CIGNA ins and home birth coverage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife told me that she can and has billed CIGNA for home births and had all her fees covered. Does anyone else have CIGNA and are they covering your birth? We currently have Kaiser insurance which doesn't pay a penny for out of hospital birth but it is open enrollment and DH can now switch to CIGNA.

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#2 of 9 Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM

I have cigna PPO and they told me and the midwife's billing service that they'll cover it. Of course, that's at the out of network rate, after the large out of network deductible.... so we'll be out of pocket a decent amount, but we knew that and socked away enough in the FSA.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#3 of 9 Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 PM

I had cigna for 2 home births- one was covered better than the other. One was covered as out of network- so had to pay that deductible and rate, the other we got an out of network exemption- you need to call practically as soon as you find out you're pregnant to get the best deal on that- but they covered more that way.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#4 of 9 Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like we can get it covered 100%, even though our new insurance will be the cigna HMO. All I had to do was find an in-network provider, and there are a few CNMs in the area who are listed as providers and have a home birth practice. REJOICE!!!

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#5 of 9 Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post
I had cigna for 2 home births- one was covered better than the other. One was covered as out of network- so had to pay that deductible and rate, the other we got an out of network exemption- you need to call practically as soon as you find out you're pregnant to get the best deal on that- but they covered more that way.
How do you get an out of network exception and what exactly is it/how does it work?

#6 of 9 Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 AM

I had a homebirth with Cigna. My midwife was considered out of network, but they still covered the majority of the costs(like 3/4). I just called as soon as I found out I was pregnant and talked to them. My midwife charged a certain amount and I paid her monthly. At the end of the pregnancy we submitted the claim for care and they covered a like 60% and whatever left over we paid.

I had no problems and it was way easier than the crap I had to deal with in the hospital for my first birth.

Good luck!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#7 of 9 Old 11-22-2009, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mamakaryn: you need to be able to demonstrate that there are no providers in-network, within a reasonable distance, who provide the (covered) benefit. Then they may agree to pay an out of network provider at the in network rate (so, 100% versus 70% or in the case of an HMO with no out of network benefits, 0%). The catch is that these percentages are of the "usual, customary, and reasonable charge", which may be less than your midwife's fee. Network providers are required to accept UCR as payment in full but non network providers are not, so you could still be left with a balance.

if there are midwives in network who do home birth, they probably won't make an exception for another provider.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#8 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
mamakaryn: you need to be able to demonstrate that there are no providers in-network, within a reasonable distance, who provide the (covered) benefit. Then they may agree to pay an out of network provider at the in network rate (so, 100% versus 70% or in the case of an HMO with no out of network benefits, 0%). The catch is that these percentages are of the "usual, customary, and reasonable charge", which may be less than your midwife's fee. Network providers are required to accept UCR as payment in full but non network providers are not, so you could still be left with a balance.

if there are midwives in network who do home birth, they probably won't make an exception for another provider.
I spoke with the receptionist at the midwifery practice that has 2 midwives in network. She told me that everything EXCEPT the birth will be covered, because the midwives are only covered at births they do at the hospital (OHSU). She said cigna is not a fan of home births. Still, that's better than not covering anything at all. Unfortunately, though, we do have the HMO so these ladies are my only (covered) option, so I hope I feel comfortable with them. The only other thing I can do is call every single listed CNM in the local network and ask them if they would consider attending my home birth.

So, since there are at least 2 covered midwives, I wouldn't be able to get an out of network exception. Darn. I hope I like these women!

#9 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I interviewed two midwives who are listed as covered providers... one is a CNM and the other is an ND/CPM. The CNM I did not like AT ALL, got a really negative "medwife" vibe from her (she delivers in hospital, too), and the other one... I thought she was nice enough but definitely didn't click with her.

Looks like we will be using the midwife I originally wanted to go with. She charges $2000 total. She said she has billed Cigna many times and they have ALWAYS paid her... I'm still thinking they won't for me because I have the HMO with no out-of-network benefits, but it would be a pleasant surprise if they do. She will bill them and see what happens.

The funny thing is, the CNM who is covered told me that Cigna always pays her for everything BUT the birth, leaving the out of pocket cost somewhere around $1800-$2000.... so, no thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page