Mothering Forum banner

Compesation for homebirth sitter?

544 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  srlpenny 
#1 ·
Through most of my pregnancy I had planned for my kids to go to a friend's house when labor starts- however my friend has recently developed some personal issues, and that isn't such a good option anymore. So through my local mom's group I met a woman who wants to become a doula who is willing to come to my home to baby sit my 7 and 2 year old kids during the birth. I like that the kids will be nearby- and dd wants to be present for the birth. She has very generously offered to do it for "whatever I can afford" - which is wonderful of her, but I have no clue how to figure out what is fair to pay her for this.

Any experience or ideas here? Should I just come up with a number ahead of time or base it on whether its a long or short labor she's here for? This seems like such a strange question to figure out. I looked at hiring an actual doula at one point, but couldn't afford those fees on top of paying our midwives.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,

#2 ·
I was going to pay between $100-$200. I couldn't find anyone willing to come sit my only child during the HB of the second. If it's a really long labor, I might pay more. I would generally not pay so much, but seriously, it's not like I could get away with paying a regular sitter and I needed the flexibility to happily labor not worrying about my kid.

Liz

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tygrss View Post
How do you even go about finding a sitter for a homebirth? I'm really interested in this.
I got very lucky to be honest- I belong to a local yahoo group for like minded mamas- basically people who would fit in at MDC (many are members here too). Anyway, I posted to the group a few months ago that I was debating hiring a doula or like minded person to be with the kids during birth, and this lady responded. She would like to someday be a doula, so feels drawn to do this.

If you have any resources to contact like minded women, LLL meetings, or such, you may be able to find someone in a similar situation- interested in birthing. Good luck!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
I hired a good friend, a teen girl, to watch DS, paid her $120, figuring that was some moneay for being on call all month then about min wage hourly while she actually was here.

That sounds like a reasonable way to figure out how much.... Thanks. And it is in line with around what others are saying.

#9 ·
I tried networking through my local LLL and letting everyone know (aside from family I didn't want there) what I was looking for, but no dice. My HB MW has a great net list/forum and maybe yours might too, where other HB mamas might know someone or be willing to watch the kids for you.

Liz

#10 ·
We had a "childcare doula" for our last birth and she had a sliding scale, we paid her $300 I'm pretty sure.
That included being on call for ONLY us the 2 weeks before and after my EDD, 2 prenantal visits with my kids with me there, and one 2 hour visit for which I HAD to leave, that way my kids really knew her when it came time for the birth.
She was amazing and worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.