doula 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
We're on a budget and it's looking like a birth tank rental and a doula are about the same price and we can only afford one. Which should I choose? If you could only have one, which was more helpful?

Some details: our apartment has no bathtub (only a shower) and my mom will be in town for 3 weeks - she arrives 1 week before my EDD. i don't plan on a water birth per se, but water is a big comfort for me. i guess i could just get a kiddie pool...maybe that's another poll.

SO, what would you do?

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#2 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Hmm good question. I think it depends on a couple of things. Are you hoping for a water birth or just planning on using the tub for labouring? If the latter, is water a huge comfort for you and part of your birth plan? I think a shower can be fine for awhile but I'm not sure how long you could comfortably labour there (from what I've heard/read).

I chose doula assuming that a water birth wasn't part of your plan and that you could be "happy" with just a shower for comfort.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#3 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm a big-time bathtub lounger and getting a birthing tub is a higher priority for me than hiring a doula. Then again, I LOVE my midwife (seriously, she is awesome) and don't feel as much like I'm going to need a doula as a result. If I were planning a hospital birth or didn't feel as comfortable with having a midwife, hiring a doula would become more important for me. As it is, I think I'm going to skip--even though I know and greatly respect some doulas in the area--because I just really don't have much money these days myself. I may change my mind.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#4 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM

I just posted in the January DDC about the birth tub I bought on eBay for $167 including shipping. The doulas in my area are $500-600 so the tub was much less. I have had two waterbirths so the tub was a necessity for our upcoming birth. Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1139800
Amy

Wife to K since 6/95 Mommy to "The Fellas" ages 13, 10 and 8 and our rainbow girly 12/09.
Always remembering my babies who could not stay '08 '08 '09
#5 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Get both, kiddie pools are cheap and work just fine. Plus I've heard some of those tanks that you rent are not so comfy.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#6 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Moved from I'm Pregnant to Homebirth.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#7 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM

I used a kiddie pool and it was perfect This one
http://www.amazon.com/Calsplash-Infl...2&sr=8-1-spell

It is cheap and worked great. I also had a doula that I probably could have done without except she took pictures of the birth for me.

~Mariah
Mommy to DS (8/07), DD ( 8/09) and one (5/01) Frontier Midwifery student
#8 of 26 Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've birthed in a kiddie pool and an expensive AquaDoula, hands down the kiddie pool was the best. Save your money and go that route.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 12:19 AM

I say doula because you can always use a bath tub or shower already in your home (which is FREE) and ya never know, some women who plan water labors/births get into labor and HATE water, then what?

tree-huggin', outdoor lovin' paleo-eatin', crossfittin', homebirthin', placenta eatin', doula, wife and mom to 2 girls (06 & 08)

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 3rdtri.gif * * 40 * *

#10 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 AM

I voted pool, but I had a home water birth with a blowup fishy pool in the kitchen when we lived on Long Island. It was awesome - plenty of room even for my husband to be in the pool with me. I think it cost $17.

I can't imagine that a doula would have been any more help than our midwife and her asst were at home. In a hospital would be a completely different story, however.
#11 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 AM

I don't really see doulas as necessary myself. I want as few people as there as possible. I had one for #1 but honestly it was more because from all the reading I thought I needed one. I wouldn't go for an expensive tub either and I really loved my waterbirth. The water to me is integral for coping in labor- whether or not you birth in it. Of course we all have different needs and wants.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#12 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
does your midwife do labor support? some midwives really don't or they do little. find out because the doula may be an important help --
additionally
I have worked around the rental pools and I don't think that they are any better than the fishy pool- infact the fishy pool for most moms I have seen offers better purchase when pushing- the larger pool mom frequently ends up floating off her feet a bit too much-- and the fishy pool has wide sides- so hands and knees works better and can support mom's arms and head--
#13 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 AM

I voted for doula and then I'd get the blow up pool. It's what I used at my birth, and it was fabulous!

, , , and
#14 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi_m View Post
I voted pool, but I had a home water birth with a blowup fishy pool in the kitchen when we lived on Long Island. It was awesome - plenty of room even for my husband to be in the pool with me. I think it cost $17.

I can't imagine that a doula would have been any more help than our midwife and her asst were at home. In a hospital would be a completely different story, however.
I totally agree with this post and this is what I was about to post
#15 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM

I voted for the Birth tank, but really it depends on exactly how much $$ we're talking about here. I certainly wouldn't be paying hundreds of dollars for something I may or may not use. Now speaking for myself, I could totally see buying a BPIAB for $185 and trying to get the doula as well if we're looking at several hundred dollars.

Another thought I just had was..
Are there any student midwives who would be willing to act as a doula for a small fee? Students often need to log hours attending births as part of their education and many schools will allow a certain portion of those to be as a doula.

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#16 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 AM

I didn't vote because I didn't have either and I did fine! Good luck with your choice, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll do great!

(ps I found the regular bathtub and the warm spray of the shower both to be comforting during labor.)

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#17 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 12:55 PM

I vote kiddie pool and a doula Good luck!

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

#18 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Doula and a kiddie pool.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#19 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 PM

doula and kiddie pool!!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#20 of 26 Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 PM

I say doula and a kiddie pool, too.

I had neither for my first birth (and was just fine), but I've invested quite a bit in a birthing pool and accessories this time around (couldn't find an adequate kiddie pool here in Canada to save my life!). A doula is not for me -- I prefer as few people and as much quiet as possible in labor -- but I know they're invaluable for many women, so if you feel like you'd want one and aren't sure so much about actually birthing in the pool, I'd go for a cheap pool and splurge on the doula.

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#21 of 26 Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM

I just got my fishy pool today. I definitely wanted a pool for laboring with my first and didn't have one. So this was a must for me this time. Mine came to $40 with shipping.
I'm hoping I'll be fine with my midwife and her assistant. My best friend was at my first birth acting as a "doula". but she'll be taking care of ds this time. I'm still getting to know my midwife and have yet to meet her assistant, but hoping that will be enough.

Although if you get a kiddie pool, I'd say go for the doula as well.
#22 of 26 Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

i voted Doula, and get the Kiddie Pool. The kiddie pool works and you have your shower as well. A doula can be such an asset to your birth expierience. I thinkt hey're worth it.

full disclaimer - i'm a doula, but I'm also a birth assistant for a midwife and I think doulas are still very desirable at a homebirth, even with an involved midiwfe.

: the sun is always shining here. loving life with DP and DS
#23 of 26 Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
doula and kiddie pool!!

''''

#24 of 26 Old 09-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Hmm, that's a tough one. You could find a Doula who does them for free, or is your Midwife also a Doula? You can use a kiddie pool, and some Midwives have birth pools they bring. I would talk to your Midwife more on this subject and she what she suggests.
#25 of 26 Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, considering that I had a UC last time because having a birthing tub available was more important to me than a medical professional, I voted for birth tank. BTW, I bought the La Bassine birth tub and it was only about $100.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.
#26 of 26 Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 PM

I vote kiddie pool & doula. You can find doulas who are certifying & have massively reduced prices so they can get the certification paperwork completed. You could easily purchase a kiddie pool for $30 & get a doula for another $100 or less.

I am a birth & postpartum doula, so I think we are valuable for EVERY birth I've had a hospital birth with the bells & whistles (and a doula) and a homebirth with a doula. I needed both equally for birthing.

Good luck with your decision!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page