Need help making a choice re: home or "the farm" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 12 weeks preggo with baby #2. We have been planning an HBAC since the beginning with a midwife. Our last homebirth was a transfer for an occult cord prolapse and it resulted in an emergency c-section. Our state is not homebirth friendly (Alabama). I'm not sure who was more traumatized, me for the emergency C or my poor husband for the abuse he took from the staff. He is still very angry about it 2 years later, although he totally supports me in whatever I choose.

I brought up the idea of going to Tennessee and birthing at The Farm. My DH immediately liked the idea because if we had to transfer we would not face the same harassment as before. I am not sure what I want, there are pros and cons to both ideas. I love my midwives here and am very loyal to them.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. Especially anyone who has done the farm and could tell me their experience there.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#2 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 AM

I have a friend who had her VBAC at The Farm and she was really happy about it. It went well and she felt completely supported there. It's been nearly six years though so I don't think her birth story is available. It sounds like for you, it might be a great option. I know for her it was a three hour drive but still she really felt it was worth it. She didn't have any home birth options in her town to speak of though.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 AM

i'm so sorry about your previous experience, and that so many maternity ward personnel are antagonistic to home birthers! .

i can say for me that i had to know my midwives had a track record of transfers with accepting, kind hospital staff as part of considering a home birth.... i don't think i could relax otherwise. so, i'd probably go with the farm b/c of the rapport they have for transfers.

how cool to live near enough to that fabled place to experience labor with those women!

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#4 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Is cord prolapse something that's more likely to happen during a second birth once it's happened in the first? It sounds like something that is not very likely to happen again, that's why I ask. I guess my meaning is that you'd probably have a successful home birth this time. Having said that, given your last experience, you and your husband might both be more relaxed and at ease knowing that in the unlikely event you'd have to transfer again, you'd be well-treated. That confidence alone could make this birth experience just over-the-top wonderful for everyone!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM

I would think carefully about the pros and cons of each, as well as the risks associated with each. Off the top of my head (I had a hospital VBAC 15 months ago)...

Home VBAC:
Convenient, no need to travel. If there are no complications this is a great option, as long as you feel comfortable with a home birth. BUT since your state is not HB friendly, you may have difficulty finding a care provider that you are comfortable with, esp. in the context of VBAC. What is this person's experience? Where would you transfer should it become necessary? Does this person have a good relationship w/ transfer hospital? How far away is it? etc etc. Given that the incidence of UR is rare (0.5%) but it's bad when it happens, you will need to decide whether you are comfortable with an HBAC given the circumstances.

The Farm:
It's a few hours away from your place at least, so not nearly so conveneint. What will you do with your older child? When will you go there, logistics, etc. BUT you know you'll be in a good place, well supported, with a very established proven track record of successful VBACs and a very transfer-friendly hospital. Main issues are logistical that I see. Possibly insurance.

So... if it were me, I would make my decision based on the exact circumstances of a HB and would work through all potential scenarios to make sure I felt comfortable with them. Good luck!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#6 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM

I live in Indiana and still birthed at The Farm. I am glad I choose to and had an amazing experence. If you are looking for a good hospital backup like we were for homebith I can attest to it. Had to transfer after birth for 4th degree repair work.
Just shared my stor and birth video here:
http://wp.me/pbXEE-1h9

Hope it helps! Trust your gut instinct mama.
#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 PM

I thought I read recently that the farm doesn't take VBACs anymore?

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page