Hi Natalie's mama, where in Asia are you? Good for you to fly a midwife in! Sure beats flying you away from home, right? Do you mind if I ask where your midwife will be travelling from?
I have actually had 2 UC's here (China) but it's not my first choice for this birth. But I do have experience (as an American, not Candadian) registering the birth with the Embassy. I do not have a local (Chinese) birth certificate for either of my UC babies (2003 and 2007) and ran into some roadblocks when I tried to inform the Embassy and apply for a passport. At first they wanted DNA testing to prove the baby was ours and we didn't just find him on the street and were trying to pass him off as an unattended birth.
But I just showed up at the Embassy with all of my pre-natal and post-natal records and they said that was enough. With the second UC birth we had a witness swear to the consular officials that the baby was indeed ours. (This was our midwife, who did not make the actual birth but we left that little detail out!
) I can't speak for Canadian officials, but your plan sounds like more than enough and should be satisfactory.
I am also told that home birth is illegal, but have no actual evidence that this is true. I do know that there was a hospital here that was sending doctors out to attend homebirths (somewhat secretly; they weren't exactly advertising it) and they have gotten fined by the health bureau the last two times they did. So maybe there is some regulation somewhere...
Anyway, I am seeing the OB practice at a local international hospital now. I am very unhappy with the standard of care and the threats and bullying to get me to conform to their standards. I would like to go intermittantly during the pregnancy, but am really afraid they'll drop me for care if I don't cooperate fully. It is really important for me to keep this option open for backup in case I do home birth and need a transfer, or on the slim chance that I decide to have a hospital birth. So I'm kind of stuck with them for now.
I hate that my only two options are the fully medicalized model or the totally unassisted model. Women should not be forced into these situations!
I keep hoping there's a midwife in hiding here somewhere, and any day she's going to pop up and say "Here I am!" . But I have to be realistic; it's probably not going to happen. Having had two UC's I am obviously pro-UC, but I don't think UC should ever be a "last resort" "no other option" kind of thing. And just because I've done it twice doesn't mean it's going to be right for me this time.
And to the OP who suggested staying home till the last minute - that is our other option. Just sounds so stressful, and what if things go faster than you plan and the baby is born in the car? If you forgo all the mid-labor monitoring etc, why bother going at all? Or the opposite - the last time I had a hospital birth everything just stopped and stalled out once I got there... led to all kinds of nasty interventions.
Still go a lot of thinking to do!