Quoted: 0 Post(s)

delete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can your midwife not help you? Or a family dr?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well, no midwives are illegal in my state and I don't have one. And we have no family dr. for the simple fact that we don't go to the dr and there just aren't any likeminded dr's in our area. I wonder if the kids' ped. will do it??? If I called ahead and asked her? it's un-likely...I am sure!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Oh right. when you said homebirth I assumed with a midwife, not unassisted.

Stupid question, but do you test the baby's blood before getting the shot? Is that not something the ped could do? They might be more inclined to offer the shot if the baby was also seeing them?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well I will test the cord blood before making the final decision on it and the baby will be seeing them but not immediately as already scheduled. I just wondered if I called there are talked to her about it, would they do it? Would the insurance then be inclined to cover it since it was being done in office as that's why they won't cover the script?! I can get it filled, just have to pay the $240 for it. Supposedly there is a generic now but as it stands, I think I am leaning toward not having it unless there is a trauma that necessitates it! I can't see any other reason at this point to do it. We don't do it during pregnancy as a precautionary thing for the "in case" situation so I suppose if there isn't one of those situations during birth or postpartum then we will forgo it. It's just so funny how they talk about women lacking prenatal care but when you are taking the steps to be responsible, if you don't do things their way, they won't help you. I think maybe that's where my problem lies in this whole thing!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Similar issue w/my homebirth, and I waited until about 38 weeks to try to get it filled. I called almost every pharmacy in the phone book. Finally, the guy at Target could get it for me w/in a week. Then, he called back and told me it would cost $800!!!! even with insurance. I said "no thanks" very quickly and w/much gratitude for him giving me the heads up. I called my hospital midwife (who had provided co-care for me) and we decided that I would go to the hospital if the baby was pos. and she would treat me there. At the hospital, my insurance covered it in total. The thing is, when you birth in the hospital, they don't give you the shot until the day you leave anyway (had first 2 @ hospital & both were positive), so you can wait up to 48 hours or so before going if you need to (please confirm actual wait time...).

Anyway, my point being, if you decide to use the hospital as your source of rhogam, there is no need to rush right out after your child is born. Still, not what you'd like, but less icky kwim? I was fortunate in that my 3rd (and my only homebirth) turned out to be neg. after all

Peace and good labor vibes!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM

pmd you.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Do you know your DH's blood type? If he's RH- aswell then you won't have a RH+ baby. I am RH- and had Rhogahm last time, but my DH is RH- too, so I don't need it again this time. I don't see why your Doctor wouldn't give you the prescription, even if you are 35 weeks. Tell him/her what is going on.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Have you checked on the UC forum? I'm sure this has come up for other UCers.

hh2.gif

User Tag List