Delivering the placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a first time mom I have watched lots of birth movies and heard many beautiful birth stories, but pretty much all of them stop once baby is born. I really don't understand what it is like to deliver the placenta. Does it take a long time? Is it painful? Messy? How long after the birth? Are you holding the baby at that point? I would love to hear about your placenta delivery. BTW- we are having a home birth and are planning to plant the placenta in the garden under a plant (we aren't sure what yet). Thanks.
#2 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I gave birth to my dd in the tub and after nursing her, I went to the bed. I held her and after the cord stopped pulsating, we cut the cord. After that (which was probably about 30 minutes after her birth), I delivered the placenta. It didn't hurt at all. The midwife told me to push, but compared to pushing a baby out, it was more like passing gas than pushing! The placenta just slid right out. I think my dh was holding the baby at the time but I could have held her during it too.
#3 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 01:10 AM

it wasn't that bad. the only bad part was having another "pushing contraction" which hurt my arse more than anything else!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#4 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 AM

I just thought it would come out, easy peasy, but mine didnt come out by itself. Took a trip to the hosp and a manual extraction by an OB to get it out.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#5 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 AM

for both of mine, I held the baby for a few minutes until the cord stopped pulsing, and then we cut it and handed the baby off to daddy to get dried off and kept warm on his chest (both of mine were born in water). About that time I had another contraction, but it was nothing like when there was a baby in there For me, the placentas plopped out pretty easily, it wasn't painful, just mushy. With my first, I was out of the water and on some chux and a midwife caught it in a bowl. With my second, I was still in the pool and it just came out in the water, then someone scooped it out.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#6 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 AM

Just a note from my midwife: She says that if you plant the entire placenta under a single plant, you will likely kill it because the nutrients are too concentrated. You need to cut it up in small pieces and mix it in well with the soil.
#7 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, this is all very helpful. I guess in my mind, before getting pregnant, I hadn't thought at all about this and the story of birth ended with the baby coming out....so it's good to hear that for most of you it wasn't a big deal at all.

Geerbabe- thanks for the tip! Im not quite sure what to make of chopping it all up, but it made me smile. What did the rest of you do with yours? Thanks again
#8 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM

both of my placentas were delivered within 15 minutes of my babies coming out. we cut the cords after the placentas were out. as far as getting it out; it's easier. i mean, yeah your tired, and your yoni hurts, but there are no bones in a placenta :P

sometimes it's messy, but usually a birth attendant will catch the placenta, and all that follows it (blood), in a bowl or on a chux or something. usually when i'm at a birth the messy part is what we call the "separation gush", which indicates that the placenta has separated from the wall of the uterus and will come out shortly. usually at that point, mom is still in the tub or we've moved her to a couch/bed with a chux under her to prevent blood from getting on something it shouldn't.

as far as planting it after; i think planting it with a tree would allow for you to plant the whole thing as opposed to cutting it into pieces. that being said, my midwife's partner gardens and will plant whole placentas in garden beds (some clients don't want their placentas) without killing or causing the plants harm. in fact their garden boasts some mighty beautiful flowers and herbs!
#9 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 PM

With Hunter the placenta came about 12 minutes later. I didn't notice the contractions for it, but felt it come out, which was not painful at all. There was some blood, but not a lot and I wouldn't call it very messy. I wasn't holding Hunter yet, as he had to be on oxygen, but shortly after that I had him.
#10 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Both of mine are still in my freezer.... we have plans to plant them under a tree but want to be in our "final" house if possible so we don't have to leave it behind

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#11 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I had my DD in water and she came VERY fast. I got out of the tub after her birth and held her. We let the cord finish pulsating, and then cut it. It was probably 20-30 min after her birth (but to be honest, I didn't have a great concept of time at that point). I felt absolutely NO contractions after her birth. At least not that I remember. I wouldn't have known to push had my midwife not told me to. I thought, "no way, it's not ready to come out yet," because I didn't feel the urge to push like I had been told I would. But sure enough I gave the smallest little grunt of a push, and out it plopped. In all of its wonderful, warm, soft, healing glory. It was fantastic. It really felt great. I know that is weird to say, but after the ordeal I had just been through, it was exactly what my body needed. It was like that was innately part of its job, to heal me. It was a very memorable and powerful experience. I was filled with baby love and a birth high. We examined it to make sure it looked healthy. It was so interesting to see the thing that had helped nourish my baby for 9 months. I wish we had kept it. No one really talks about the delivery of the placenta as a satisfying experience, but I believe many women share that sensation. My mom just went to a birth as a doula where the mom actually said as the placenta was coming out, "this feels SOOOO good!!" I'm looking forward to that part of birth this time around.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#12 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm not sure how many minutes after giving birth mine came out, but it was pretty soon after. I was on the bed nursing DS & felt the minor contractions that went along with it when my midwife urged me to push a little to get the placenta out. It was like Jello. Seriously, that was what I thought of it when it came out...after pushing out a baby, it was a pleasure! LOL! It was awhile after that when we finally cut the cord.
#13 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 PM

To me it feels just like after the baby's head is out, and their body comes bursting out behind...that slippery feeling is very familiar IMO and it is very little pain, again just like the body feels in comparison after the head.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#14 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclare View Post
Thanks, this is all very helpful. I guess in my mind, before getting pregnant, I hadn't thought at all about this and the story of birth ended with the baby coming out....so it's good to hear that for most of you it wasn't a big deal at all.

Geerbabe- thanks for the tip! Im not quite sure what to make of chopping it all up, but it made me smile. What did the rest of you do with yours? Thanks again
You'll also want to be sure to bury it VERY DEEP below whatever you're planting under - both to distribute the nutrients more so it doesn't kill your tree or plant(s) and so it does't get dug up by an animal.

Courtney (26) & Ryan (29) Married 8/18/07 | STC for 1yr | Expecting our First!
#15 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Mine came out within less than 10 minutes. I did not feel any contractions and was sitting up nursing at that point. My midwife just got a bowl to catch it and I actually wondered at the time how she knew it was coming.

I agree that the feeling was really awesome. It actually felt like everything in there was raw and that the placenta just made it all better.

I also noticed that as soon as the placenta was out I got really hungry. It really seemed like an evolutionnary instinct to eat the placenta.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#16 of 48 Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM

DD was born in a hospital and the cord was cut shortly after birth, the placenta "plopped" out right after that. No contractions or anything, just warm, awesome, squishiness that made me gasp it was so surprising of a feeling.

Amri- mama to Indica 12.08.06 and Kytan 04.04.10
#17 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM

I agree with what most people said - delivering the placenta was very easy compared to the birth - my uterus did give me come cramps/contractions to help me push it out but they weren't bad at all.

You asked what we did with our placentas - I had mine encapsulated and took them like vitamins for several weeks after the birth. They are nutrient and hormone-rich and can help prevent PPD. Also, something I regretted not doing - found out about it afterwards - is making a placenta print. You get a nice blank sheet of art paper and simply put the "pretty side" of the placenta on the paper and it will make an imprint of the placenta. I have heard some of them are quite beautiful. Then you can frame it or just save it somewhere.

Lisa, proud Army wife to DH and stay-at-home-mama to Alex (4), Cassidy (2), and brand spankin' new Bridgette.
#18 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM

With my son, about 10-15 minutes after the birth the cord had stopped pulsing, we cut it, my midwife told me to give a little push into a bowl she had ready and out it came. I wondered how she knew, as I don't really remember contractions, maybe a slight cramping. It wasn't too messy, I did have some blood but not a ton.

With my daughter the placenta came about two minutes after the birth. I must have had some bleeding, because again my midwife got a bowl ready before I knew it was ready and out it came very easily. I had a fountain of blood pour out of me after the placenta came, which felt and sounded so weird. My husband was totally freaked out by the blood. I think it has really had a lasting impact on him as he still talks about it with fear and awe.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#19 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
, I held the baby for a few minutes until the cord stopped pulsing, and then we cut it and handed the baby off to daddy to get dried off and kept warm on his chest (both of mine were born in water).
This was us, but I couldn't deliver the placenta on my own. After an hour latched on and not having a single additional contraction, the MW got me out of the pool and we tried pitocin (intramuscular). Still no contrax, so she had me do a supported squat while she very! gently tugged on the cord, and the placenta just slid out. It wasn't painful or awkward or anything.`

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#20 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM

About 15minutes after DS2 was born, I was sitting on the couch (on a chux!) nursing him and feeling those wretched after-pains. There was this sudden feeling of fullness and I had the urge to push so DH handed me a bucket, I squatted over it and the placenta just slipped out. It's a very satisfying feeling because after pushing a baby out, it's SCARY to push even to have a bowel movement. But the placenta was painless and a lot less work than my mind was prepared for.

After the midwife looked it over, DH double bagged it and popped it in the freezer where it waited for a few months until we found a tree. As for planting it whole, we planted a crabapple tree on top of his, we didn't cut up the placenta or anything and the tree has flourished.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#21 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM

I was just discussing this with my doula the other day. She said with her last homebirth, it took two hours for the placenta to come out, and it was harder than the birth. Her cervix had already closed to 5 cm and so that was why it was painful. She finally got it out sitting on the toilet and pushing like a mad women. She bled quite a bit until the midwife gave her homeopathic remedy. All her other births it was quick and painless.

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#22 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudhistbudhist View Post
I was just discussing this with my doula the other day. She said with her last homebirth, it took two hours for the placenta to come out, and it was harder than the birth. Her cervix had already closed to 5 cm and so that was why it was painful. She finally got it out sitting on the toilet and pushing like a mad women. She bled quite a bit until the midwife gave her homeopathic remedy. All her other births it was quick and painless.
Hmmm...ouch! I think this might be why my midwife said "It's been almost an hour since the birth, let's go ahead and push the placenta out." And it was totally FINE. Don't worry about delivering the placenta, your midwife will take care of you :-)

Lisa, proud Army wife to DH and stay-at-home-mama to Alex (4), Cassidy (2), and brand spankin' new Bridgette.
#23 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Mine literally fell out. I delivered my daughter kneeling, took a few minutes to hold her and kiss my husband, and when I stood up to walk to the bed, it just plopped right out. I didn't really realize what happened...it just felt warm and soft.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#24 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 AM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#25 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 AM

After each of my sons were born, within I would say less then a minute the placenta just came down the turnpike and well just fell out. I felt absolutely nothing, It just plopped out. I guess I was lucky, no delivering it or anything.
#26 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
I just thought it would come out, easy peasy, but mine didnt come out by itself. Took a trip to the hosp and a manual extraction by an OB to get it out.
With my first, mine did come out easy-peasy.

With the second child, after 2 hours and a shot of pitocin still no placenta. My midwife said we would need to transport, but she could try ONE LAST THING.

That one last thing worked really well, but I'm surprised she didn't leave her wrist-watch in there At least we didn't have to transport, and when it was all done ... it was just all done!

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#27 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 PM

What a great idea for a thread. This has been great to read.

With my daughter, I sat in the tub with her for about 30 minutes before finally looking to see if she was a girl, and having DH cut the cord.
Then, as I stood up, I had the aforementioned "separation gush" and it scared the crap out of me, because I was looking down into the pool and suddenly it just seemed to fill with blood (the water diluted the blood and made it look like there was more than there was, and the low lights made it look even murkier).
I'm a little bit fuzzy about delivering the placenta. I remember sitting on the floor nursing my daughter and I might have delivered it there, or I might have delivered it in my kitchen.
I also remember being very surprised when it came, like I had completely forgotten there was anything else that was going to happen after the baby came out. I was either not having or was simply not aware of contractions at the time.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#28 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM

I didnt even notice with my first when I delivered it because I was too busy being in love with my new baby. With the second one I did notice it but it was not bad at all, it felt similar to passing a clot when I am on my period. It just... came out.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#29 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 PM

I hate passing placentas. I think it's a disgusting feeling, all soggy and squishy. I tend to get a big clot come out, which gets my hopes up- and then I realise the big ick is yet to come. Last time round, for various reasons I ended up sitting on top of a mountain of clots waiting for the midwife to come and rescue me, which was just One Big Ick.

Natural or managed third stage doesn't make a difference to me, fwiw.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#30 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Delivery of the placenta has always been pretty much a non-issue for me. Comes out 5-10 minutes after baby and I barely notice it. With my second DS (first unmed. delivery), from the moment he was out, I could still feel pain, but I had such a birth high, it just didn't matter to me anymore. If I pushed at all to get the placenta out, it wasn't much.

Kori
SAHM to two boys and a baby girl born at home on Valentines Day

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page