Homebirth in an apartment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are going to be moving at somepoint before baby comes from a 3 bed house into a 2 bedroom apt. I am concerned about trying to have a homebirth in an apt. I scream (and it usually involves many curse words) alot in labor, but my labors are fast. DS2 came in 2 1/2 hours so I was probably only really yelling for about 1 hour. I am worried about scareing my neighbors & possibly being kicked out. I mean I guess I could say that it happened so fast we couldn't leave, but I don't know. Anyone have experience with this?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 PM

I did it! It was awesome. I did warn my neighbors, and no one said anything negative afterwards. I made a lot of noise from about 1-2am.
#3 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 PM

I did it, but I don't think I was too noisy. It was also a pretty soundproof building, but I'm sure anybody waiting for the elevator at around midnight must have wondered what was going on.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#4 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 PM

My sister did it with no problems. She didn't warn any neighbors and no one complained at all.
#5 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both my babies were born in tiny apartments with plenty of people in other apartments. Everyone knew I was pregnant and I didn't have to give them any special info of caution. I even had my last baby in my bath tub. Don't even worry what others think, and if they know you are close to labor by seeing your belly grow, then it should be fine.
#6 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Both my babies were born in tiny apartments with plenty of people in other apartments. Everyone knew I was pregnant and I didn't have to give them any special info of caution. I even had my last baby in my bath tub. Don't even worry what others think, and if they know you are close to labor by seeing your belly grow, then it should be fine.
I agree completely. Don't worry everyone knew I was pregnant and I birthed fine in my apartment and none of my neighbors even heard me or even a baby crying.

I Homebirth!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#7 of 21 Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

I gave birth in a mobile home, in a dense community. My neighbors knew beforehand, and some came over to bring stuff the next day. I was concerned about the noise, but they sad they knew because there were 3 or 4 cars parked around us all night.
#8 of 21 Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 AM

I had a fast labor (loudest 2-3 am) with my DD in an apartment and none of the neighbors heard anything (we later asked when we saw them outside). I don't think anyone could kick you out over one loud day, especially if they knew the reason!

Single HB mama to 2!
#9 of 21 Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! I guess it won't be the worst thing in the world. There is a small part of me that is thinking we might even go unassisted so then I really could go with the 'it happened to fast' if anyone said anything.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 21 Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM

My labor wasn't terribly fast in comparison. (a little less than 4 hours) and I was pretty loud. She was born at 7:17 on a Saturday morning so I know everybody was home. Nobody claimed to have heard anything afterwords.

We also warned all the neighbors in advance. They were all pretty cool about it. My upstairs neighbors told us in their country everybody was born at home and it didn't surprise them at all. We could hear them having sex during our homebirth. Dh said I inspired somebody with my moaning.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#11 of 21 Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM

We lived in an apartment when our oldest was born (we UC, iirc). No one in our apartment complex knew he was born at home.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#12 of 21 Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM

I'll be doing this in a month-ish or so...I've debated telling my neighbors upstairs and next door, but I don't think I will...my midwives have experience with receiving police at the door investigating a call about violence with previous homebirth clients and they handle any door knocks - once police find out there's a woman in labor, they book it right outta there pretty fast - they don't wanna be around for it! hehe...The apartment managers are aware, mostly because of the shipments of cloth diapers and such I've had to pick up in the office, and me telling them. The managers are excited for me Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. You can weigh the decision on whether to slip your neighbors a note ahead of time, or if your midwife or doula arrives during acceptable door-knocking hours, they can swing by and say "Hey, by the way, your neighbor's in labor and birthing at home, don't mind any weird noises or screams."

Courtney (26) & Ryan (29) Married 8/18/07 | STC for 1yr | Expecting our First!
#13 of 21 Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Our last homebirth was in an apartment and this one will be too. The last time, even though I thought I was loud, my mw and SO both say I wasn't at all. The upstairs neighbors said they heard nothing, so they were surprised to find out about our homebirth when they saw the baby.

This time, we're in an upstairs apartment, above people that are loud ALL OF THE TIME, but especially in the middle of the night. With all of the screaming that goes on, you'd think they were having a homebirth 3 times a week.

I think of this as my revenge. =)
#14 of 21 Old 01-04-2010, 03:12 PM

I have done it before and now will hopefully get to do it again but in a town house. I haven't warned anyone or anything, but I think bumper stickers on my van gives everyone a heads up.

And I remember reading something in a similar thread about people being loud during sex. Same thing applies here! And the police are used to this kind of thing I'm sure. You could always hang a sign - woman in labor- on the door!

GL
#15 of 21 Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

had baby #3 in a triplex.....didn't tell any neighbors anything. Labor was long and I was loud, had 3 mws, 1 doula, & 1 babysitter coming and going.

Nobody noticed.

let any awareness about your neighbors go......

Happy Homebirthing!
#16 of 21 Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM

I did it in a SMAAAALLLL two bedroom apartment. Nobody noticed.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#17 of 21 Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM

My HB was in a 12 unit apt with very thin walls, sounds really travel.

And I was apparently pretty loud. DH said when he went down to let the MW in, he could hear me in the lobby. I'm a moo-er, not a screamer (and I highly recommend it for moving the baby - or mooo-ving the baby haha).

One neighbor who was a friend was up with her baby in the night at one point and heard me. She said it made her feel at home, back on the farm.

No one else seemed to hear anything...it was a 14 hour labor.

I say go for it.

PS I didn't warn anybody, I thought it might just make them nervous, or more inclined to complain because they were listening for it.

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
#18 of 21 Old 01-06-2010, 03:43 PM

We are due the first week of February and attempting homebirth in our 1br apt. ....the walls are definitely thin...however the people above us make so much noise on a daily/nightly basis, we don't think we'll warn them. They have two very loud babies that we hear screaming and running around all the time and the people below us love blasting their stereo...We also have an opera singing coach in the building next door and hear her students all the time throughout our building...I'm a singer as well, so I figure it will all be chalked up to typical nyc rental noise. I suppose if anyone complains they can be assured I won't be doing it again any time soon. lol. We thought of putting a sign on the door that said "having a baby, sorry for the inconvenience" in case anyone calls the police...but i don't think anyone will.

Cookie
DD 1/20/2010
#19 of 21 Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemom View Post
We thought of putting a sign on the door that said "having a baby, sorry for the inconvenience" in case anyone calls the police...but i don't think anyone will.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#20 of 21 Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just gave birth in my 2 bedroom apt. My DH, midwife, and her intern were present. Mom didn't make it and she was watching our girls.

My labor was fast, about an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not a noise maker. My contractions didn't become intense until about 5 minutes before his birth. Even then I was still fairly quiet.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  

#21 of 21 Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 AM

I gave birth in a thin walled two bedroom apt a few months ago. It was a 12am till 4:45am birth which was pretty noisy from the start. I was what I'd describe as a gregorian chanter in labour. I couldn't seem to help myself from making really loud yet deep 'oooooooh' noises.

When my midwife showed up she actually asked if I could tone it down a bit cause she was worried about the neighbors, but I just kept on going as loud as ever. It's funny cause I was so worried about my neighbors and she reassured me not to and thought it best not to alert them to the upcoming birth.

They ended up not saying a word, but I'm sure the couple underneath us didn't sleep that night! Most people keep their noses out of it, but if you are so new to the building maybe introducing your pregnant self to your neighbors beforehand will be warning enough Good luck and happy birthing!

Jenny

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page