So Frustrated! Just Venting. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was really excited about having a home birth but it looks like it wont happen. It seems our insurance will not cover a home birth. My husband went to his benefits coordinator and she flat out refuses to approve it.

We CAN NOT afford to pay out of pocket the full amount. We are planning on using the money to buy a car that will fit all of us.

I don't understand how I can read posts on here and other forums from those who live in the same city and have theirs covered. How did they manage it? My husband says a midwife told him no insurance will cover a home birth but I know that's not true.

Our insurance will cover midwives but only at a birth center. Well that one is 40 minutes away and I will end up delivering in the car because I don't have a usual labor.

I'm so upset right now.
#2 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM

What insurance company do you have? Do the Birth Center midwives do homebirths? They can bill the insurance and just not charge a facility fee.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#3 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

It's Tribal Health/Blue Shield PPO

None of the midwives at the birthing center do home births although they have the experience.

I'm so upset I have a headache.
#4 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM

I had a homebirth covered by insurance--I paid $80 out of pocket for the whole thing. I'm in Washington State. It's amazing how different policies are from state to state, company to company. It's the same country! Have you looked at the sample letter to an insurance company? If it doesn't work for you, it might help pave the way for someone in the future.
#5 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 PM

have you approached any midwives about a lower fee, time payments or barter?

Also, no car in the world would be worth me birthing at a hospital!

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#6 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

We finally found a midwife that actually deals with insurance herself. We have an appointment with her a week from Friday. She actually works out of the birthing center part time but has her own practice. I'm hoping to go to the birth center for the prenatles and labs (if needed) and have her come to the appartment for the delivery. She bills out of network to get covered and our insurance covers 50% which we can live with.

I'm feeling a lot better now. I just hope we mesh well.

Thanks for listening.
#7 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 AM

One of the things which attracted us to our midwives (well, we love them, but one of the big perks) was that they use an insurance billing company who knows what to do. We don't know if it will be covered or not, but I know they said that in no way will they be mentioning anything about "homebirth" here in Maryland. They will merely state that as CNM's they attended a birth-- no one needs to know where.....Good luck!
#8 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM

I should add that I have many friends who have worked with midwives at birthing centers and had truly wonderful births they loved. So, you don't have to sacrifice everything.....
#9 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chembrlee View Post
We finally found a midwife that actually deals with insurance herself. We have an appointment with her a week from Friday. She actually works out of the birthing center part time but has her own practice. I'm hoping to go to the birth center for the prenatles and labs (if needed) and have her come to the appartment for the delivery. She bills out of network to get covered and our insurance covers 50% which we can live with.

I'm feeling a lot better now. I just hope we mesh well.

Thanks for listening.
That was going to be my suggestion. Esp. if you have PPO, you can always get out-of-network coverage at a lower amount. Good luck!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#10 of 10 Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chembrlee View Post
It's Tribal Health/Blue Shield PPO

None of the midwives at the birthing center do home births although they have the experience.

I'm so upset I have a headache.
I see you found someone that will work with you guys but I wanted to add that Tribal Health/Blue Shield PPO will absolutely pay for homebirths. I have talked to them myself about it.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page