Too early for homebirth at 36 wks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-19-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am approaching 36 weeks in 4 days and I just lost my mucus plug. I know it could be days or weeks until I potentially go into labor but really want a homebirth. We are scheduled for an ultrasound to check baby's development and position. My midwife said she could do a homebirth but I need to be 37 weeks which at minumum she said she could do after 10 days has passed.

I am hoping baby will stay this long, because I would hate to go to hospital after all of this heart and soul and finances going into the HB idea. I know its for the benefit of the baby and will do whatever but just curious....

Has anyone had experiences or suggestions about having a homebirth just shy of 37 weeks ? What if baby appears healthy on ultrasound?
#2 of 15 Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM

Baby "appearing healthy" on ultrasound cannot tell you whether the lungs are mature. What's healthy inside the womb can be much different than outside.
#3 of 15 Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
pjs

My first was 5 weeks early and a hospital birth. His lungs were fine. With my 3rd babe, a planned homebirth, I discussed potentially going early with my midwife and what would happen if I did go into labor. We discussed it and she was comfortable attending once I hit 35 weeks based on my prior history and our relationship throughout that pregnancy. Now I'm at 35 weeks with my fourth and when I mentioned going early with my new midwife she said she'd be comfortable with 37 weeks and that 36 weeks would be pushing it for her. It's a tough call because you don't know how they'll be until they are actually out, but I feel totally comfortable being at home at 36 weeks. That being said, my last two have been 42 weeks and I fear this one will be as well. So no helpful advice here, just some commiseration.
#4 of 15 Old 09-19-2009, 05:39 PM

My midwife said she will do a homebirth anytime after 36 weeks. If I go into labor before then, she wants me at the hospital. An ultrasound can give a decent estimate of the baby's size - depending on the skill of the u/s tech - but it can't effectively determine lung maturity.

I was induced with DD at 37 weeks for medical reasons and had to have an amnio for fetal lung maturity. Her lungs were considered mature, so we were good to go.
#5 of 15 Old 09-19-2009, 05:41 PM

My mw does singletons at home at 35 weeks.

hh2.gif

#6 of 15 Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Is this your first baby? If not, I would consider your previous birth patterns... If you tend to go on the early side and have healthy, normal babies, I would lean more towards feeling it was safe than if you typically go late or even right on time. I'm planning to UC and have been toying with this question myself, about at which point I would feel safe delivering at home... I'm thinking at about the 36 week mark, given that my other two have been large and fully mature at 37-38 weeks.
#7 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM

And to add, my son was born at home at 36 weeks. He was fine.

hh2.gif

#8 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned

Several states have laws limiting how early or late a midwife can assist in an out-of-hospital delivery. Some midwives will fudge it a bit and go a little earlier or later under the guise of "well, it's usually impossible to know exactly how far along...", but some won't. Find out if it's her preference or state laws, but remember that at 37 weeks, there's a decent chance lungs won't be developed fully, so a hospital might end up in store anyway.
#9 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 PM

In Texas, as long as you are 36 weeks, a homebirth is fine. Anything before 36 is preterm labor & not in the "normal" range.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Late preterm babies have their own subtle set of difficulties, so read up on it and discuss the issue frankly with your midwife. Every woman "cooks" at her own speed, so none of this is a guarantee, but sometimes even in a hospital these babies can fool us because they look so big and robust. Just in the past 5 years there have been a flurry of research publications about the big difference every week makes.

Here are some links about late preterm babies:
For parents of late preterm infants.
Late Preterm Morbidity and Mortality
Developmental delays in late preterm babies.

I think this issue mostly needs more attention to think harder about these "37" week hospital inductions, which are creating unnecessary preterm births. But the info may be helpful for those of us who have spontaneous earlier births. My little one was 37&5, but had all the physical appearance of a 40 weeker (wrinkles on her feet, little vernix, etc).

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
#11 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 AM

I didn't homebirth with my son, but I will tell you I lost my mucous plug at 36 weeks, and he came just 2 days shy of his due date. So nearly a month later. And I lost ALL of my mucous plug (not just a tiny bit). Also was 1cm dilated at that point, which is why it probably slid out. Anyways, I hope you go late enough that you can still have the birth you desire!

'curly girl' regina married to my man since 7/99 , SAHM to my DS (2/06) (12/08) a new to love! (11/09)
#12 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Your MW may be facing legal restrictions. Personally I know I have early babies (37w 6d and 38w 1d) so I would birth do a HB at 36 weeks as long as my gut was on board (i.e. felt okay about it at the time).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#13 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses.

We went for an ultrasound and have one thing on our side...the baby is estimated at 6 lbs 3 ounces and doc predicted I am actually 37 weeks now instead of 35 based on baby's development. So that makes me feel a little better;however, it's still an estimate they never know ya know and I would still like the little guy to stay in for another 2 weeks at least ..every week counts. But at least I can now do the homebirth if he chooses to come early. My son was 38 wks so ya never know.
#14 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 PM

My first was born in hospital at 36w6d - no problems. My second was a hb. My midwife said anything after 37w, but that she couldn't force me to attend the hospital. dd2 was born at home 36w4d with no problems. When my doula called the mw to come she asked if I wanted to go to the hospital and it was never mentioned again. My dd was also 7lb8oz at that point.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#15 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 AM

So how's it going? It's now the 29th... 10 days after you posted this! Did you have your baby yet?

I agree with a pp that your midwife may have legal restrictions - or she may not be totally comfortable doing a homebirth before 37 weeks. My midwife also said I have to be 37 weeks - so for now I'm just hoping to make it to Friday. 3 more days!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page