Breaking water to get things moving? Thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made it to 40 weeks yesterday. Given that it is twins, we were all expecting me to give birth at any time starting almost a month ago.

I talked to my MW yesterday. She thinks it would be reasonable (only if I want to) to break my water to try to move things along. As of two weeks ago, I was 3 cm dilated and 100% effaced. I have had a couple rounds of ctx, but nothing much.

DH and I talked last night and decided to wait some more. Here is why. I have tried lots of natural induction methods ... castor oil twice, strong raspberry leaf tea twice, sex, chiropractic, acupressure. None of these have done more than cause some mild ctx. I am afraid that breaking my water might not get things moving, and then I am giving myself some time limits. If it still doesn't get things going, then I would eventually need to get into the hospital where they have it on record that I once tested GBS+. I fear what they would do to me and the babies.

Any thoughts on this? How likely is it that breaking my water would get things moving? I really want my HB ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 PM

I would be worried that, especially with twins, you would potentially have a cord prolaps problem. If a head was not securely on the cervix or it shifted off the cervix after the water was broken. Also, the time clock that would be started at the time would also be a concern.

I would not do it, personally.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#3 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM

yeah, I double the cord prolapse.

I personally would never have my water broken, no matter how far along and or how far along in labor I was. It's there for a reason. It gives the baby(s) a nice cushion, and your cervix a nice cushion as well.

They have found that the onset of labor is with a hormone (CRH) the baby(s) and placenta(s) produce that signal the mother to go into labor. I also feel that if natural remedies like you have tried don't work, then your body/babies are not ready. Breaking the water puts a time frame on it. Most midwives, I'm generalizing even though I don't know your's, will do most things the moms/dads want, they want you to be in control, so I wouldn't take her leaving it up to you as her giving you the "ok sure, it's no problem, great idea" thing.

If you are already 100% effaced and 3 cm, it can't be long till it starts. If you are thinking, "what if I'm one of those moms who will NEVER go into labor on her own?" you can decide then at 42 weeks to intervene. And even then, i would start with sweeping the membranes.

I can't say I know how uncomfortable and/or how ready you must be to have these babies, because I have never carried twins. I have gone to 41wk3days with a 9lb 8oz baby, but that still doesn't measure up. The best thing you can do for you babies right now is wait for labor till the babies say it is time.
#4 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 07:55 PM

I wouldn't break the waters either. But I would ask for a stretch and sweep! Good luck and I hope labour starts soon!

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#5 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You're a stronger woman than I! At 39 weeks, I was trying everything. Long walks, nipple stim, herbs, castor oil did it for me but it also made for a long and dysfunctional labor. I wish I had waited and let the babies get into position; I think it would have made labor go a bit better. Anything's worth it for the homebirth though, I loved it.

You've gotten some good advice about AROM, sounds like something to avoid.

How about some long, brisk walks? Maybe around the mall since its so cold?

Good luck!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 26 Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I would be worried that, especially with twins, you would potentially have a cord prolaps problem. If a head was not securely on the cervix or it shifted off the cervix after the water was broken. Also, the time clock that would be started at the time would also be a concern.

Yes, I agree. If there were a good reason why you needed to get those babies out, it might balance out the risk. But if you are fine, babies are fine, I'd give it some more time. And kuddos to you to making it to 40 weeks with twins!

Serena
#7 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 AM

That's a little dangerous IME. Hopefully your midwife knows something you're not mentioning! I would worried about cord prolapse, AND the possibility that labor won't start after your water breaks. I let an OB convince me to have my water broken when I was 4-5cm. Contractions were irregular, but I couldn't get out of bed because of the risk of prolapse. Luckily, the nurse suggested some IV meds to help me relax, and labor progressed just fine. But otherwise I was looking right at cascade of interventin and a C-section. Obviously, at home it wouldn't have played out that way. But something to consider.
Also, IME, contractions hurt a lot worse after your water breaks!
Good Luck either way though. 40wks with twins is AWESOME!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#8 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 PM

I too would be uncomfortable with PROM in that situation, and most situations, actually unless labor was going full swing already. Are you doing NSTs or something else to help reassure you of babies' condition? If things look good, I'd continue to have faith that your babies know when to be born.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#9 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM

I would not allow it.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#10 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
don't do it. too much risk.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#11 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

It may be hard to wait, but I see no valid reason to do it. The risks outweigh the benefits IMO. I wouldn't get my water broken even after labor has started. It's a pretty serious interruption of the natural process of labor, and I hate how it has become so routine. Hang in there!!! The babies won't stay in there forever.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#12 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Try flax seed oil capsules both orally and vaginally (as close to your cervix as possible). It's easy to find and will give you something to do so you don't feel like you're not doing *anything* to encourage those babies to come

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#13 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM

No. I would not be comfortable with AROM.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#14 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM

I third the suggestions to wait. As previously mentioned :
1) possiblility of cord prolapse
2)Nothing wrong, so no need to interfere
3)You are only 40 weeks, not 42(remember, the first two weeks of the pg wheel, you aren't even pg yet
4) It is not unusual for a healthy mom to go fullterm with twins. I had a friend (who was originally planning a homebirth) go fullterm with TRIPLETS. She looked like someone had attached a Charleston Gray watermelon to her front- but they were born healthy, 8lb boy, 6.5 girl and 6.4 girl...
5) 100% 3 cm, most likely you will go pretty quick. You might need that amniotic fluid in there to cushion the baby's heads from each other til one drops into the pelvis (which also might not occur til labor actually begins, if this isn't your first pg..)
Just some random thoughts...
#15 of 26 Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
I third the suggestions to wait. As previously mentioned :
1) possiblility of cord prolapse
2)Nothing wrong, so no need to interfere
3)You are only 40 weeks, not 42(remember, the first two weeks of the pg wheel, you aren't even pg yet
4) It is not unusual for a healthy mom to go fullterm with twins. I had a friend (who was originally planning a homebirth) go fullterm with TRIPLETS. She looked like someone had attached a Charleston Gray watermelon to her front- but they were born healthy, 8lb boy, 6.5 girl and 6.4 girl...
5) 100% 3 cm, most likely you will go pretty quick. You might need that amniotic fluid in there to cushion the baby's heads from each other til one drops into the pelvis (which also might not occur til labor actually begins, if this isn't your first pg..)
Just some random thoughts...
Yes to all of those. There's no medical reason to do it, and it very easily could have harmful side effects. Especially with twins, you don't want to risk cord prolapse. Unless you have medical side effects like high blood pressure, take it easy the next few days and let your babies come when they're ready.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#16 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't do it. Same reasons as every has already mentioned.
#17 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM

i am curious to know what happened! did you go on your own already? hope all is well!
#18 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

Same here. Too risky and definitely worth the wait for labor to happen on its own.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#19 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM

I think you and your Husband's gut feeling is right. If all is healthy, let it be. Congrats on 40 weeks Mama! Good luck on your home birth!

'09   
#20 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still here and very pregnant. I have continued trying natural induction methods ... chiropractor and acupuncture. MW was here yesterday and did stretch and sweep. I will talk to her again on Friday.

She thinks my cervix is ripe already. Baby A is posterior and is therefore not moving to put needed pressure on my cervix to get things started. Without that pressure, my uterus is not inspired to contract. Without my uterus contracting, she doesn't move down.

So I keep waiting ...
#21 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 PM

Well, the good thing is, is that the babies have had a much better chance to grow well. Making it to 40 wks with twins, in this day and age, is a rarity (at least in this culture).

And no matter how long, it can't be much longer!

Hope it is sooner rather than later for you, though.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#22 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM

I am in Awe at your gestating abilities! (haha!)

and I am with the others about the rupture of membranes! I would not do it, I allowed them to break mine,( I was 5 cm at 10 days post dates) Made labor terrible and last a lot longer than I know it would have it I had just let it happen naturally.
#23 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 PM

Jen -- I think we met today at the chiro, what a small world!!! I hope labor kicks up soon for you and that babe turns or at least moves down enough to get things going a bit more.

I understand the concerns about being on the clock and transfer, but you're certainly in good hands with your mw for laboring as long as your body needs to. My two big worries with breaking the water are the cord prolapse issue and that it can make labor feel a lot longer. But lots of women also have their water break before contractions get going, so it could possibly be just what you need to get things going. And I'm sure you're ready for the birth work at this point just to meet those little blessings!!

But you and your body can totally do this!! I think you have some awesome support, especially if you might also have a certain totally awesome doula that recently commented on an upcoming twin birth (she was mine too! she rocks!) and a very knowledgeable midwife on your side. Again, 100% you and your body can do this!!! Us women are awesome and amazing in what we and our bodies can do!

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#24 of 26 Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenChaffee View Post
I'm still here and very pregnant. I have continued trying natural induction methods ... chiropractor and acupuncture. MW was here yesterday and did stretch and sweep. I will talk to her again on Friday.

She thinks my cervix is ripe already. Baby A is posterior and is therefore not moving to put needed pressure on my cervix to get things started. Without that pressure, my uterus is not inspired to contract. Without my uterus contracting, she doesn't move down.

So I keep waiting ...
have you tried www.spinningbabies.com? if nothing else, it will at least occupy some time while you wait, and maybe even get that baby to turn around!

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#25 of 26 Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM

Be strong, don't do it! Those babies know what they're doing. They will come out soon!

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#26 of 26 Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Just a stab in the dark here, are both babies head down? I just wrote about this on another post, but I had a similar problem. Both babes were head down, A was posterior and B was facing A. It was like they were hugging upside down. Cute, but it was a problem because the chin of Baby B prevented the shoulder of Baby A descending. So like you, no pressure on the cervix, no descent, etc.

What I ended up doing was (castor oil) but also sitting on the birthing stool and having an assistant hold Baby B from the out side. Mine was done in the context of pushing, but I think you could do the same at home. Sit somewhere like a birthing ball, toilet, where ever and hold Baby B in a way that might let Baby A drop. Or maybe hold Baby B while walking if that's even possible.

FWIW - I think you and I had the same midwife, although her back-up ended up catching my babes. The back-up (so amazingly awesome!) says she has more problems with the vertex-vertex position than any other because of this.

Just an idea. Hope things get moving soon!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page