Homebirth Midwife in NC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of a good homebirth midwife near Fayetteville, NC that does VBACs and accepts medicaid? I found one but you have to pay all costs up front then she bills medicaid, and you're reimbursed half. Is that how it is with all midwives? I had a c-section with my 1st, and really want a homebirth this time around, but it just feels like a dead end. I also found a birthing center not too far from me (chapel hill) that seemed ideal, but they don't do VBACs. I just feel like my goal of having a magical home/waterbirth is so out of reach because I have preg. medicaid, and cant afford a out-of-pocket midwife. Any advice?

a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:238:"
a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:128:"Jacqueline: mommy to Ben (8.16.08) & Jack (8.1.10) *HBAC*";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
#2 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiev0626 View Post
Does anyone know of a good homebirth midwife near Fayetteville, NC that does VBACs and accepts medicaid? I found one but you have to pay all costs up front then she bills medicaid, and you're reimbursed half. Is that how it is with all midwives? I had a c-section with my 1st, and really want a homebirth this time around, but it just feels like a dead end. I also found a birthing center not too far from me (chapel hill) that seemed ideal, but they don't do VBACs. I just feel like my goal of having a magical home/waterbirth is so out of reach because I have preg. medicaid, and cant afford a out-of-pocket midwife. Any advice?
I think I know exactly who you're talking about, probably the mw we are using. What our plan with her is to pay our deductable (we have insurance, she'll be out of network), then she'll bill insurance for each prenatal and we'll pay what they don't cover till we hit her fee. Could you see if she could bill Medicaid after each appt so you could pay your part of the fee in smaller chunks? I'm sure she would work with you if you discuss the situation with her.

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#3 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM

I am a traditional midwife (and military wife) here in Fayetteville. due to our legal status, I don't bill insurance - including medicaid; but I do VBAC's, waterbirth, and I offer a sliding scale.

Just another option! The CNM here in town, Donna Galati (Monarch Midwifery) bills insurance but does not accept medicaid as she is not a medicaid provider.

Good luck!

Monique

Monique, CPM and Florida LM. Proud momma to 6 boys with 1 more on the way; wife to Shane my best friend.

#4 of 15 Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 AM

I had medicaid when i was pregnant in florida and it covered everything. It would not have covered vitamins from the midwife, tub rental and multiple sonograms, but I didnt end up paying a dime. I dont know if the laws are different in NC, though. Id be interested to find out because I live in Asheville now!
#5 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaVallere View Post
I think I know exactly who you're talking about, probably the mw we are using. What our plan with her is to pay our deductable (we have insurance, she'll be out of network), then she'll bill insurance for each prenatal and we'll pay what they don't cover till we hit her fee. Could you see if she could bill Medicaid after each appt so you could pay your part of the fee in smaller chunks? I'm sure she would work with you if you discuss the situation with her.
Are you talking about Monarch Midwifery?

a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:128:"Jacqueline: mommy to Ben (8.16.08) & Jack (8.1.10) *HBAC*";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
#6 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katemorrow View Post
I had medicaid when i was pregnant in florida and it covered everything. It would not have covered vitamins from the midwife, tub rental and multiple sonograms, but I didnt end up paying a dime. I dont know if the laws are different in NC, though. Id be interested to find out because I live in Asheville now!
Wow that would be ideal! I don't know what the laws are here..still trying to find out too

#7 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM

I just found out that I am pregnant. I will probably be on medicaid as well. This is my first, but I have read about midwives, and would like that option to be open. [I live on the Cumberland/Harnett County line.] I'm going to the Department of Health on Monday, and I will ask then. I read before that some doctors work with midwives, I wonder if you could just find a practice that has a midwife on staff?? Just a suggestion. Email me if you find anything out, please, and I will be sure to do the same.
#8 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 PM

I also am in NC with Medicaid; our mw charges a lower fee ($2000) for medicaid recipients, which we do have to pay over the course of pregnancy. I think only CNMs in NC can take medicaid (not CPMs), though ours says her last few claims have actually been denied.

She's in Bear Creek, outside Pittsboro--pm me if you'd like her contact info.

Also want to suggest posting in the Finding Your Tribe area for more responses.

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
#9 of 15 Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 PM

I had a medicaid funded homebirth with a CNM in NC in 2000. I don't know if the laws are still the same, but at the time they covered everything, she had OBs whom she networked with for ultrasounds, and medicaid payed for all of it. In the Asheville area, New Dawn midwifery is a good one. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the midwives in your area. I do know that medicaid only covers CNMs and not CPMs. HTH

Homeschooling, homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, APing, UC, super crunchy mom to Ezra(9), Adrian(5), and Lily(May 15) : Non-vaxed mom and babes
#10 of 15 Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM

The one in Bear Creek does take medicaid but you have to also pay a certain amount that medicaid does not cover for her assistant. I am not sure how that works though because if you are a medicaid provider in NC you are not supposed to charge the client anything over the medicaid reimbursement. I suppose there may be a clause somewhere that allows it in certain situations.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#11 of 15 Old 01-10-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiev0626 View Post
Are you talking about Monarch Midwifery?
Oh, no sorry. I am talking about Midwifery Services, which is in Hampstead, closer to Jacksonville I guess. I honestly didn't know there was another CNM that did hb's in that part of the state!

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#12 of 15 Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 PM

Where is everyone finding a midwife willing to do a HB in NC? All I have been able to find is a doula. We are out of Jacksonville and because I have Tricare Prime it wouldn't be covered so we would have to pay out of pocket. We really are just looking for a midwife to attend the birth. I love my midwife now and so torn between just delivering at the Naval Hospital to be with her but I really want to do this at home and she can't do ours out of the hospital..
#13 of 15 Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Hi Gals,

I am Deb O'Connell and I am a CNM with a homebirth practice in Carrboro NC.
I accept medicaid and I have a legal practice.
You can visit our website at www.carrboromidwifery.com or call me at 919-428-0717

Happy Birthing!
Deb
#14 of 15 Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM

For all of you trying to find midwives there is: NC Friends of Midwives they will help you find a MW, you fill out the form and they will contact you with info on practicing midwives in your area. They may know of a CNM practicing legally or of a CPM practicing illegally due to NC laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaVallere View Post
Oh, no sorry. I am talking about Midwifery Services, which is in Hampstead, closer to Jacksonville I guess. I honestly didn't know there was another CNM that did hb's in that part of the state!

We are at Midwifery Services too, we just love them!!!! We actually will be there Tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed210 View Post
Where is everyone finding a midwife willing to do a HB in NC? All I have been able to find is a doula. We are out of Jacksonville and because I have Tricare Prime it wouldn't be covered so we would have to pay out of pocket. We really are just looking for a midwife to attend the birth. I love my midwife now and so torn between just delivering at the Naval Hospital to be with her but I really want to do this at home and she can't do ours out of the hospital..
****Midwifery Services isn't that far from you I would give Olivia a call.

We are tricare prime also and are paying out of pocket, if you are able to find a "Nurse Midwife" doing homebirths you can bill tricare, though usually you only get any money back if you are standard. Though I have heard of prime people getting back $500.

This will be our second homebirth we have paid for out of pocket, some people think we are crazy seeing as if we went to a hospital we would never spend a penny but we did that with our first and in our opinion the care we get is WELL worth the $2,500-$3,000 we have to pay out.

Mom of 3.
#15 of 15 Old 01-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Monique, i have been looking for you!! we know someone who recommended you and although i had a homebirth for my last baby and it was wonderful, the billing was a problem. we used Monarch and when it came to billing our insurance they really dropped the ball, and we never saw a dime. I am looking to connect you with some women who have heard about our experience and are looking for a midwife in the area. two of them dont have insurance and would be self pay. you can email me at rdrullard.bbc@gmail.com  ( the owners of the Hugs and kisses sale recommended you)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page