Delivering the placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
great thread!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#32 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

With my first, my labor was long and tiring. When the midwife said, "with the next contraction, I want you to push out the placenta." I thought I would smack her at the idea of pushing any more! It wasn't bad at all, but the idea of pushing after pushing for two hours of pushing was more than I could stand.
With my second, I was in the tub. Fast, intense labor. One easy push and the placenta was out.

In both cases, I was holding my babies while I pushed. Both home births with the same midwife.

One placenta is in the freezer to be planted sometime, the other in capsules (well, what's left at least.)

Having babies is an amazing, wonderful, miraculous, empowering ride!!!
#33 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
with my first, the midwife got me up on the bed and asked me to push as she pulled. the pulling hurt, but it came out okay. With my second, a UC, it fell out within a couple minutes of the birth. I didn't feel anything aside from the big squishy thing slide out.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#34 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM

I hated pushing the placenta out. After I delivered me babe (I don't know, 30 minutes or so??), the midwife asked if I felt anymore contractions. I didn't, and she asked me to push the placenta out. I almost died--I had already been pushing for 4 hours and pushing was the last thing I wanted to do. I was so relieved to be done with contractions and pushing, it was really hard to even think about pushing again. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that someone was pushing on belly too, and I think I started getting pretty annoyed at that time. After giving a couple of half hearted pushes while rolling my eyes, she asked me to 'really' push, 3 horrible pushes later the placenta oozed out. I was holding babe the whole time. I don't know when we cut the cord, but I'm sure it was after it had stopped pulsing.

Anyway, it was no big deal, but next time, if the placenta doesn't just plop out on its own, I'll nurse the babe first and see what happens.
#35 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Placenta came out 8 minutes after birth. Easy peasy. I don't remember pushing or anything.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08 angel2.gif  and rainbow1284.gif Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again December 7th! baby.gif 
#36 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 PM

With my daughter, I didn't feel any contractions after she started to crown (totally easy to control that stage, I just pushed when I felt like it ) So I didn't have contractions for the placenta.

After about 10 min the midwife asked me to push because the placenta was "right there" and she'd pull a bit on the cord to make it easier for me. I didn't push at the right time because I wasn't really paying attention, so she basically pulled it out.

No pain, it just slithered out. Easy peasy.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#37 of 48 Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Mine plopped out as I stood up from giving birth in the garden tub (there was still water in the tub, so it splashed..LOL). I don't even remember having a contraction. I was on my way to the bed. They midwives put it in a bowl and DH carried the baby. The cord was super long. It's in a bag in the freezer. I need to clearly label it so it doesn't accidentally get thawed out for dinner one night or something.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#38 of 48 Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantOfTheWeek View Post
I need to clearly label it so it doesn't accidentally get thawed out for dinner one night or something.
I almost did that this week.....

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#39 of 48 Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM

I can't remember how long before I delivered the placenta. Probably 20 mins? I do remember feeling it was really unfair I had to deal with that after all the pain of labour. It came out fairly easily and felt really big and squishy... gross IMO. It kind of gave me the heebe-geebe's.

What was worse then that was that I was allowed to leave the hospital as soon as I had peed... which took FOREVER. I was so tender down there I just couldn't relax... and I my midwife told me to drink lots to help me pee. I had to go SOOO bad and couldn't. I think after 90 mins I finally peed a little and could go home. Once I was at home I didn't have any problems.

Anyways that is one of the many reason's I want a homebirth this time.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#40 of 48 Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM

I barely remember it, I was really overwhelmed by the whole experience of having just given birth. I remember my midwife made my husband take the baby so I could concentrate on getting the placenta out. I was sitting on a birth stool at the edge of the pool I'd birthed in. They gave me a shot in my thigh because I was bleeding very heavily. I don't remember it being particularly painful, just incredibly easy to push out since it's all soft and no bones involved! I delivered the placenta about 15 minutes after giving birth.

Desana 12/22/07, Freya 01/21/10
#41 of 48 Old 01-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Another alternative is to bury the placenta ahead of time, give it some time to decompose, then plant trees or plants in that spot. Sometimes the plants will be alright either way, but sometimes the decomposing placenta burns the roots of the plant. (Just like you wouldn't apply fresh manure as a fertilizer, but let is break down first and deacidify) So if you care about the plants you are planting, bury it deep (also keeps animals from digging it up) so that it will be somewhat decomposed by the time the plants roots grow that far, it is meat after all.

Homeschooling, homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, APing, UC, super crunchy mom to Ezra(9), Adrian(5), and Lily(May 15) : Non-vaxed mom and babes
#42 of 48 Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 AM

I hated delivering my placentas. With my first HB I had the seperation gush in the tub, and for some reason the mw's insisted I get out to deliver the placenta in bed. They were insistent and I remember being a little grumpy about it. They had DH take the baby and one mw did the baby assessment while I tried to push it out and I was po'd, so I took her and nursed her and with those ctx was able to get it out. With DS I got out of the tub and same thing, nursed him until I felt like pushing it out. I had awful back cramps.

CPST & mom

#43 of 48 Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM

I just remembered something that made me giggle. DH was busy cleaning everything up and making sure the baby and I were comfortable but when I told him "Oh! And here comes the placenta! I need a bucket." He didn't seem to realize that I needed the bucket RIGHT THEN. Just like when the baby was pushed out, I didn't actively push for the placenta either - it was completely my uterus taking over. So it's not like I could have held it in.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#44 of 48 Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 AM

My first was a hospital birth and I have absolutely no recollection of delivering the placenta but my DH gets very grossed out b/c he claims the OB tugged on the umbilical cord (cut immediately after the baby was out) and pulled the placenta out and plopped it onto a dish. I have no idea but considering how that birth went I wouldn't be surprised.

With my second, I had a water birth and delivered my son and was holding him and literally like ten minutes after delivering him I started complaining to the midwife that I was having really annoying contractions so she went to get my tupperware thingie to catch it and asked me to push with the next contraction and it came out (just felt like the afformentioned squishy feeling). Afterwards it was kind of funny b/c my placenta was floating in the tupperware thing and my son was still attached to it.

I have to say, the contractions that came after the relief of delivering the baby were pretty disheartening. I woudln't say they were as painful as labor contractions but they defintiely took away from the bliss of the moment for me. Maybe I just wasn't prepared. Oh and I ate mine. I know that's not a popular choice but I had very bad PPD with DD and wanted to avoid that this time around. I had a raw chunk of it immediately after birth and then cooked small pieces of it daily afterwards. It really wasn't as gross as it sounds.
#45 of 48 Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMama27 View Post
Oh and I ate mine. I know that's not a popular choice but I had very bad PPD with DD and wanted to avoid that this time around. I had a raw chunk of it immediately after birth and then cooked small pieces of it daily afterwards. It really wasn't as gross as it sounds.
Placenta smoothies will be happening here!

(much to the horror and disgust of my husband, haha)

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#46 of 48 Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM

After my daughter was born, she just sorta laid across my tummy for a while. I remember the midwife saying, "push with the next contraction to deliver the placenta" but I never felt any more contractions. I didn't want the cord cut until after the placenta was out, which is as far as I could go with a lotus birth. I was in a really outer-space zone so it's hard to remember those first moments! OK, the midwife said, "the placenta is ready to come out, give a little push". I gave the tiniest push and the whole thing sorta plopped out. And then my husband cut the cord. I think he was holding the baby when the placenta came out. I looked at the placenta with the midwives and they froze it. It was months later that I got around to getting rid of it. I took it to the beach and threw it in the ocean.

And about eating the placenta, that's not weird at all. All other mammals, even herbivores, eat the placenta. After my sister's babies were born in the hospital, the first meal they served her was a steak dinner, and I think that's a similar thing in a way. My midwives encapsulated placenta sometimes. Hospitals sell them, some to research, but the vast majority to cosmetics companies.
#47 of 48 Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM

After my baby was born, I just held him and dh took pics...then my midwives arrived (yep, a little late! ). We got out of the pool and I sat on a birthing stool, once I felt a pushing contraction, I pushed a bit (it comes natural) and FLOP it went in a basin! (that was about 30 mins after the birth)
I have pictures of it if you want to see it (pics of the birthing stool, placenta and cord, NOT of me delivering it! )
http://www.thekeoghfamily.phanfare.com/2017157_2391374

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#48 of 48 Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Wow-- I haven't seen a placenta before-- thanks SO much for the pics. Looks like an amazing birth you had!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page