will probably take her within the next few months (once our new insurance kicks in and we get the family doctor we want) so that there will be a record of medical care and we have someone to contact in case of something serious. But why would I want to take someone with an under-developed immune system to a place teeming with sick people?!?!?

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#13 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Our midwife did all the pku stuff for us. She did a 6 week check as well. I took him to see a ped. around 2 or 3 months.
#14 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
There's one issue that will affect the OP's decision: What all happens at this first visit versus what her MWs will take care of.

I hate to thread-jack, but I'm asking for myself, too. My MWs will do the PKU and initial newborn exam, and somebody from the State will come to my house to do the hearing test. So, what does happen at the first newborn doc visit? Is there anything else they do, other than perhaps circ boys (um, no thanks) and "offer" all of those vaxes that we won't be getting?

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud member of #teamvaxchoice
#15 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM

My midwife does the PKU and does some of the early checks for the baby. After that was done we then had my midwife weigh dd at my 6 week check-up. We just wanted to be sure she was gaining well even though we were fairly confident of that ourselves (it was just nice to have someone else do it). We never did have the hearing test done, although I remember briefly considering it.

The next time dd was seen was around 8 months which I feel kind of weird saying, but tbh there just didn't seem to be a need and it took me roughly that long to find a family doc who would be comfortable with us not vaxing, that was accepting new patients, and that was "in network" (and this was including the time we spent prenatally looking as well). The fact that I wanted to take both dd and ds in at the same time was also fairly limiting - who knew back-to-back appointments would be so darn difficult.

With the new babe I have to admit I'm leaning more towards doing something similar - I'm just not to keen on taking a newborn into the doctor during the flu season. There's no separate area for "sick" people and even if there were I have to say I'm not sure how effective I think it is. Although, we are still considering changing doctors to one that's closer - I just have to see if they take our insurance.
#16 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM

My hb mw doesn't do any newborn care past the assessment at birth, though she would advise me if LO was jaundiced, had a bad latch, etc. I was lucky with DD in that my ped's office sent a doctor to my house for the three-day checkup. The practice has since outgrown those home visits and so my (any day now) baby will be seen as soon as the ped wants to see him...I imagine I'll rally for the 10-day and get the PKU. Nothing else is applicable for us; no circ, initial vax, eye crap, um, whatever else they do to newborns nowadays. Will ask about that hearing test, though, I don't remember it from 19 months ago with DD.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#17 of 30 Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaVallere View Post
Does your mw not come back to check up on you after the birth at 24/36 hours, 1wk?
I know I have some postpartum visits, just not sure how often she sees us. I will see her on Wednesday and ask. But I know she doesn't do anything as far as newborn tests besides the initial assessment at birth...which seems totally unfair since so many of you mamas' midwives did the PKU for you! I think she used to back in her home state where she practiced for a long time, but she doesn't do it here...I think it's because of the laws regarding homebirth here. Not really sure.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#18 of 30 Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 AM

My MW came to my house 2 days later for the PKU and retested at the 2 week visit at her office. I didn't bother taking DS to the ped until 2 months. We weren't vaxing, etc., and it was pretty useless. I got nothing but no-vax waivers, vax "info" sheets that conveniently left out any serious risks to vaxing, horrid treatment of our thrush, recommendation to "gently" retract, start solids in 2 mos, etc...my midwife did better at our 8 week PP checkup (which was 2 days later).

- E . Single mom to DS 
 E (15.12.05), 
 T (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD 

A (11.02.11) and 
 Hoppy

#19 of 30 Old 08-12-2009, 03:21 AM

We went with DD when she was 2 days old. That's when my ped liked to see babies, plus DD was super yellow. My ped was very low-intervention and just told me to bf a ton for the jaundice, but did want to see her again a few days later for a check-up on it. My ped also saw babies in the mornings before sick kids and had separate exam rooms for well baby visits. Sadly we moved and I am on the hunt for a new ped.

With this baby, I don't see myself going early on unless I have a concern. We don't vax, but I do plan on doing a couple of well baby visits just to have a relationship with the doc in case of illness.

: 10/06 : 10/09
#20 of 30 Old 08-12-2009, 06:07 PM

My midwife offered a full newborn exam and 1 day check up, but I have a close relationship with our pediatrician (he was mine when I was little). He said he'd like to see the baby the day after he was born and he'd come in on the weekend if necessary. My son was born early on a Sunday morning, I called the doctors office the next morning and brought him that afternoon. No one could believe I had already left the hospital! Tee-hee, were they shocked when I explained I'd had the baby at home.

Quote:"...our bodies must work pretty well, or their wouldn't be so many humans on the planet" --Ina May Gaskin
#21 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 PM

My son is 5 weeks and hasn't been to a dr. yet. Our midwives did the PKU, as well as examined him at 3 days, 1 week, 3 weeks old. I'll probably take him for a check-up to the dr. when I take my 3 year old for his yearly check-up in october. (Unless of course I have any concerns before then! Then I will take him in )

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#22 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I didn't go until she was about 3 or 4 months old, and that was only to establish care with a provider, she wasn't sick or anything. I didn't have a reason to take her to the doctor, the MW was coming pretty regularly for post-partum visits so I wasn't concerned about anything.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#23 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Hi, Mia -

Um, she hasn't been yet. Actually, technically, she has been, but she was in the sling and we were there for a prescription refill for me and a (very delayed) vax for DS2. I want to take her to our family doc, but his office staff is about the least helpful group of receptionists I've EVER encountered and keep telling me they don't see babies. This is why I went in for the rx and the vax - so I could talk to the PA, who said, of course he'll see her . . . so now we have an appt. for November : I really do like this doctor, but his office protocol and scheduling sucks.

However, it's all good, since MW did the newborn exam and figured out how to do the metabolic screening even though she usually doesn't, and DD is clearly healthy and growing. IIRC, the ped we took DS1 & 2 to w/in 3 days of their hbs didn't really do anything else at those appointments. In our case insurance complicates things this time, too, since the kids are now on the state children's health insurance plan, which has somewhat more limited options.

I have an appt for her to have the hearing screen on Monday, too.

I do think it's important to do the metabolic screen, and if your MW can't do it, I'd personally choose to go ahead and go to the doctor earlier rather than later to do it.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#24 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 07:14 PM

We're planning to go on day 2 (yikes!) for the PKU, vitamin K shot, and my rhogam shot. We'll get the hearing screen at home. I love our family doc and didn't feel at all coerced into this situation, but I did feel nervous about it. My MW suggested that I stay in the car with the baby and let DH go sign us in and wait for the doc to be ready, then we could go straight into the exam room with the baby in the sling. So that's the plan!

ETA: Our MW can do the PKU and rhogam at home but it's expensive so we are opting to get it done through the doc so medicaid will pay for it.
#25 of 30 Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 PM

My MW did the PKU and newborn exam at 1 day old. We'll probably wait next time because that was traumatic for all of us.

Our ped wanted us to being DS in right away for a check-up, but the MW said they were just being paranoid since they don't see HB babies, like, ever. We cancelled and went at 5 days old.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#26 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 AM

We went on day 6 for the newborn screening and a general check up.

''''

#27 of 30 Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM

GP came out to do a home visit the next day/ next working day with my boys, then baby had another full check at 8 weeks. The midwife did the PKU (with my last two, the midwife also did the newborn health check) then the GP did the full check at 8 weeks.

I wouldn't have the PKU done earlier than 5 days, the chances of a false result are too high. If your doctor wants to see you earlier, negotiate. There is no reason that they can't do a home visit- especially with swine flu about.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#28 of 30 Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Our family practice doctor said she would like to see the baby at around 2 weeks old, which seems reasonable to me
#29 of 30 Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 AM

We went to dh's family practice dr. when dd was 2wo. We had the newborn screening done at that time.
#30 of 30 Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM

We haven't had our home birth yet, but I talked to our pediatrician about it, and he said that he likes to see the baby within 72 hours of the birth. Unless I can convince him to come to our house, we'll be taking DS to see him a few days after the birth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page